Tesco Second Card

Read somewhere here that Tesco lets you have a second card, but couldn't find the thread again, so called to double check.
Rep took me through the 24 months 0% BT I wanted to transfer from the 4.9% interest zero-fee MBNA MT card ...

Helpfully pointed out info I didn't know before.

Namely, if you have had a card with Tesco for a year or more, you can ask them to transfer the "spare" limit to your new (second card).

Given that monthly repayments have been taking the BT balance down and Tesco generously increased the credit limit, there's quite a lot of spare balance that I could transfer in theory.

Haven't received the second Tesco card etc. yet, but has anyone else heard of this/done this?

Yours,

Comments

• Sad_Dad
    Sad_Dad Posts: 878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've done this with MBNA and Barclaycard and gained 2 nice big limits.

I believe you can also do this with Halifax. If Tesco have said they will merge the limits you should be okay.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    I did exactly this last week with Tesco, but they wouldn't let me transfer the whole limit as I wanted to keep the first card. They let me transfer all but £900 of my £10k limit.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes. Didn't have to wait a year. Tesco offered a second card in around six months and transferred the unused portion of the credit limit from the first card to the second.
  • OK, thanks for the replies.
    Took a while because MBNA did some extra ID checks and the Tesco card took ages to come through.

I called Tesco. The customer service rep didn't know what I was talking about and said he would have to "fill in a form" and send it to another department...

I persisted on the back of others' experience. Balance was shifted over today without any kind of warning/notice - only saw it because I logged in.

Periods for MTs/MBNA and BTs/Tesco are two and three months respectively, so I'm thinking of playing chicken with MBNA to see if they will offer me zero-fee MT if I don't make any transactions on the card for a month or so. Maybe if I specifically call them too...Probably a long shot, but worth it if it works.

Yours,
  • I should also have said that they didn't transfer the whole unused portion, which seems to be standard (as for SuzieSue above).
  • Just done this myself and shifted most of the limit from my balance transfer card, to my purchases card, which still has 0% for 2 years.
    Will keep the stooze pot going for a bit longer.

I've had both cards under a year. When I first got the purchases card, a few months back, I asked if I could shift the limit from the BT card. They declined saying that I'd have to close the BT card account, before I could do it. Today they've done it with no quibble. I guess they needed more data on me before they'd green light it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure