Bankruptcy Credit Reference File Clean Up - Discussion

Comments

• rich29_2
    rich29_2 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Hi,
    I've been doing my post-ED cleanup, and had an interesting response from Experian when I sent them my discharge notice. Not only did they update the file, they put notices of dispute against all of accounts that weren't showing as satisfied, and even contacted my former creditors for me to tell them to update their own entries! Even better, when the creditors did correct the entries, Experian sent me letters to tell me. I'm not a subscriber to Credit Expert: they just did this because I'd sent them the discharge notice.
    I'd already contacted the creditors anyway, but perhaps this won't be needed for some people if Experian do it for you. Would save a lot of hassle and recorded delivery costs if it did work. :)
    Hi,

Where did you get the discharge notice from?
    When I called the official reciever they told me that I wouldn't recieve any confirmation of any sort to let me know that I had been discharged, they just told me it would automatically happen on the 08/06/2011!
  • Welcome financial services ltd
    kingston house
    centre 27 business park
    woodhead road
    birstall
    batley
    wf17 9td
  • IF
    IF Posts: 34,349 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    rich29 wrote: »
    Hi,

Where did you get the discharge notice from?
    When I called the official reciever they told me that I wouldn't recieve any confirmation of any sort to let me know that I had been discharged, they just told me it would automatically happen on the 08/06/2011!

Hi Rich, you don’t usually get confirmation of discharge with AD, if you can print off several copies from the insolvency service site.

Click on blue link below:-

http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/eiir/

Make sure you click on your name after searching to bring up the full record. Most creditors will accept this. Bear in mind your name will stay online for 3 months after your AD date and then disappear. You can contact your OR and ask for confirmation in writing some will do this for free, but some are charging £25 now or you can pay £70 for the official certificate of discharge from the court where you went BR (in some cases depending if you are on benefits you can have this for free as well).

Hope this helps
    If...x
    "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"
  • dojoman
    dojoman Posts: 12,027 Forumite
    Have just received a letter from Eversheds saying they cannot update my credit file as they have not received my paperwork. Have emailed them to ask who they are representing as they are not on any of my files, strange one.
    :pB&SC No. 298
    Life`s Tragedy is that we get OLD too soon
    and WISE too late!
  • robthered
    robthered Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 15 June 2011 at 3:50PM
    Hello all, first time poster. Well it was a long wait but I'm almost there...
    I HAVE PASSED MY 6 YEARS SINCE BANKRUPTCY!
    so I took a gander at my credit file, and found 3 accounts, included in bankruptcy, still showing
    1) a mortgage shows as late-late-default-settled BUT 4 months AFTER bankruptcy
    2) a loan (shown as mortgage as secured) which shows as DEFAULT with lots of post-bankruptcy monthly updates and a CURRENT balance!
    3) an old power bill, sold to a company called HFO with the same issues as the loan.

my question, given that, over the past 6 years, the loan, mortgage company & the original supplier who sold debt no3 have been told numerous times of the bankruptcy, not only in the official way when it happened, but several times later as they attempted to chase the 'debt'... being that they STILL hold this inaccurate info, and that it's FAIRLY reasonable to assume that, as these 3 are the only negative items showing in any part of my file, that my credit score of 250ish which prevents me getting anything (bar a small sub-prime visa card & a basic bank account) is 100% down to their error...

Can is sue? does it constitute defamation/libel? they essentially tell an organisation a lie about me, reported as fact, which harms me financially?

~NOTE~ I have raised this issue AGAIN with all 3, in all cases they will "look into it" and have offered estimates of anything from 1-3months turnaround. NOT helpful NOW when I'm suffering a truelly knackered car!
  • dojoman
    robthered wrote: »
    Hello all, first time poster. Well it was a long wait but I'm almost there...
    I HAVE PASSED MY 6 YEARS SINCE BANKRUPTCY!
    so I took a gander at my credit file, and found 3 accounts, included in bankruptcy, still showing
    1) a mortgage shows as late-late-default-settled BUT 4 months AFTER bankruptcy
    2) a loan (shown as mortgage as secured) which shows as DEFAULT with lots of post-bankruptcy monthly updates and a CURRENT balance!
    3) an old power bill, sold to a company called HFO with the same issues as the loan.

my question, given that, over the past 6 years, the loan, mortgage company & the original supplier who sold debt no3 have been told numerous times of the bankruptcy, not only in the official way when it happened, but several times later as they attempted to chase the 'debt'... being that they STILL hold this inaccurate info, and that it's FAIRLY reasonable to assume that, as these 3 are the only negative items showing in any part of my file, that my credit score of 250ish which prevents me getting anything (bar a small sub-prime visa card & a basic bank account) is 100% down to their error...

Can is sue? does it constitute defamation/libel? they essentially tell an organisation a lie about me, reported as fact, which harms me financially?

~NOTE~ I have raised this issue AGAIN with all 3, in all cases they will "look into it" and have offered estimates of anything from 1-3months turnaround. NOT helpful NOW when I'm suffering a truelly knackered car!

Have you actually "cleaned" up your credit file?
    and WISE too late!
  • A_New_Dawn
    A_New_Dawn Posts: 93 Forumite
    dojoman wrote: »
    Have just received a letter from Eversheds saying they cannot update my credit file as they have not received my paperwork. Have emailed them to ask who they are representing as they are not on any of my files, strange one.

I received a letter from Eversheds today saying MBNA sold on my account to them last month which is odd as I've been discharged since March this year...

Spoke to the OR and they said they are just chancers...

Anyone else had a similar letter today?
  • IF
    IF Posts: 34,349 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    A_New_Dawn wrote: »
    I received a letter from Eversheds today saying MBNA sold on my account to them last month which is odd as I've been discharged since March this year...

Spoke to the OR and they said they are just chancers...

Anyone else had a similar letter today?

Its funny you should say that, click on link below:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3297740

Best wishes
    If..x
    "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"
  • dojoman
    Have just sent off my second letter to Nationwide, first one sent 11/3/20011 and delivered and signed for 14/3/2011. These are the only ones now not playing ball. Have also included a letter telling them that this
    is the second time I have sent all my documents to them and if they do not update my file this time I will be complaining to the ICO. Weird thing is they have let me open a Cashcard account with them!
    and WISE too late!
  • philnicandamy
    philnicandamy Posts: 15,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Figures!

most banks its different departments that NEVER seem to speak to each other!
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback