Flight Ticket Release Dates - our new guide

articlealert2_banner.gif
Hi folks, we have a new Flight Ticket Release Dates guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback and if booking when seats are released bagged you a bargain.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Thanks for your help :)
MSE Sally

Comments

• blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If you're flying at a very popular time (Easter,Xmas etc) then I do not think you can go wrong with booking at the earliest opportunity on any airline.

One Caveat about early bookings though:

Airline schedules (dates\times\routes) are never fixed in stone until about 6 months out or even closer.
    So if you book mega early expect some alterations in times etc. and even route cancellations.

Be prepared with a fall back plan and a notion of your consumer rights if the alterations\cancellations are unsuitable.
  • I have read the article below with great interest. I am trying to book 2 seats to Madeira on 10/2/18 - 17/2/18 with BA, a full 1 year in advance. Seats have only just become available for these dates the last day or 2. Cost, over £600 each return.

A week earlier, seats are £59. Tweeted BA who say it is down to availability, which is absolute rubbish as I have been keeping check for the last 2 weeks and doubt very much that a high number of seats have been taken in 2 days.

Just so happens this is School half term, but hey is that me being cynical?

I was expecting to pay £500 ish, certainly not £1200 and as so far in advance am surprised I can't achieve this.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem? before anyone asks, my wife works at a school so can't change the dates :(
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    How much is business class?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Pushes cost up to £1440
  • richardw
    Look at flight+hotel on Ba.com or expedia
  • Thanks Richard. However have a Private apartment lined up that we are renting and want to go back to. Will look at Easyjet but there schedule is not available for Feb until later in the year
  • richardw
    You don't have to stay at the hotel if you book a flight+hotel deal.
  • mmm, good point. I'll check. Thanks
  • richardw
    Air Portugal have indirect flights from £187 return.
  • malkie76
    malkie76 Posts: 6,170 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    paulsjoy wrote: »
    Tweeted BA who say it is down to availability, which is absolute rubbish

It is entirely due to availability. Increased demand from passengers, at peak times with no availability for additional flights. The fact that passengers have or not have not yet booked seats doesn't impact on the direct availability.
    Legal team on standby
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure