PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 March 2017 at 11:30AM
    Options
    elsiepac wrote: »
    How do you store your tofu in the freezer please? I've read it helps "firm it up", and being quite lazy, I like the idea of this!
    I does firm it up slightly, but it changes the texture and makes it quite spongey - not personally a fan, but hopefully I was doing it wrong, as I would love to freeze tofu. Maybe it comes out different when cooked. Not done that. I drain, dry and wrap.

I have spent £2.58 of this months budget, but am intending on doing a shop today - hoping to keep it to a minimum, as stores are still high.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi all,

Spent £45 at Aldi yesterday, this did include a little celebration bottle of fizz for DD who passed her driving test first time yesterday:)

Good luck all x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    First spend of March on Aldi Super 6 veg, and couple of other items £7
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • AlwaysHungry2016
    Options
    Stayed at my friend's place last night and this morning noticed that she had nothing to eat for breakfast. We had few glasses of red wine in the evening so good breakfast this morning was a essential for me to get through the day. Got few ingredients from a local tes**o which came together to £4.53.
    GC May £0/£150
    GC Mar £46.95/£150
    GC Feb £185.75/£150
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 2 March 2017 at 5:24PM
    Options
    elsiepac wrote: »
    How do you store your tofu in the freezer please? I've read it helps "firm it up", and being quite lazy, I like the idea of this!

Take the block out of the pack. I suppose you could press it etc, but I don't bother just drain liquid that was surrounding it. Then chop the block into 4, or 4 and into squares/rectangles, put the tofu in takeaway containers in portions for ease. I usefully buy the cauldron tofu so it's quite a large block, I get 4 portions, some may get 2 or 3.

Defrost it overnight in fridge, and do kinda squeeze out the liquid gently before cooking or oil + liquid = hot oil everywhere. My OH said it was an easy tofu to use anyway, some he's hated to cook, but that it was even easier to cook after. Just enough oil to brown it. It does change the texture, can't describe it but I like it. Since I found this out most goes in the freezer.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Main spend for this week done - only came to £12.34. Really need to do a meal plan, not wanting to grocery spend until Wednesday, apart from Alpro cream. Loads in. Had to dig deep in2 my savings last month, hoping to claw some back.
  • Franalamadingdong
    Options
    Well done to your DD Islandmaid!!

Spent £34.11 today. Was expecting less but the sausages I like we're reduced which I will need later in the month and a big reduced crab. Nom nom. In the freezer until later.
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone:)

I've done my first shop of the month at Aldi and Poundstretcher and it came to £56.93:eek: more than a third of my budget gone in the first week makes me feel very uneasy but I knew it would be a whopper as I really ran things down last month.
    On the plus side I've got loads of frozen veg (I'm a real convert after years of resisting), lots of chicken, turkey mince and sausages, lots of tins of pulses and tomatoes and 36 loo rolls! The dog also has enough food for the month and I've got shampoo, conditioner and deodorant as everything is about to run out.
    I doubled up on laundry liquid in Poundstretcher as the have one called Essence which is a £1 and does 27 washes. It's really good but they often run out so I got two while the shelf was full.
    Good luck to you all for the rest of the month :)
    PP x
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Could I ask being new to this (started to log spends down and keep receipts) please, do people tend to set a general grocery budget that includes pet food/litter etc or have a separate budget for pet supplies?
    I am noting down my general grocery spend with a breakdown of how much I am spending on pet stuff (I have no idea), but I am also going to be noting down how much I spend on petrol and presents (both separate budgets).
    Many thanks
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 March 2017 at 6:35PM
    Options
    Could I ask being new to this (started to log spends down and keep receipts) please, do people tend to set a general grocery budget that includes pet food/litter etc or have a separate budget for pet supplies?
    Everyone does what suits them, really. I include everything, cleaning stuff, food/coffee on the go etc., but do not include alcohol and I also do not include going out with friends for a meal/drink.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure