PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My Thrifty Ways to Save Money

I_Love_comps
I_Love_comps Posts: 2,293 Senior Ambassador
First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
edited 19 October 2016 at 6:09AM in Old style MoneySaving
I have been following a lot of threads on here for some time now.
I have decided to start my own.

I have luckily never been in debt apart from the obvious of having a mortgage loan - so could not post in the Debt section.

Just a quick introduction about me - When growing up both my parents worked but did not have fantastic salaries. I remember my Father doing the end of month accounts.

My parents have never had credit cards - They just saved for everything - instead of today's culture of buying everything on a credit and paying it of later.

My father died when I was in my teens so things did not get any easier financially - but my Mom just saves for things -still.

So I have grown up with the knowledge of how to save money - I will list some of my ways here. I never like getting into debt.

Always buy things you need/want in the sales
Remember Charity Shops are great for bargains
Look out for vouchers to reduce your shopping bill
Use cashback sites to save money
Save small change coins in a pot for either holidays something else eg Christmas birthdays - it is amazing how much you can save
Free Samples
Surveys
Buying reduced food from the supermarket

Each day I will let you know how I have saved money.

I also enter competitions as a hobby I have been a comper for over 20 years and have a lot of items that have saved money.
I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

Comments

• I_Love_comps
    Today I have just put two 50 pence piece coins into a large bottle. This is for my own savings for possibly next years holiday or Christmas.

Then later on today I am off to Aldi I find some things cheaper than T's, not everything as we have a large T's buy us so they stock the budget range.
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Challenges

• jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    I love the discussion that these forums generate. There was a thread recently about savings.
    I personally don't like the change-in-a-pot system (although many do and there were some lovely stories on that thread) I prefer proper savings that earn me money - although I acknowledge that is pitiful at present. The accounts that allow you one withdrawal a year are better value, and you can use it for Xmas / emergency.
    I am also iffy about cashback sites who seem to bombard me with junk, and have conditions that make my head spin.
    But I have signed up to loyalty cards, who even if I don't use them, send me odd vouchers to encourage.
    My membership of the Co-op is probably the best supermarket-type deal as I get cashback on my credit card, and vouchers (even if it is nothing like the old divi that was really worthwhile)
    My own favourite is writing everything down - I use Bank Genie that helps me analyse spending.
    I also tend to use offers and vouchers as much as I can to get household things and stock up for Xmas or similar get-togethers.
    I am also in an area where a bit of bartering can be done.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi ILC looks like you should fit in well here,you have all the basic knowledge and your intentions are excellent. You are a quid near to your goals I think to have a goel in mind is so important.My major outlay per year is probably my annual holiday ,which I am on at the moment Its budgetted for from the moment my family and I get home (tomorrow) until next August.DD saves as do I, and between us we get two weeks with her four sons and her OH and myself,the dog and even the hamster comes along with us. I also have a weeks spring holiday with my oldest friend and this year I have an extra few days in Scotland at a family reunion.So all good goals to put bits and pieces aside for and to make the rest of my cash streeech a bit :)
    Keep the odd amounts going in here and there and its surprising how it mounts up

Cheers JackieO xxx
  • I_Love_comps
    jackyann I do have savings in an ISA my motto with that is put a little money that you will not need to withdraw. I do not do high interest accounts as I need access to my savings.

We have a money pot where we put £2 coins in the pot was a Christmas present (dread to think how much the pot cost). It was one of those pots that you have to smash - but my husband cut a hole in the bottom so it can be re-used. This money is used jointly when we go on holiday for food/drinks - it is amazing how much you can save.

My best loyalty cards are Tesco's - I shop there weekly -although they have now stopped doing the double up vouchers - so I am waiting to see what other offers they replace it with.

Boots Advantage Card is good too - I tend to save my points up and spend on a yearly basis.

I have done a bit of bartering in my time or rather asking for a discount - some years ago though. I loved watching Dominic Littlewoods programme about getting discounts and having the courage to ask for them. My daughter wanted these shoes but they needed repairing and were not being sold as damaged - so I asked if I could get a discount as I would need to get them repaired - I was shocked when they did give me £3 off.

My Challenges

• I_Love_comps
    Morning All. It's Friday and a Bank Holiday weekend too.

Today I have another two fifty pence pieces - so that is two pounds now in the savings pot which will for personal spending on a holiday next year.

Also today I will go to the bank and deposit back my exchanged euros - I would of done it yesterday but it was heavy rain.

Saved in 50p pieces - £2

My Challenges

• I_Love_comps
    Morning Everyone. Well I have found another 50 pence piece in my purse - that now makes £2.50 in savings.

Hope everyone has a lovely Bank Holiday weekend - were not doing much - Hubby going into work this morning and he will be off until Tuesday.

I will be catching up with the ironing as I have done a lot of washing while the weather has been nice.

In Summer I make a vow to never hang clothes indoors to dry or use the tumble dryer as it used to much in the Winter.

50 p savings £2.50

My Challenges

• I_Love_comps
    Free samples are another way I save money. Today I have received
    through the post totally free a Simple kind to skin cleansing facial wipes - A pack of 7.

So that is a free week of cleansing.

My Challenges

• TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I like savings deducted from my pay at source - credit union -It really is the best way to save and not 'miss' it. CU interest is pretty poor like everywhere else but its ethical and great for mini loans in an emergency. I know not every employer has an arrangement with a local CU but most public sector do and if you have a local CU - why not ask your employer to consider it?
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,687 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You don't need to smash those savings pots, a pallet knife through the slit in the top and a few shuggles of the cash inside and it slips out.
  • I_Love_comps
    edited 28 August 2016 at 7:48AM
    Thank you.The Gardener for posting on my thread
    I do know about Credit Unions there is one set up in our local community. I prefer my main savings to go into my ISA or another savings account.

I like saving my coins just for holidays as I was amazed at how much you could save by just taking out certain coins and saving them.

My Challenges

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure