Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

Options

Comments

• Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    Why would I email the CEO of a company about a small account issue? Wouldn't that be childish?

LOA will be far superior and you would get a quicker response.

HTHs.
  • johnwb89 wrote: »
    Sky are SUCH a pain in that once you cancel - they won't give you a deal for your entire package unless you active it again - thus leaving you open to a mess as you need to cancel again. it's such a tiring system. They invent discounts too. I accepted 60% in order to see what broadband deals I could get. I do that and it's £15pm which Is okay but I don't think it's good enough. So I cancel & now to see if it's the same - I have to !!!!ing re-activate it.

Sky want you to pay the full price and will do everything that they can to get you to pay the full price, thus making it hard to get discounts.
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    johnwb89 wrote: »
    Sky are SUCH a pain in that once you cancel - they won't give you a deal for your entire package unless you active it again - thus leaving you open to a mess as you need to cancel again. it's such a tiring system. They invent discounts too. I accepted 60% in order to see what broadband deals I could get. I do that and it's £15pm which Is okay but I don't think it's good enough. So I cancel & now to see if it's the same - I have to !!!!ing re-activate it.
    craigr98 wrote: »
    Sky want you to pay the full price and will do everything that they can to get you to pay the full price, thus making it hard to get discounts.

It is a game, which people need to play, People need to cancel their contracts when they finish. They will then get 50% off their TV and deals on their b/band.

When I joined sky a few years ago, it was via Quidco. Sky were incompetent as they gave me the cashback twice. For the first year, it was almost free for tv and bband, Since then, I have always got at least 50% off TV and I have got deals on bband.

HTHs.
  • Ziggy_Stardust
    Options
    I get the feeling that Sky are tightening up on their offers but while we are without these deals my family are actually able to see what we miss which really isn't much. Sky Tv finished on 3rd Sept, there is only one tv show we've missed but we got a free trial on Now Tv so watch it there and when that finishes we will pay for one month to finish watching the series. Our offer of half-price anytime calls went from £4 to £8 in July so we cancelled that and use our mobile minutes instead, all I have now is the free BB paying £18.99 line rental which is in a 12 month contract until July next year (or there is a price increase and I can cancel ;)), I will then more than likely move provider. These are all small amounts of money that I paid but my usage was small too, we have got a freesat recorder and are really happy with it so the longer sky leave us dangling the less chance they have of getting us back.
  • daverave
    Options
    I get the feeling that Sky are tightening up on their offers but while we are without these deals my family are actually able to see what we miss which really isn't much. Sky Tv finished on 3rd Sept, there is only one tv show we've missed but we got a free trial on Now Tv so watch it there and when that finishes we will pay for one month to finish watching the series. Our offer of half-price anytime calls went from £4 to £8 in July so we cancelled that and use our mobile minutes instead, all I have now is the free BB paying £18.99 line rental which is in a 12 month contract until July next year (or there is a price increase and I can cancel ;)), I will then more than likely move provider. These are all small amounts of money that I paid but my usage was small too, we have got a freesat recorder and are really happy with it so the longer sky leave us dangling the less chance they have of getting us back.

Our Sky TV cut off 2 weeks ago as they weren't budging from 40% off and to be honest there isn't really a lot we miss either. Signed up for the 14 day free trials of entertainment and movies with Now TV. If you are going to stay with Now TV for another month I suggest you go into your account and choose to cancel your pass and pick the option that you can't afford it at the moment. You will then be shown a couple of pages giving you reasons to stay but click through them saying you still want to cancel and then on the 3rd page you will be given an offer. I did this last night and was offered the entertainment pass for £5.49 a month for 4 months. I would have done the same with the movies pass but I had a 2 month free pass to use.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mchambers wrote: »
    We can all dream.:D

I got 75% off and £100 credit, last year, but doubt very much that they will match that, so will cancel ,let it go off and stay away if they can't tempt me back. (took a couple of weeks ,last time, but you can go without tv,unlike phone and internet, sonobig deal.
  • Wallhart
    Wallhart Posts: 240 Forumite
    edited 23 September 2017 at 8:33AM
    Options
    I just cancelled and getting offered 40%. One chat advisor offered 50%.

I'm holding off and even tempted to just get rid and live without. The funnier thing is that I want to upgrade from broadband to Fibe but their fibre max offer is only available to t.v. customers. Fine I'll go BT then as I would have signed up to their fibre deal and cant really be bothered to do the reconnect, recancel thing. So instead of only losing TV customer they've also lost a potential upgrade and broadband customer.Im sure there's some logic in their thinking but it definitely hasn't passed onto me.

I think Sky may have backed themselves into a corner and I think theuvea completely messed up. They are trying to recuperate the football cost to them but I think they may have over estimated people's willingness to leave due to cost.

There Sky Q strategy also seems a complete disaster. Why would you offer no deals or much lesser ones on Sky Q. I get the installation etc is costing them a lot but if you had faith in the product you would get as many people on it as possible. Where as O don't know a single person who has Sky Q. In fact I know 4 households who got rid of Sky because although they were interested in Sky Q they either couldn't get the right price and that put them off sky and didn't stay even when the normal tv offer came through or they just went meh and decides they would try without and be better off.

One of my friends said he has missed f1 the most but he's getting used to it and is happy with the extra money and although he was never interested before his wife has got him into Netflix and he's quite enjoying it
  • Jimmithecat
    Options
    We got rid of sky last January and have been very surprised we haven't missed it at all - we have Netflix and got a Now box package from Argos for £12 (3 months) to watch game of thrones - sky offered 60% off or a very basic package for £8 a month ( which offered little more than you get on free view actually)
    There are so many options - it would take a huge discount to get us back to sky
  • Wallhart
    Options
    So each time someone leaves that's lowering there top line without really effecting there cost base that much. Sky's problem is that people will change their habits like you have done and that is someone they are unlikely to ever get back.
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Had 60% which just ended, interested in Sky Q but they wanted £125 install, £65 a month for the full package plus multiroom with a 2Tb box.

Signed up as a new customer in my partners name, got a £65 install, full package, multiroom, 2Tb box for £52 a month, for 18 months.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback