Real-life MMD: I got £400 for finding someone a job, should I give them half?

Comments

• I had similar. I was struggling to find temp work, and a facebook friend suggested an agency. I joined them - and gave her name as the 'referer'. Once I'd worked 10 shifts, she got £250.

I wouldn't have found or known about the agency if it wasn't for her. I got a lot of work from them. Even though she earns double what I do, I wasn't expecting it to be shared at all. After all, it was never my money to begin with!
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    you wouldn't have the money without her,

she wouldn't have the job without you.

So the friend gets half the referral fee and the new job and the pay rise? Sounds fair.:rotfl:
  • Money saving experts don't give money away!!!!!
  • This is a no brainer. Your friend got a job for more pay from your recommendation. She should be happy with that and thank you for your help. She should also be happy for you getting the money. She should buy you a drink as a thank you. You should buy her a drink as a "Well done getting the new job" and move on.
  • With most bonus scheme there is a proviso that the new employee has to stay for at least 6 months, so I wouldn't hand anything over till it is definitely yours.

But I wouldn't split it - after the fee is for you, for saving the company money on recruitment and providing a reference and putting your reputation on the line.

If you friend insists on splitting it, it is going to fester either way, you for having to split it or her for you not splitting it.
    You can always earn more money, but you can never buy more time
  • of course she should get half, so long as shes going to share half of the pay rise she has each month:rotfl:
  • JVRMac
    JVRMac Posts: 212 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No I don't think you should split it all, my last employer had this scheme and I recommended several people through it, I got the bonus for it and they got a job.
    I'm certain your friend didn't apply for the job to get a share of £400 and I certainly wouldn't feel obliged to give her a share just because she has been presumptuous.
  • I read this with interest as I started at a new job in January and during the online application I completed a section about whether a current employee had referred me and I knew an ex colleague had gone there about 6 months ago so put her name in, although she didn't know I'd applied. Since arriving I've found out the firm pay £1000 for refferals. I've met her for lunch since joining and neither of us mentioned it. I'm a bit embarrassed as firstly I think I might of spelt her name wrong, so she might not of even got it, or maybe she's just keeping quiet. I am happy to of got the job, but thought she may of offered to go halves. I've decided to leave it, but would be interested to hear what people think. Thanks
  • She's a friend, yes? So go for a drink, pay for the booze and congratulate her on getting a higher paid job. Then keep the rest. Of course, if she doesn't think that's enough, just ask her if she plans to give you half of her extra salary in the job YOU got HER. I think she'll soon go very quiet....
  • florere
    florere Posts: 104 Forumite
    You get a bonus for referring somebody for a job, that's your money unless you agreed something else, It seems to me that she has done very well with a £300 per month pay rise.

Having said that, it might be time to be pragmatic, how important is your continued friendship, it might be worth giving her some of the money just to keep things running smoothly, personally, I think she has a bit of a cheek asking you for half the money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure