PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

4 weeks and 1 viewing- HELP!

Comments

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    OPs house is better than both yours and cakegut's links though (no central heating, smaller rooms, less toilets, older decor and bathrooms/kitchen etc etc), so in theory it should be worth more in the eyes of buyers.

The outside space is likely to be a big factor. I can't comment on other reasons though as I don't know the area.

I am sure you are correct but the one I linked to on purpose had been sold.
  • Cakeguts
    Is there a back garden with this house or is the only outside space at the side?
  • venner
    venner Posts: 12 Forumite
    there is a very small turfed section and the paved area as seen in the pic
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    All the steps will put of a large range of potential customers: those getting on in years or middle aged wanting a forever home, those with young children or planning them. This leaves single people, couples with no child prospects and those with only one or two older children.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    teddysmum wrote: »
    All the steps will put of a large range of potential customers: those getting on in years or middle aged wanting a forever home, those with young children or planning them. This leaves single people, couples with no child prospects and those with only one or two older children.

I guess it all depends on what's available in the area at this price point. If the only other houses this price are smaller, then many families with kids WILL be tempted.
  • Cakeguts
    venner wrote: »
    there is a very small turfed section and the paved area as seen in the pic

So a family house with not much in the way of a garden and what there is at the back is overlooked. The disadvantages with your house, council estate, overlooked small garden, steps, will cancel out the size of the property. If someone has £212k to spend on a house why would they spend it there?
  • Tiners
    Tiners Posts: 232 Forumite
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    OPs house is better than both yours and cakegut's links though (no central heating, smaller rooms, less toilets, older decor and bathrooms/kitchen etc etc), so in theory it should be worth more in the eyes of buyers.

The outside space is likely to be a big factor. I can't comment on other reasons though as I don't know the area.

I don't know how you've arrived at the conclusion that the OP's house is better than the example that Cakeguts found...

I personally wouldn't even waste my time viewing the OP's house at the current asking price if the Cakeguts house was also available in the same area at OVER 10% less.
  • 3mph
    3mph Posts: 247 Forumite
    If you need to sell quickly then £199,500 and put it with a real EA. Otherwise take everything off the walls, makes rooms look smaller, grit teeth and wait.

It's price and perceived value.

Or put simply it might be location, location, location on the TV but to get buyers looking it's Price, Price, Price
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It's only been on the market 4 weeks and in that time you have had two sets of bank holiday's (when people tend to go away) the Easter break (also when people tend to go away). Perhaps give it a bit of time before starting the fire sale. Additionally buyers may be holding odd till after the election just in case.

Our house (slightly lower price bracket, similar size, different area) has been on the market 24 hours and we've had 5 viewings, 5 lined up for tomorrow, 4 for Thursday and so far 4 for Saturday. Something isn't right with the OPs house. and I suspect it's the price having looked at rightmove.
  • always_sunny
    always_sunny Posts: 8,314 Forumite
    The house is nice but if it's not attracting many views usually it's the price.

You need to look at the place as an item to be sold rather than as your home and stop finding reasons why it should be priced a certain way cause bottom line is, people are not coming.
    EU expat working in London
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport