3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge!!

Options

Comments

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yay, you, WatWing, every journey starts with the first step, I think Confucious or someone said that.

Every stew starts with the first onion (batch cooking rocks) pretty sure I said that :)

I am just so glad most people on here are polite and kind. Surely, kindness is the one luxury all can afford yet it seems to be in such short supply.
  • DreamerHelen
    DreamerHelen Posts: 2,629 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning Peeps :)

Well it's morning again.....I've had a little more Sleep and am now Working again.....But I can't complain as, like I said last night, it means I'm earning money....and I can do it in my PJ's... :D

Dobbibill - I know, check us out, 50 Members!! :D I normally am around at about 4am-5am but the Weekends are slightly different work-wise.... Hope you're all good hun xXx :)

Smodlet - I'm so glad that you have experienced us as kind and nice....You are right, sometimes it's in short supply and yet it doesn't cost a penny.....I hope we can all continue to encourage you and support you xXx :)

WatWing - I've Updated the First Page...You're doing AWESOME...Keep going!! And you are absolutely right in what you say, as long as it is going in the right direction that is all that matters... xXx :)
  • skye_blue
    skye_blue Posts: 301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone

Sorry for the not being around for a while, too much to do money wise going on car tax & insurance etc

Please add £10 to my EF (£150). I did a car boot and made nearly £90 so all good there but loads of stuff lying around that still needs to be sorted and decide if there's enough to do another or just get rid.

Im on the mortgage free board and trying to keep that going as well but everything is going slowly and don't seem to be making much headway there either.

Never mind onwards and upwards, no one said it would be easy

Enjoy the sunshine hope it lasts
  • DreamerHelen
    Options
    Morning Everyone :)

Well this Week hasn't been wonderful....BUT I reckon it will get better....I will MAKE it get better!! :D

Not much to Report.....Been a quiet Week moneywise....

skye blue - I've Updated the First Page....You're doing BRILLIANTLY!! Keep going, keep moving forwards, step-by-step....and you will get there.... xXx :)
  • Grandad's_Offspring
    Options
    Thank you ever so much for the warm welcome :) look forward to the journey :)

The last few months have been absolutely insane, I am in the process of buying my first ever flat, it has been very very stressful. But I kept sane and busy with taking overtime, any overtime in order to boost the accounts.
    I musn't get into (more) debt, apart from the mortgage and the car finance, all my savings will most probably be wiped by the move. And I'd like to have a little nest for emergencies.
    the plan is to keep my Nationwide regular saver account topped at £500 a month.
    So£5000
    car finance £1072/£8285 by sept 2018
    #188 £1000 EF £8.45/£1000
    3-6 months salary £80/£5000
  • Keeping_Motivated
    Options
    Hi Helen and everyone else on the thread hope you're all doing well with your goals.

Please could you add £100 to my total I have transferred it over to the ISA this morning. So my new total is £5400

Thanks
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I didn't join, but I have been saving for my emergency funds. Usually it is my children's emergencies that drain my accounts. However after reading Rich Dad Poor Dad, I started to pay myself first. Every time I get any money in I move 10% into a savings account.
    I spent up £1,200 last year in September having the front garden turned into off road parking. So was back to zero.
    However by using this method I still pay my bills, I don't miss the 10%, and out of my £385 a week income, I have managed to save £1,000 in my Emergency Fund, £400 in the Baby Emergency Fund, have a holiday st Easter and already have £100 in the next holiday fund.
    This has been a life changer for me, and now I move odd bits of money every day, above my 10%
    If the account has £85.63 I will move £5.63 I don't miss it. If the savings pot has an odd number in it, I try to round it up. I love checking my accounts every morning now! And I've cleared off £1,240 worth of debt!

And it all started because I wanted that Emergency Fund you all aim for.
    Now if I can do it. Anyone can!
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You are more than welcome to join us Mooloo if you want to.

This is about 3 - 6 months wages, but can be used for any target you choose.

There's no pressure, it's a really friendly thread and whatever you decide is cool. I just wanted to say a big thank you dropping by to share your story and encouragement
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Dobbibill wrote: »
    You are more than welcome to join us Mooloo if you want to.

This is about 3 - 6 months wages, but can be used for any target you choose.

There's no pressure, it's a really friendly thread and whatever you decide is cool. I just wanted to say a big thank you dropping by to share your story and encouragement

I will try and keep up with you and will encourage everyone along the way. My story is here on MSE, from a bankruptcy to a new business owner. From a single parent, to a single granny!
    I started on MSE because of looming Bankruptcy, and stayed through family life, and I can say that 99% of people want to help others here. Although you meet some terrible trolls too!
    Tomorrow my curb is being lowered after years of saving, even though it's not my house it's a local authority house, however if I had not saved my 10% it would never have happened.
    I don't want to hijack your thread, I might not post again. But the BEST advice I ever had was to put that 10% ( pay yourself first) into action. The debts still got paid, but I achieved much more too.
    Xx
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • DreamerHelen
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone... :)

I hope you are all well this Evening....I'm doing okay tonight....It's been a pretty good day overall so I'm doing good...

Nothing to Report moneywise tonight....

Grandad's Offspring - Thanks for letting me know your Target...Do give us all an Update as your Emergency Fund grows.... xXx :)

Keeping Motivated - I've Updated the First Page....You're doing AMAZINGLY well!! Keep going hun... xXx :)

Mooloo - Thanks for sharing your Story with us....It's lovely to hear that you have a strategy in place for building up your Emergency Fund...Do feel free to Post anytime you like xXx :)

Dobbibill - Thank You for being so lovely and helping to keep this Thread going....You're a star!! :staradmin xXx :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure