What to do with a sick note??

Options
Hello...been lurking a while but first post cos in a panic!

I've been on Jobseekers Allowance for a few months but my doctor has today given me a sick note for a month and I haven't a clue as to what to do with it. I think I need to claim Incapacity Benefit...but how?? Do I have to end my JSA claim? How long does it take for the new benefit to come through?

Sorry if the answers are here already...I did a search but just got a lot of blank pages.

Please can anyone help? Thank you.
Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly!

Comments

• hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    Options
    You really need to get in touch with the jobcentre that is handling your claim and speak to them. It may take a bit to get the new benefit sorted so the sooner you get it sorted the better but if it is only going to be a short term problem you may be aswell sticking to the jobseekers - see what your local office says!

H
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • supersavingfrog
    Options
    Hi there,

I had a simmilar thing dorsetmiss,

They will try to place you on Incapacity benefit, and also should put you forward for income support just in case you dont have enough national insurance contributions. Ask for income support as well to cover all bases, otherwise you will have to go back and fill in another form.

Just show the jobcentre your sickness note from the doctor, and they will tell you how to proceed. They made a complete mess of my application, but thats typical of goverment departments.

Good luck!
    Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When I was claiming JSA I got a sick note from my doc for an ongoing back problem. I gave it to the job centre and all they said basically was that because I had a sick note for a month, I didn't have to look for a job for that month. When I asked about the possibility of me getting IB as I felt my back wasn't getting any better I was told I wouldn't get it as I was well enough to do sitting down job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure