Electorial register & declined for mobile contract!! Not my fault.

skyboy88
skyboy88 Posts: 13 Forumite
edited 15 June 2017 at 3:05PM in Credit file & ratings
Hi all,

On 20.03.17 I attempted gain a new mobile phone via mobiles.co.uk for a new iphone 7 with o2. I was not aware that a credit check would be required using o2 held records, one of which is my address. The address o2 held was my previous address (wrong address), so the first credit check failed.

I was then instructed by mobiles.co.uk to update my address with o2 to my current address and try again. At this point I used o2 online chat to request this. When I had updated the address I asked was it now safe to proceed with another credit check, to which the operator confirmed it was. I later found out it was not fine, and that o2's system took 24hrs to update. My second attempt then failed.

It turns out when I registered to vote my local Belfast council office took 2 months to update their records.... I cannot see how this is my issue, I completed the documents on my side, I am now being punished for the slow response of my council?
As a result I have poor scores with both Experian (654) & Equifax (270) and am being refused for credit. I have asked both of these & o2 to remove these references to which they have refused.

I dont know what my rights are or what to do now, ombudsman?
Surly it isn't correct my credit file suffer at the hands of a lackluster council?

Comments

• Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    What exactly do you expect to happen?
    I was not aware that a credit check would be required

Nonsense, they would have told you that they were going to credit check you/a check was needed. And they wouldn't be searching 'o2 files' it would have been a check done with one of the three credit reference agencies, or even all three.

How long for electoral roll to show on files?

It will actually depend on the time of year you registered. From December to August local authorities publish a monthly register, known as a rolling register. The CRAs get the rolling registers each month and update the information on reports as quickly as possible, however it can still take a further 2-3 months to show on the update.

From mid-August to December local authorities will start preparing the annual register, which is for every voter in the country. During this time they will stop publishing monthly registers.

So if you register between August and November, your electoral information should show on your credit report by January the following year.

It's nobody's fault but your own. You should have waited until the data was showing on all 3 files before applying for anything. Nothing further to do but wait until it is showing and perhaps wait another further 6 months and then try again.

The free versions to check your credit files are below:
    Experian: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub
    Equifax: https://www.clearscore.com
    Call Credit: https://www.noddle.co.uk
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Councils may only update the CRAs annually.

Fortunately, your scores don't matter, and the impact of two searches will be very quickly be minimal. No need to take any further action.
  • When you got rejected the first time your credit rating was affected and the second even worse this will take 6 months to clear providing you don't apply for any credit i swear this system has been modified to force people to go to high interest lenders? For future reference use ClearScore and Experian FREE service to check before you apply, although my Experian was 999/1000 and ClearScore 450/700 and couldn't even get a mobile! Although Apple Barclays finance I've always been successful due to they refer to my past purchases of being an excellent customer! So I suggest in 3-4 months try Apple Store?
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    i swear this system has been modified to force people to go to high interest lenders?
    No, just to allow credit companies to assess risk and set rates appropriately. Those charging higher rates are more likely to take on riskier customers who can't pay back. Applying for several forms of credit in a short space of time says desperate for money and often reveals an underlying problem more likely to result in defaulting in future
  • Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Plus it also sounds as though you hadn't advised o2 of your new address thus compounding the issue.
  • skyboy88
    nic_c wrote: »
    No, just to allow credit companies to assess risk and set rates appropriately. Those charging higher rates are more likely to take on riskier customers who can't pay back. Applying for several forms of credit in a short space of time says desperate for money and often reveals an underlying problem more likely to result in defaulting in future

However not the case here, so that isn't always the case. I already have an o2 contract (have done for 10 years), I earn good money @ 29 and haven't missed a payment since I was at uni 6 years ago (none since been employed). This is a bad system, convoluted & works against honest people.

I will leave it 6 months but I will probs just buy it outright now.
    Thanks for assistance.
  • skyboy88
    When you got rejected the first time your credit rating was affected and the second even worse this will take 6 months to clear providing you don't apply for any credit i swear this system has been modified to force people to go to high interest lenders? For future reference use ClearScore and Experian FREE service to check before you apply, although my Experian was 999/1000 and ClearScore 450/700 and couldn't even get a mobile! Although Apple Barclays finance I've always been successful due to they refer to my past purchases of being an excellent customer! So I suggest in 3-4 months try Apple Store?

I agree James, there is nothing to say I cannot pay £40 per month whatsoever.
    Only just heard of clearscore, have now made an account. I will leave it now for 6 months.
  • robber2
    robber2 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ................... For future reference use ClearScore and Experian FREE service to check before you apply, although my Experian was 999/1000 and ClearScore 450/700 and couldn't even get a mobile!

Rather pointless advice then !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport