My Sisters Bank Won't Let her release My Inheritance To Me-Please Help.

Comments

• Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Another one here who thinks you should stand back and take stock. Your sister is ill, your other sister must be worried about her, so to pester them and threaten court action is just cruel. You will get your money, maybe not this week, maybe not this month, but it will come eventually. Until then you, as others have said, have somewhere to live and have your benefits to keep you fed and pay your bills.

You have had lots of good advice on here, but have for the most part chosen to ignore it. You will eventually be getting a sum of money that most people will never ever see, or have any hope of seeing. Have some compassion for your sisters, maybe offer help and visit your sick sister in hospital. You could end up building bridges which in my opinion are more valuable than any sum of money.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I totally understand how frustrating this is for you. BUT:

- Barclays CANNOT/WILL NOT change their policy. That is not going to change.

Yes that's the problem.
    Now I cannot get my inheritance because of this.
    My solicitors has told me the same as you have-
    That if my sisters does not get well, my well sister must go to the Court Of Protection.

But I hope that does not come to that but it could.
    And even if my sisters does and the Court Of Protection does give her full control of the account.
    Barclays Bank may still not let my sister pay me my money without the other sister.
    So I could be fighting for my inheritance in Court for years and the worst might come to the worst and I might not even get my money.

Personally, I would stay in an area that I was familiar with and where I had people I could reach out to. I wouldn't move away to a different area where I didn't know anyone - you talk about moving to Liverpool on the basis that it is cheaper to rent there.

There is a saying "better the devil you know" - Housing Associations are not perfect, but you could be moving from a moderately well run property to a private landlord who just cares about taking the money off you - you simply don't know. There are lots of 'ifs' at a time when your mental health is not good.

No No No.
    If I get my money then I will use it to move up North as I have planned and try to make a better life for myself.

But if I don't get my money then it's a different mater altogether.
    because if that happens I will have to stay on benefits for the rest of my life.
    And so I have much of a choice because I won't have the money to move.
    Because I won't be able to afford it.
    And it is very difficult to move though the HA Home Exchange scheme.
    That Homeswaper website is useless.
    You read the many posts on this and other UK forums, of HA like me who are trying to move though the Home swap and cannot.

Okay there is a chance that I can still get a Private flat even though I am on benefits.
    It is true that a lot of private landlords and letting agents don't take DSS.

But there are some that do and I know some people who like me are on benefits who have found private lettings with landlord or letting agencies.

But it's more difficult to find if you are on benefits but it can be done.
    There is a website here that lists all the landlord who take DSS and HB.
    http://www.dssmove.co.uk

But they want very large deposits of several months rent in advance and others want a years rent.
    Which for me would be a problem because I don't have that kind of money.
    And I won't unless I get my inheritance.
    There was no guarantee that you would get any money from your mother - ie she could have spent it all before she died, so you are no worse off at the moment and you are not under any pressure to move.

I never had a close relation ship with my mother after my father died.
    So I was surprised when I found out she had left a will and included me in it.

My Ex-CMHT social worker said the same thing as you did.
    My mother could have cut me out of her will and left everything to my 2 sisters.
    But she Didn't.
    Which proves that she did care something for me after all or cared for me more than I knew.

The one thing I keep on telling myself is that-If it all goes wrong as it now has done.

And the worse comes to the worse and I don't get my inheritance.
    At least I know that my mother died trying to do the right thing.
    She wanted me to have the money and so would have dad.

But my mother and father are not here now and they cannot control what happens from beyond the grave.
    It has now all gone wrong and I now face could face the prospect of not getting my money.

But not going to let that happen to me-Not if I can help it.
    I am going to fight this all the way and I intend to do so.

If my sister does not get well and my sister refuses to go to the Court Of Protection.

Or even if my sisters does and the Court Of protection does grant all right to the account to my sister.

Barclays Bank might still not let my sister have control of the account even though the Court Has Ordered it.
    And if that is the case then I have going to have a terrible time trying to get my inheritance.
    And I could loose my fight and not get it at all.

If that happens the worst thing is that I will be as I am now on benefits for the rest of my life and will have to stay here in this area with my HA.

But that's not what I want and if that happens, I won't like it.
    And how am I supposed to live with knowing that mu has lefts me 118k and knowing I can never claim it?
    Because of this situation which is not my fault?

I don't think I could.
    I don't think anyone could.
    It will be a difficult thing to live with.

You read about stories like this where people have been left money by their relatives and it's all gone wrong and they cannot claim it and don't get anything.
    But you don't think it's going to happen to you.
    But now it has happened to me and I am devastated and I don't know what to do.
    It's not fair and it's unjust.

It is a very cruel thing to be given hope as I was given with mums will.
    As if I had got my inheritance I could have made a new life for myself.
    And to have it taken away from me like that.
    Now I am going to be stuck here on benefits in this life I don't want if for the rest of my life if I don't get my inheritance.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It has now all gone wrong and I now face could face the prospect of not getting my money. No you are not facing the prospect of not getting your money

If my sister does not get well and my sister refuses to go to the Court Of Protection. Or even if my sisters does and the Court Of protection does grant all right to the account to my sister.

Barclays Bank might still not let my sister have control of the account even though the Court Has Ordered it. Why on earth not?
    And if that is the case then I have going to have a terrible time trying to get my inheritance. No you are not. You need to be patient instead of focussing on all the things that are not going to happen,
    And I could loose my fight and not get it at all.
    Yes you will. But you are going to have to wait.

And how am I supposed to live with knowing that mu has lefts me 118k and knowing I can never claim it? Because that is not the situation and you are going to be able to claim it. Just not immediately.

But now it has happened to me and I am devastated and I don't know what to do......
    And to have it taken away from me like that. You have been repeatedly told what to do, by everyone on here and by the solicitor you have consulted. There is nothing more anyone can do or say because you aren't able to hear it at the moment.

Please think about finding a new GP - the MH team may now in a position to help, or there might be other options such as CBT if you've not tried that before which might help you deal with some of the circular thought patterns a little more.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • marcelli
    marcelli Posts: 24 Forumite
    ... but the bank will have to follow the probate law; when the executor problems are sorted out, there will be documents of some sort which your sister can take to the bank and they will have to go along with it.
    It will work out, you'll see.
  • System
    Community Admin
    I have just phoned my Sister just now but she would not even talk to me.
    She put the phone down on me.
    So I phoned her again and again put the phone down on me,

I was going to tell her what I have been advised here what she must do.
    but she has gone hostile again and refuses to talk to me.

So I will have to tell my Solicitor because if my sister as executor does not do her duty to me and try to sort this out he will take her to court.
    So I must tell him.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    annbarbs wrote: »
    I have just phoned my Sister just now but she would not even talk to me.
    She put the phone down on me.
    So I phoned her again and again put the phone down on me,

I was going to tell her what I have been advised here what she must do.
    but she has gone hostile again and refuses to talk to me.

So I will have to tell my Solicitor because if my sister as executor does not do her duty to me and try to sort this out he will take her to court.
    So I must tell him.

Did you ask her how your other sister was doing?
    Did you accuse her of trying to cheat you out of your inheritance?
  • System
    Community Admin
    Did you ask her how your other sister was doing?
    Did you accuse her of trying to cheat you out of your inheritance?

No I didn't get a chance to talk to her at all.

I phoned her and as soon as she heard my voice she said she didn't want to talk to me and put the phone down.
    When I phoned her back again she did the same thing.

My Solicitor did warn me that my sister might try to keep my inheritance from me.
    And he was suspicious when I told him that my sister told me they have already got their money.

He said my money should have been paid to me at the same time my other sisters received it.
    My solicitor has told me from the beginning that if my sisters who are executors are with holding my inheritance deliberately we can take them to court.
    Which I will do if that is the case.
  • Your sister is worried about the sister who is ill. She does not need pestering about money at this time. You must stop threatening her.
    Your other sister is ill. I think you are ill too. You need to see your GP and get help, just like your sister is having to do.
    Your are going round in circles.
    Just be patient.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    annbarbs wrote: »
    No I didn't get a chance to talk to her at all.

I phoned her and as soon as she heard my voice she said she didn't want to talk to me and put the phone down.
    When I phoned her back again she did the same thing.

My Solicitor did warn me that my sister might try to keep my inheritance from me.
    And he was suspicious when I told him that my sister told me they have already got their money.

He said my money should have been paid to me at the same time my other sisters received it.
    My solicitor has told me from the beginning that if my sisters who are executors are with holding my inheritance deliberately we can take them to court.
    Which I will do if that is the case.

Remember that your sister is going through a bad time too. She is bereaved, her sister is ill, she is having to deal with all the probate issues and she is having to move. You may have just phoned her at a bad time and she couldn't face a long conversation about legal issues.

I am not sure that your solicitor should be saying that he thinks your sister will keep your inheritance from you when he doesn't know the family. It is certainly his job to try and find out what is going on, but he should be more careful with his opinions.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    OP, in my opinion you do NOT need a solicitor at this time, you need an advocate who will talk you through the situation, who will accompany you to banks, solicitors and so on.

Is there no organisation in your area that would have such services, a charity perhaps? Surely there is some organisation who will help you.

You should cease posting here for a while I think, and get some assistance like I mentioned above. You appear not to listen to anyone and are making yourself very stressed. That is not good for your mental health at all.

You seem to be doing this all by yourself. That is not good. Everyone needs someone to talk to and advise them in situations such as yours.

Please try to get some help from someone, somewhere in your area. You obviously need a neutral person to help you now.

I think you have issues with your sisters that is not helping matters either, and may be clouding your judgment, or making you angry, without thinking things through. That may be why your well sister is not prepared to talk to you right now. If all she is getting is threats of litigation, when she voluntarily moved out of mum's house, well, put yourself in her shoes for a little while.

We here have done our best. But you consistently fail to listen.

I wish you well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.5K Travel & Transport