Late flights, teenage boys and food!

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Awed at macdonalds link!

Me, I'd ask the local cabbie where is a place that you can take the lads to feed them. May not be haute cuisine, or even native to country of destination, but very late night greasy spoon open to feed cabbies will certainly cope with a small number of travel shocked and hungry teenagers.

You may want to take a bottle of familiar sauce (or sachets!) to ease them over the first meal shock, but once the calories hit the system, they'll revert back to mostly human, sleep like felled trees & then demand another substantial meal, so keep the address or get the cabbie's advice on where to take them for breakfast & then which supermarket...

Once they've had 12 hours orientation, make them tell you where they want to eat &/or what they propose to cook. It's your holiday too!

Carrying flapjacks & Pot Noodles works fine if the lads know this is food til breakfast, but think of the usual amount & double it... Delays happen.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    All this for a 2hr flight? Really, grown boys that can't cope without being fed before bedtime.

Mine would get fed at the airport then left to their own devices if that wasn't enough, I certainly wouldn't be hunting around after midnight trying to find them something to eat on arrival, it's a short flight to Ibiza, not Outer Mongolia!
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Ordinarily I'd agree, but teenage boys? Strange critters that are subject to severe metabolic distortion - and as they are usually Gillick competent, shipping them sedated isn't the easy option.

Having plans to feed & water them every two hours sorted makes sense as low blood sugar makes them really unlovely travel companions.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    With all the indulgence it's no wonder we have so many snowflakes now. They are late teens - for goodness sake let them sort it out for themselves, how else will they ever learn?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • DownTime
    DownTime Posts: 41 Forumite
    I'm really out of practice at this.
    I simply assumed that there were restrictions about taking food on to the plane and into other countries.
    I guess I could take some tinned food in the suitcase.....

sparkie

Nope. Buy some ham/pastrami/smoked salmon/whatever you fancy. Cheese/cream cheese..... Branston's pickle or your condiment of choice.
    Pack'em in a LIDL/M&S/whichever supermarket you fancy cool bag. Bread. Drinks. Any tasty tidbits you fancy.
    Pack them into your to be checked-in luggage.
    Arrive at your destination and enjoy a midnight feast on the balcony.
    Job done.
    Don't listen to the crazies who suggest leaving your chidren to starve or to eat McDonalds or even expecting to get any kind of useful food at half past midnight in Ibiza's airport.
    It's a holiday. You are suppose to have fun.Not teaching hangry children a lesson in how to survive.
    Pack them some tasty tidbits. No tinned food, that's just disgusting.

It's not unusual for me to have some food in my suitcase. I usually have an apartment with a kitchen. So can knock up a light meal in case we don't feel like going out on arrival.
    Have been to many places that didn't even have a bottle of water for guests in the room. So pack a big bottle of water.
    Don't be shy of taking supplies for your arrival. You'll be glad that you did when everyone is fed, watered and relaxed.
    Let's not forget that this is a money saving website. So the cost of buying your own good quality stuff before you leave will be much better value than expensive fare at the airport.

You probably have the stuff in your fridge anyway. If you are panicky about keeping the meat/cheese cool(no need on a relatively short journey), Pound shops often have freezer bricks at a couple for a £1. You can stick one of those with the meats/cheese and wrap the whole package in tin foil and then pop the lot in a plastic bag if you have no cool bag.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Don't listen to the crazies
    How insulting.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    DownTime wrote: »
    Don't listen to the crazies who suggest leaving your chidren to starve

For a start these are not children, they are late teens, young adults.

Then what happens at home? Do they have their dinner at 7pm then expect mummy and daddy to rustle them up another meal at midnight when they get back from their friends/pub/gym/work? I doubt that very much. Same as having a meal at the airport before they get on the plane is not 'leaving them to starve'.

This is why we now have generation snowflake, grown 'children' being indulged like toddlers.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • leylandsunaddict
    leylandsunaddict Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    DownTime wrote: »
    Nope. Buy some ham/pastrami/smoked salmon/whatever you fancy. Cheese/cream cheese..... Branston's pickle or your condiment of choice.
    Pack'em in a LIDL/M&S/whichever supermarket you fancy cool bag. Bread. Drinks. Any tasty tidbits you fancy.
    Pack them into your to be checked-in luggage.
    Arrive at your destination and enjoy a midnight feast on the balcony.
    Job done.
    Don't listen to the crazies who suggest leaving your chidren to starve or to eat McDonalds or even expecting to get any kind of useful food at half past midnight in Ibiza's airport.
    It's a holiday. You are suppose to have fun.Not teaching hangry children a lesson in how to survive.
    Pack them some tasty tidbits. No tinned food, that's just disgusting.

It's not unusual for me to have some food in my suitcase. I usually have an apartment with a kitchen. So can knock up a light meal in case we don't feel like going out on arrival.
    Have been to many places that didn't even have a bottle of water for guests in the room. So pack a big bottle of water.
    Don't be shy of taking supplies for your arrival. You'll be glad that you did when everyone is fed, watered and relaxed.
    Let's not forget that this is a money saving website. So the cost of buying your own good quality stuff before you leave will be much better value than expensive fare at the airport.

You probably have the stuff in your fridge anyway. If you are panicky about keeping the meat/cheese cool(no need on a relatively short journey), Pound shops often have freezer bricks at a couple for a £1. You can stick one of those with the meats/cheese and wrap the whole package in tin foil and then pop the lot in a plastic bag if you have no cool bag.

Hahaha. These are late teens, not children. They are adults and should be treated as such. Parents need to stop pandering to their young adults and let them learn to grow up and take responsibility for themselves. No one is teaching them how to survive. How melodramatic.

They may go to the gym and eat a lot, but believe me they will not starve between eating at the airport and breakfast. As for taking all that food in checked luggage. Why?? They wouldn't normally be eating at 2 in the morning and the fact they're awake not asleep has nothing to do with it. As I suggested they could take protein bars or a shake on board with them. The restaurant will open for breakfast about 5 hours after they arrive. As for late teens having an early morning snack on the balcony. They're more likely to laugh and say they're not children, take it into their bedroom and leave bits around to tempt the cockies and ants out for an early breakfast, or head out into resort and get something.

They will not starve. A bit peckish perhaps, but they are adults and should know they can't always have what they want and when they want it. They are perfectly capable of fending for themselves. Mummy does not have to, and should not cosset them.
  • parking_question_chap
    parking_question_chap Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 May 2017 at 7:27AM
    For a start these are not children, they are late teens, young adults.

Then what happens at home? Do they have their dinner at 7pm then expect mummy and daddy to rustle them up another meal at midnight when they get back from their friends/pub/gym/work? I doubt that very much. Same as having a meal at the airport before they get on the plane is not 'leaving them to starve'.

This is why we now have generation snowflake, grown 'children' being indulged like toddlers.

No from experience, they will probably help themselves to a few snacks from the kitchen.

Cant really do that when you are 36,000 feet in the air. ;)

Why argue the toss about if they need it or not?

OP wants to feed them, so offer suggestions or dont waste your time arguing.

Sandwiches from airport to take onboard, or depending on where you are going they might have late night takeways.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Buy them each a Boots Meal Deal airside and take a few Mars Bars as well as a back up. They can either eat it on the plane or when they arrive at the resort.
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family