Debt Free Determined!!!

Comments

• reality_check
    reality_check Posts: 752 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I LOVE Sister Act!! I want to go see the one in London where you watch the film and a gospel choir are there and sing the songs when they come on. Did you enjoy it?

I made that mistake with my credit card being linked up to sites...so easy just to put the 3 digits on the back into websites and before you know it, new clothes on the way!!

Are you paying interest on the credit cards and a monthly fee on your overdraft?

I would personally, let the car run its course for now, see if you can get a cash balance transfer into your bank account and pay off the overdraft so no more fees, and then make sure both cards are on 0% and only having 2 cards to chip away at seems a lot more manageable...xxx
    Starting debt £18,675.63 :eek:
    Current debt: £5,000 (16/05/18)
  • Just wanted to pop in and say hello! I can see your numbers are coming down so well done!

With regards to splurges I'm exactly the same!! I think oh what's one more dress @ £30 we all deserve a little treat now again, then before I know it another CC is at its limit! I've downloaded a debt free hypnotherapy app but I keep falling asleep before the opening section is finished :rotfl: I'm hoping it can help retrain my brain so I stop compulsive spending :(!

Anyway hope you enjoyed sister act although I cannot believe you had never seen the movie!
    Debt Total October 2017 £20,511.27 :eek::eek:
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Good to see the numbers coming down, but you do need to remove those details :p
  • I can't believe I hadn't seen the movie either!! It's so up my street and I love Whoopi. The theatre was amazing we were all up dancing at the end, I thought Alexandra Burke played the part really well. Reality I love the idea of having a gospel choir there whilst watching the film!

I am paying interest on my overdraft, I had it in my plan to reduce the overdraft in £100 installments, having spoken to my bank found out they perform a credit check each time you change your limit. Regardless of whether you're increasing it or decreasing it because they essentially reapply for the whole overdraft but at a different amount. I'm trying to keep my credit score up so have since been paying the 'overdraft' payments to the credit cards and put the overdraft on hold. I don't seem to have been offered a cash balance transfer from either of my CC's :( I only have around £800 left on one card so the bulk is on the other card, I'm then hoping its just the one CC to worry about!

timetobefrugal you'll have to let me know how you get on with the hypnotherapy app :rotfl: I would imagine it'd send me to sleep too. I'm definitely improving with the compulsive spends but I don't think its something that will ever completely leave me, I'm just learning to control it better ;)

Thanks Hiddenidentity, you'll be glad to know all credit card details have been wiped from my phone and computer so I no longer have any excuse! The worst was Apple Pay on my phone because all it needed was my thumb print and my items would be ordered :mad: TOO easy!

I have also returned a lot of what I had ordered on my CC so the damage isn't all that bad and I have extra being paid to my CC on Friday to make up for what I did spend. I find that buying things on my credit card I was always more careless. Is it two sizes to small? Will I ever wear it? Is it ridiculously overpriced? Who cares, its not directly affecting my pocket right now, so into the wardrobe it goes. Now its more, how many wears will I get out of this? Do I need this? REALLY need this?? Its work in progress... :money:

Thank you all for your support, I'm so glad I'm not the only one to have these credit-card-weak-moments :o

R x
    LBM 07/03/17 £14,879.52 18/04/18 £6,100 Starting again.. 31/07/19 £13,367.34
  • RedGoose
    RedGoose Posts: 167 Forumite
    Hi RebeccaAnneY,

Well done on your repayments so far. I've got another tip (which you may have done already but it didn't occur to me for a while): a lot of shops add you to their e-mail mailing list. With something like the catalogue, if you think you'll be tempted to spend on it, unsubscribe from the emails so temptation doesn't pop up in your inbox or on your phone! (Less rubbish in your inbox then too :))

Hope this helps.
    Sealed pot challenger#1677
    2012 total: £252.11/£200; 2013:£0/£250
    Virtual sealed pot challenger 2013 no.12: £25.97/£200
  • Thanks for the support RedGoose! I need all the tips I can get :rotfl: I definitely get tempted by those emails, I will have to make sure to unsubscribe as some are so tempting. I've had my eye on Skinny Bakery for a while (I follow Slimming World and their treats are 'Syn' friendly) they emailed me last week with an offer and I NEARLY spent £25 on cakes/brownies/cookies/meringues. I'm kidding myself by saying they are diet friendly because I'll eat the lot in one go.. not so diet friendly, not so money saving friendly either. I have closed the catalogue account down so that's one temptation removed! I'll get to work on all the unsubcribes today. Do you have a diary? I must take a look!

I'm hoping to reach £10k paid by my LBM 1 year anniversary in January, can't believe its been over 6 months since I started this! Must be something to do with wishing time away between paydays, I used to get excited about paydays for what I could afford to buy now its for what I can afford to pay off :T I balance transferred my CC yesterday so its much lower interest (4.9% I think) although part of the balance is 0% at the minute. I'm not sure how it works and hope the 0% keeps running alongside the 4.9%.

I have 20p to last me until payday on Friday, petrol in my car, food in my cupboards, there shouldn't be any need for spending. 20p lucky me!!!! :p

Failing miserably on the diet front, wanted a stone gone by my birthday end of August but I'm just not in the mind set :mad: I can get into the swing of it for a week or two then I just get bored, maybe I should change my meals up. At least 20p won't get me much chocolate/sweets/takeaway to sabotage my diet. Every cloud! :rotfl:

Hope you're all having a lovely week. Friday is on the horizon :cool:

R x
  • Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for popping in on my diary and wishing me luck.

You're doing really well, I'm sure you'll hit your target x
  • Petey1
    Petey1 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi there both me and my partner are in debt and I lost my job and things got worse calls all the time worrying and stress!! We ended up going with step change debt charity they are really helpful and they help with the companies to stop any interest. They have a range of plans to help depending on your circumstances hope this helps!! Pete.
  • Thanks for your support Purplemumof2, it won't be the end of the world if I don't hit the target, as long as I get there! These targets do push me a bit harder though! Petey1, I'm glad they have helped you, it can be so consuming but I feel like I'm making good headway at the moment. Shifed the credit cards around and I'm hoping I get a good balance transfer offer from Barclaycard soon. They are usually pretty good with their offers!

Payday today, that's looking like...

£364 - Weekly pay
    £245.00 Credit cards
    £ 53.02 Lloyds Account Charge, O/D fee and Interest :(
    £18.90 O2 Phone Bill
    £16.25 Water bill
    £21.00 Car Tax

Not a lot of breathing space this week but also should be a no spend week. Lunch with mum on Saturday with the trusty old clubcard vouchers. I had the most amazing cream tea last weekend, I'm so obsessed with them at the moment and was worried it had sabotaged my diet effort but weighed in yesterday and I'm down 4 lbs! Also had some free cinema tickets so took my Dad and Sister to the cinema last Saturday to watch Dunkirk. It really, really moved me. I've heard mixed opinions about it but I thought it was honestly one of the best films I have seen in.. well ever I guess. It was very emotional and beautifully done. I highly recommend it!

Stocked with food and petrol so should see me through to next weekend. I still have 4 free cinema tickets left so that's always something to do. I'm secretly hoping the weather isn't amazing this weekend so I don't feel guilty about not doing much.

OH working all weekend :( he'll honestly end up burning himself out. He wants us to buy a house and he's not letting anything get in his way! You've got to respect a man that knows what he wants and goes out and works his tushy off for it!!

Have a lovely weekend all.

R x
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Hi there,

Just stopping by to say hi and wish you luck on your journey. I, too, can get caught up the in the spending cycle and it's just no fun at all. I haven't spent on my credit card (apart from £3 parking which i realised I charged to the wrong card on my account!) since the beginning of the year. It's actually pretty refreshing to say that, even though temptation has been in my way several times!

This last wee while has been so spendy for my between my sister's wedding in a couple of months, organising and buying stuff for the hen do, son starting school...and just generally a billion other things and i'm really having to work hard to get myself out of the spending by default mindset. So i understand your pain!

Nice to see you're using clubcard vouchers to subsidise weekend plans - it helps to not feel like you're missing out.
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport