Feb-YOU-ary 2013 - Take your lunch to work thread

Comments

• I'm definitely joining in with this. I work in the centre of Edinburgh, and as I haven't been working for a few months prior to this, I am totally out of the swing of taking lunch into work with me. I have been having to pop out for a sandwich (and usually while I'm there, a nice coffee to take back to my desk), and being right on Princes Street, things tend to be a bit overpriced anyway.

We have a kitchen with a kettle, fridge and microwave though, so there's no reason at all to be wasting getting on for a tenner per week! This week at the supermarket, I picked up some Cup-a Soups, some Mugshots and a couple of microwaveable pasta meals, so even though I spent a few pounds on those, it should save me loads over the next two or three weeks.

I am also training myself to drink the instant coffee they have at work. _pale_ Has to be done...right...? :rotfl:
    I'm a Money and Debt Adviser for a homelessness and housing charity in Scotland. If you have any questions about debt management and debt relief under Scots Law, just ask.
    The pain you feel today is the strength you feel tomorrow.
  • Blimey, this making lunch thing must be getting into a habit: I found myself realising that I didn't have something for tomorrow so I dutifully trotted into the kitchen and popped on some pasta, pesto and pine nuts. It's a bit carb-heavy, but for a quick lunch it's certainly not bad.

That makes 7 workdays in a row that I've made my lunch *puffs out chest proudly*
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • Hello, a full 5 days for me last week, some things I had were;
    ham and cheese croissants (reduced croissants of course)
    chicken tikka wraps (left over tikka from dinner)
    full english (left overs and nuked at work)

I am off all but Tue this week so just 1 day for me this week, going to have blt's. Off to update sig.
    Littlewoods £10 Very BNPL £234.42
    My total debt is [STRIKE]£7242.32[/STRIKE]£244.42
    Extra payment a week: This week: £
    Total to date: £1279.29 not incl this week
    #33 NOvember challenge
  • Not at work today (I don't work Mondays) but full of a cold and slept through lunch, so that must count... :rotfl:
    I'm a Money and Debt Adviser for a homelessness and housing charity in Scotland. If you have any questions about debt management and debt relief under Scots Law, just ask.
  • mrsdee
    mrsdee Posts: 555 Forumite
    I've found I'm just in the habit now of preparing a lunch for next day whilst I'm getting dinner ready in the evening. So whilst pans are on the go, I'm wandering around kitchen, looking in fruit bowl etc and getting my lunch all packed and in the fridge. Painless and the feeling of satisfaction is GREAT!
    Sick and tired of waking up sick and tired...
    Debt-free, now focussing on being mortgage-free
    MORTGAGE : [STRIKE]Dec 2012 £133,602[/STRIKE]. Dec 2013 £114,092.47 July 2015 £85654
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    Hi there :) My husband was spending too much money on stodge from staff restaurant at work and even so, he was skipping breakfast and complaining that sometimes he just didn't have time to queue and eat so went without. He didn't look well and was losing weight.

There is a staff kitchen on his floor with cooker, fridge, freezer, microwave, kettle and toaster-grill thingy, so we decided to take advantage of that.

I'd like to join in because my verry picky OH (son of a chef) is constantly stretching my shopping abilities, trying to find him new things. Sandwiches + crisps + yogurt just doesn't cut it for him.

I understand I have to contribute a favourite lunch so the thing making OH's eyes light up at the moment is posh bread with fruit and either yellow stickered cheese or organic mature Cheddar from Lidl. I've been buying it when I see it on offer eg Gail's Bread and Daylesford bread 50% off at Ocado recently and stashing in freezer. I can get organic Fairtrade bananas at local Lidl for $1 (sorry pound sign doesn't work).

He commutes to London and gets there early so has time before work to have breakfast. He is loving Sainsbury's SO organic express porridge with Bonne Maman jam plonked in - Morrisons had lots of mix n match tiny pots when I went there.

Budgetwise I won't buy anything over $2 unless he can get more than one meal out of it. I try to keep to $10-$15 a week, not sure how well that's working though. :(
  • Hello :wave:

I am still doing this challenge and have not yet bought lunch at work this year!! :T :D

Tomorrow I shall be taking Tuna, mayo & onion on brown, one of my favourites. :)

Hope everyone is doing well.

CW
    NSD Challenge 2015: Jan 20 / 20 (2 x 5 in-a-row) / Feb 5 / 12 (4 in-a-row) :D

Lesson learnt from 2012: I cannot be trusted to credit card stooze!

Barclaycard at 2 / 02 / 2015 [STRIKE]£4,600[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£4540[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£4250[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£4000[/STRIKE] £3250 need to pay it off by 08 / 2015 before mortgage completion
  • kittiej
    kittiej Posts: 2,564 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    :THelloooo everyone :j

Well done to all of you new and established posters :T

aww Snaggles, the cold thing is not good :o welcome to the thread :hello:

Well dones to PositiveBalance, Betty Crumble, Snaggles, mrsdee and CW :T:j:T Keep up your good work :D

Welcome also to Edwardia :hello: it must be hard work having an OH who is used to good food. Maybe he should be the one making his lunches :D wishing you the best of luck!

I took Quorn roll sarnies today and was feeling a bit of a lazy so-and-so so had crisps and Kitkat from my stash in work :D

Excellent everyone :dance:
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • Ahh, thank you for the welcome. :D

I am taking some tomato and basil pasta in to work tomorrow, to microwave at lunch time. And some Lemsip. :)
  • PositiveBalance
    PositiveBalance Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 February 2013 at 7:22PM
    kittiej wrote: »
    Well dones to PositiveBalance, Betty Crumble, Snaggles, mrsdee and CW :T:j:T Keep up your good work :D

Thanks! :D
    Welcome also to Edwardia :hello: it must be hard work having an OH who is used to good food. Maybe he should be the one making his lunches :D wishing you the best of luck!

Welcome Edwardia :wave:, but ditto! ;)
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business