PINsentry Calculator device from BARCLAYS

Options

Comments

• Janko179
    Options
    Vortigern wrote: »
    Very few people would know what sort of EEPROM is embedded in their bank cards. If you have such knowledge, many would suspect that you are trying to hack or re-program the chip.

You need to order a new card.

Re-programing chip of my card would be still fine as long as I get it to work. But I have no idea how to do this. Do you think the reason could be in missing ARQC values - all of them 1, 2 and 3? But I don't know how to get and use ARQC. I never worked with it.
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Janko179 wrote: »
    Re-programing chip of my card would be still fine as long as I get it to work. But I have no idea how to do this. Do you think the reason could be in missing ARQC values - all of them 1, 2 and 3? But I don't know how to get and use ARQC. I never worked with it.
    You seem to have assumed that I have some technical expertise in this field. I have no such knowledge. I don't know what ARQC is and I don't need to know.

I know how to use a bank card with a PIN Sentry device. I know how to get a replacement if either should fail. That's all I need.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why dont you get a replacement card and try it with the device, if it works then all good, if not then order a new PIN Sentry and hopefully it works.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If the reader is several months old, it could just need a new battery. Otherwise, turning up at your bank should produce a replacement reader there and then.

My husband and I had to go to two sessions to open accounts as the bank's system had a failure, after processing just one account. The admin person forgot to give me a reader for the account, but when I mentioned this on the next visit, she produced one from a drawer in her desk.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    If the reader is several months old, it could just need a new battery.

I find it hard to believe that any reader that's a few months old would need a new battery, I've had my Nationwide one since they were first issued and it's still working fine. I suppose if you used it many times every day it might run out, but I can't imagine why anyone would. I also suspect (can't be bothered to walk up the stairs to look) that they are sealed units anyway and that it's not really possible to replace the battery.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This thread is one of the bizarrest I've come across. There is surely no legitimate reason for wanting to know how to hack a chipped card
  • DCFC79
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that any reader that's a few months old would need a new battery, I've had my Nationwide one since they were first issued and it's still working fine. I suppose if you used it many times every day it might run out, but I can't imagine why anyone would. I also suspect (can't be bothered to walk up the stairs to look) that they are sealed units anyway and that it's not really possible to replace the battery.

Ive got 3 or 4 and the RBS one which was used alot needed a new battery. You can replace the batteries in the Barclays and RBS devices, cant remember about the others I have.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Ive got 3 or 4 and the RBS one which was used alot needed a new battery. You can replace the batteries in the Barclays and RBS devices, cant remember about the others I have.

If you're showered with these things, they are - at least - handy sources of cells :rotfl:

Usually it is a 20mm lithium coin cell - just right for a PC! My Barclays ones keep me in LR44s - four per PINSentry. Even the awful HSBC/M&S/First Direct dongles can be snapped in half (horizontally) to release a button cell.
  • DCFC79
    Options
    polymaff wrote: »
    If you're showered with these things, they are - at least - handy sources of cells :rotfl:

Usually it is a 20mm lithium coin cell - just right for a PC! My Barclays ones keep me in LR44s - four per PINSentry. Even the awful HSBC/M&S/First Direct dongles can be snapped in half (horizontally) to release a button cell.

They are yes, they are also interchangeable so I can use Nationwide device with say my RBS card.
  • mt99
    mt99 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    probably saying the obvious but if you leave the card in the reader after using it the battery will run down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure