Mislead Thomson Travel Agent - Deposit Refund?

Evening all - First post here so I apologise if this is in the incorrect place.

I booked up with Thomson holidays two weeks ago. Place I booked is Tenerife June 17th all inclusive.

I asked the travel agent for central Tenerife close to all shops/bars/clubs/beach etc . The travel agent(about 18 full of makeup and talking more about her new years eve plans) showed me a place called Gran Oasis Resort then went on to say how it was in the heart of Tenerife and the "place to be" I took her word for it and after seeing some photo's decided to book.

She seemed to rush through the booking process and flicked between 7 different windows on her ancient pc. I was given the total of £1340 for 2 for 1 week. Thought it was a little expensive so questioned that and was told that it was the best I'd get.

Signed the paper and paid the £233 deposit.

Had just broke my hand 3 hours before so couldnt really check the papers I had signed(stupidly).

Anyway, I got home to read some reviews about this place and I have been lied to. The place ive signed for is 3.1km away from the closest shop has a reputation for having bad food is 25 minute walk uphill and not very nice.

I have checked the papers and apparently have paid for

2 x Water park passes @ £62
2 x extra baggage (not needed) @ £20
2 x Travel insurance (I get it free) @ £45
2 x Excess waiver @ £20
2 x Inflight meaLS @ £30

Not only that. I could/can get exactly the same holiday on their website for £242 cheaper.

I did not need nor ask for these extra's what this orange chav has decided to add on and not tell me about.

I was happy to pay the money but after being lied to and mislead I am not anymore.

Please give me advice about how to go about getting my deposit back before I call them. I will not be paying the rest of the money but hoping to get my deposit back.

Anything about laws/legality I can throw at them?

Sorry for the bad grammar and novel. 1 handed typing isn't good.

Thank you for any advice.

Comments

• The hotel is in Playa de las Americas and is rated #13 out of 71 in the resort so I would be surprised if you could grumble over the quality of the hotel. All hotels get some bad reviews as it is impossible to please everyone all the time.

From what you say I don't think you have any grounds to complain about the standard of accomodation, you haven't after all even visited the hotel so what makes you think it is unsuitable? A few bad reviews on websites? You make no mention that you requested a hotel that was on level ground and from the reviews it's food and drink appear perfectly acceptable.

The extras are a different matter, you should have been told about them but at the end of the day it is your responsibility to check the documentation and sign that everything is above board.

It is the norm for online prices to be significantly cheaper, you are doing the donkey work for them so you get a better price it is as simple as that. If you want online prices then book online or get a quote online and ask your local branch if they will pricematch.

The girl being an orange chav or having an ancient computer is pretty much irrelevant to be honest, I can pretty much say for certain you will not be refunded on these grounds alone.
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Storm1811 wrote: »
    Had just broke my hand 3 hours before so couldnt really check the papers I had signed(stupidly).

Your anatomy must be reaaaally different than most. :)

I'm guessing, though could of course be proven wrong...that your signing the documents could reasonably be deemed to mean you were "told about" the extras you were charged for...as for the location, again, you agreed to the hotel - though I understand it's not in the location you requested...could end up being a he said/she said sort of situation?

I'm just not sure why you went ahead and booked when you were obviously so unimpressed with the agent that served you? I'm always amazed when people book something without doing some research of their own - though I get that you trusted the advisor to get you the holiday you wanted. Pretty sure others here have said that the have gotten a shop to match the website price - but that would require knowing what the website price was before booking.

I do hope it gets sorted out for you, but if not, it's a good learn for next time.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • stephb34
    stephb34 Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Storm1811 wrote: »
    Evening all - First post here so I apologise if this is in the incorrect place.

She seemed to rush through the booking process and flicked between 7 different windows on her ancient pc. I was given the total of £1340 for 2 for 1 week.

Actually for everything you've got its not too bad a price, Tenerife does hold its price well.

Thought it was a little expensive so questioned that and was told that it was the best I'd get.

What has her ancient pc got to do with anything

Signed the paper and paid the £233 deposit.

Do you read with your broken hand

Anyway, I got home to read some reviews about this place and I have been lied to. The place ive signed for is 3.1km away from the closest shop has a reputation for having bad food is 25 minute walk uphill and not very nice.
    I can't really comment on this as i havent researched this hotel.

I have checked the papers and apparently have paid for

2 x Water park passes @ £62
    2 x extra baggage (not needed) @ £20
    2 x Travel insurance (I get it free) @ £45
    2 x Excess waiver @ £20
    2 x Inflight meaLS @ £30

The water park passes can probably be cancelled, she must have mentioned these, was your broken hand listening.
    The baggage you've paid for is probably upgraded to 20kgs from 15 if you only want 15 go in the shop and ask if you can remove that and the inflight meals. The insurance you have a 14 day cooling off period if you are within this time scale you can canx this and the excess waiver.

Not only that. I could/can get exactly the same holiday on their website for £242 cheaper.

When did you check the website as prices change all the time its no good checking it yesterday if you booked 2 weeks ago, they can fluctuate every 5 minutes.

I did not need nor ask for these extra's what this orange chav has decided to add on and not tell me about.

You must have at some point agreed to these things and if you didn't why did you sign for them, and unless this girl has been going on holiday to tenerife with her parents how much factual knowledge do you think an 18 year old has.

I was happy to pay the money but after being lied to and mislead I am not anymore.

Please give me advice about how to go about getting my deposit back before I call them. I will not be paying the rest of the money but hoping to get my deposit back.

You wont get your deposit back, thats why its called a deposit, im afraid you only have yourself to blame, you can only try the things i've mentioned above to get the final price reduced. At any point did you ask for a discount cause sometimes if you dont ask you dont get.

Anything about laws/legality I can throw at them?

Sorry for the bad grammar and novel. 1 handed typing isn't good.

Thank you for any advice.

Hope you have some joy getting the extras removed cause legally thats all you can do.
  • Incapuppy
    Incapuppy Posts: 5,713 Forumite
    Can you not ask for your booking to be transferred to alternative, more suitable accommodation?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure