Lost train tickets, Royal Mail to blame (+me)

Options
2»

Comments

• NickIpswich
    Options
    Conceivably I could have stood there entering the 8 or so digit collection code into the collection machine ten times, that would have been failsafe I imagine. Although it would have taken about 10 minutes, it would have been more reliable I suppose.
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    I think it can be any card as well

It can't. As I learnt the hard way when I had paid on my husband's joint account card and not mine, and was unable to pick up the tickets.

Although if you pay by PayPal or Apple Pay then you can use any card.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    Conceivably I could have stood there entering the 8 or so digit collection code into the collection machine ten times, that would have been failsafe I imagine. Although it would have taken about 10 minutes, it would have been more reliable I suppose.

Surely you only need to enter the code once? Then the machine prints all 10 sets of tickets.

I think the only problem might be checking there and then that the m/c has correctly printed all the tickets you bought.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SuperHan wrote: »
    It can't. As I learnt the hard way when I had paid on my husband's joint account card and not mine, and was unable to pick up the tickets.

Surely you only need to enter the code once? Then the machine prints all 10 sets of tickets.

I think the only problem might be checking there and then that the m/c has correctly printed all the tickets you bought.

I think these probably depend on who it's bought with. I have vague memories of having bought tickets and subsequently had my credit card cancelled due to fraud. When I called up (Virgin?) they checked my account and told me that I could use any card, something to do with my account history meaning they'd enabled that already for me? Might've changed since then but it worked then! Probably for 1st time purchases they insist on the same card. Would be interesting if someone could confirm how it worked :)
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options

I have in the past used a different card to the card used for purchase ( with greater anglia)
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Entering it once would have been enough
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options

Apologies for quoting myself, but I was wrong.

I've just ordered 3 return tickets to London for 3 consecutive days from Greater Anglia and they've given me separate confirmation codes for each return.

They also specify that when picking up you don't need to use the same card as was used for the purchase
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Apologies for quoting myself, but I was wrong.

I've just ordered 3 return tickets to London for 3 consecutive days from Greater Anglia and they've given me separate confirmation codes for each return.

They also specify that when picking up you don't need to use the same card as was used for the purchase

It must depend on who you've booked with.

I've definitely booked with thetrainline before and not been able to collect with a different card. Or maybe they've updated the systems.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 July 2017 at 10:15PM
    Options
    It must depend on who you've booked with.

I've definitely booked with thetrainline before and not been able to collect with a different card. Or maybe they've updated the systems.

Must do. I've certainly collected GA tickets before with a different card from the one purchased with, but other posters like you have had a different experience with other TOCs

edit - but it may need to be a card registered to you. ga website says the card is needed to confirm id?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure