PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete

Comments

• Hou
    Hou Posts: 44 Forumite
    Incredible news :)
  • -pete-_2
    -pete-_2 Posts: 96 Forumite
    Great news @Hou and @fashionvictim, hope your moves go well, show us pictures when you're in!

@dgtazzman, sounds like you've ended up with a reasonable deal in the end, hope it all comes together for you.

I can't believe your landlord @Tygermoth, how some people sleep at night I'll never know.

News from us, they're currently installing the trusses so hopefully might have the roof on next week :) We're also due for our first visit with the site manager on Tuesday, not really too sure what we need to ask him other than about the possibility of installing a cat flap in the side of the house!
  • chlo88
    chlo88 Posts: 42
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Congratulations fashion victim!! How exciting, can't wait for pics.

Pete- we have the same meeting on Monday and we don't really know what to expect either. Hopefully we'll think of some questions when we're there, otherwise it'll be a very quick hi, nice to meet you situation....tumbleweed.... Ha!
  • chlo88
    chlo88 Posts: 42
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Can I ask a question that might seem daft? (you know FTB naivety and all that....) We are still optimistically hoping the property will build on time. Now they said they'll be ready by the 24th of June when we reserved back in December. The date 24th of June I just assumed would be completion day as in we get keys. However now I'm wondering if that's just the day they are expecting to finish building and then get checks and issue the 10 day notice. What do you guys think/exeperienced? Apparently they will clarify the month they expect the house to be ready this coming week.
  • dgtazzman
    dgtazzman Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    That 24th of June will just have been a projected/best guess date. Expect delays, especially considering all the rain we had this Winter.
  • Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 15 April 2016 at 6:10AM
    HI everyone, its great to see you are all moving along @Hou and @fashionvictim.

As predicted we got the email on wednesday - it basically said they are not going to take on the extra cost to level off the driveway, they know they can get some sap to buy this house - so sling your hook. (they said they will give us all our money back)

Shame.
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • Hou
    Cheers guys, although just had my final solicitors/options/stamp duty bill and that's going to hurt!!

Tygermoth - Whats the plan then, are you walking away?
  • Hi all!

Congrats to those completing/exchanging!

Our exchange deadline is 4th May so still got a couple of weeks.

We have our options meeting booked in for next Saturday. This will be our "forever home" so will probably spend quite a lot. Barratt extras are expensive!! Well compared to Bloor Homes who we bought off two years ago.

We're going to go for upgraded kitchen, full flooring and fitted wardrobes to 3 of 4 bedrooms. Maybe a couple of extra plug sockets/outside tap. I think it'll cost about £10-15k :eek:

They said we get discount if we floor multiple rooms though so that should actually be priced quite competitively. I know it would probably be cheaper to get it done by someone else but as we are selling we don't really have time we just want to get in and settled. Not easy to take time off with work either!

Hoping to hear about mortgage in next couple of days - I just hate the waiting around!

Good luck to all those still waiting.

Tygermoth I've been reading your saga with interest - what a nightmare?! Have they not even offered anything as compensation?

Although I notice you are buying in the SE - us too. I think the builders know if we don't buy someone else will! Hence no extras at all with ours.

Barratt just released the next phase and they sold out within 15 minutes again! Crazy.
  • Hou
    alice_kate wrote: »
    Hi all!

Congrats to those completing/exchanging!

Our exchange deadline is 4th May so still got a couple of weeks.

We have our options meeting booked in for next Saturday. This will be our "forever home" so will probably spend quite a lot. Barratt extras are expensive!! Well compared to Bloor Homes who we bought off two years ago.

We're going to go for upgraded kitchen, full flooring and fitted wardrobes to 3 of 4 bedrooms. Maybe a couple of extra plug sockets/outside tap. I think it'll cost about £10-15k :eek:

They said we get discount if we floor multiple rooms though so that should actually be priced quite competitively. I know it would probably be cheaper to get it done by someone else but as we are selling we don't really have time we just want to get in and settled. Not easy to take time off with work either!

Hoping to hear about mortgage in next couple of days - I just hate the waiting around!

Good luck to all those still waiting.

Tygermoth I've been reading your saga with interest - what a nightmare?! Have they not even offered anything as compensation?

Although I notice you are buying in the SE - us too. I think the builders know if we don't buy someone else will! Hence no extras at all with ours.

Barratt just released the next phase and they sold out within 15 minutes again! Crazy.

Hey, good news on the exchange and peding options meeting. Most builders will allow you to get carpets fitted before completion, so you won't need to worry about being there etc. Like you say though, prices might be competitive :beer:
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,439
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Tygermoth wrote: »
    HI everyone, its great to see you are all moving along @Hou and @fashionvictim.

As predicted we got the email on wednesday - it basically said they are not going to take on the extra cost to level off the driveway, they know they can get some sap to buy this house - so sling your hook. (they said they will give us all our money back)

Shame.

That totally sucks :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family