118500 call for 3 seconds charged £4.18 Big Ripoff

truthman007
truthman007 Posts: 513
First Post
Forumite
edited 25 May 2017 at 7:29PM in Praise, vent & warnings
Another ripoff by BT or whoever owner of this number. Somehow accidentally this number was called and got charged £4.10 for three seconds.

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    A rip off yes, a scam no.

All directory enquiries numbers have gone this way unfortunately. Not exclusive to BT at all. You can thank Oftel for that one!

Sometimes more competition isn't a good thing for a consumer. Live football another example of more competition = more cost to us.

Interesting how you dialled a 6 digit number accidentally though. Maybe worth checking someone hasn't saved it to a speed dial on your phone.

P.S. You are lucky it was only £4.10/4.18 as their site says
    £2.75 per call plus £2.75 per minute (a minimum 60 second charge applies) inc VAT, plus your telephone service provider’s Access Charge
    So should have been at least £5.50 by my calculation. Every cloud and all that!
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Why was I not surprised to see who had started this thread? :)
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Good job you only went to BT and not 118118, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/118_118_(UK) £8.98 number and £4.49/minute.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    DoaM wrote: »
    Why was I not surprised to see who had started this thread? :)

Stupid is as stupid does.
  • JJG
    JJG Posts: 329
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Remember when directory enquiries only cost 40p. But because BT had a monopoly they opened it up to everyone to generate competition. Thank god they destroyed that monopoly.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    How does someone "accidentally" dial 118500? 999 or 111 I could understand, but it's not likely you'd lean on your phone (or fall to sleep with it in your hand!) and randomly dial that number.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    IAmWales wrote: »
    How does someone "accidentally" dial 118500? 999 or 111 I could understand, but it's not likely you'd lean on your phone (or fall to sleep with it in your hand!) and randomly dial that number.

Some dogs are very good at it. I had a friend whose cocker spaniel knocked the phone to the floor, stood on it and ended up calling a very surprised stranger.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 17 May 2017 at 11:05PM
    IAmWales wrote: »

This is the OP we are talking about here.

How anyone can call that number by accident is beyond me.

OP have you considered locking the phone, this is of course if the number was accident dialled on a mobile phone.
  • colcheslad
    colcheslad Posts: 240
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    0800 118 3733 - free directory enquiries - just need to listen to an advert. Although I can't remember the last time I needed it, I just Google everything now! :money:
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A weird thing happened to me before, I called a number for a company which was supposedly reputable but instead of reaching them got a recorded message telling me the number I'd called was unavailable I needed to call another number. That number started 118, then the recording explained if I called that, they could give me another number.

Then there was a period of silence followed by a different voice, hard to understand, spoke quickly but I did catch that the charge for calling that number was £10 a minute and it took quite a while before the call charge was explained.

That was a 118 scam if there ever was one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure