PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fluffy towels

When I go to a hotel the towels are always soft and fluffy. When I was mine they are rough.

How do I get them fluffy?

Comments

• I think it might be the industrial size tumble dryers that commercial laundries use.

Despite the ads, I've never found fabric softener made any kind of difference to my towels so stopped using it years ago.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Tumble dry them for 5 mins on cold setting (after drying outside)
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You could try adding water softener. Calgon is the well-known (and very expensive) brand but I use much cheaper powdered versions from Tesco or Sainsbury's - they call it something like limescale removal powder. You just add it to the wash with detergent. We have quite hard water so it does make a big difference but I've also used it in soft water and it still leaves things noticeably softer so probably worth a go whatever the water type.

I do find fabric softener helps too, but only a little bit of a brand that washes out nicely at the next wash, otherwise you get crusty old softener left in them which doesn't help and reduces their absorbency. I use Ecover.

If you have a tumble dryer, after trying it to start or finish towels off, I think it works best to start them off in the dryer - it seems to fluff up the fibres before they get 'set' by drying. I don't find they fluff up anywhere near as much if you just use the dryer at the end.

The other option is to look at the towels you have. Thin, poor quality towels may never go as fluffy as better ones. I don't think it's just about spending money though! The nicest ones I've had are ones from Tesco, the 'hygro' ones. I always start them in the dryer as that works best for them but even if completely air dried they still feel softer than other towels washed and dried in the same way.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    I've tried fabric conditioner and the towels are good quality. So it would seem my problem is in my total failure to tumble dry them. I've always just hung them over a drying rack. I'll try the tumble dry function next time I wash them and see if it makes any difference.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Rinsing properly, vinegar in the last rinse, dryer balls in the tumble dryer.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    I don't think you need to tumble dry them completely but it should definitely help if you can give them a quick blast in there. Starting them off for 15-20 minutes also helps them dry quicker when you hang them up as they're warmer to start :)
  • Pop_Up_Pirate
    Pop_Up_Pirate Posts: 801 Forumite
    edited 15 March 2017 at 3:37PM
    Hotel towels are different to begin with as they are made to withstand vigorous use.
    Then they are washed with no washing powder (like you buy in the supermarkets) or conditioner, and are tumbled dried at high heat.
  • MrsLWW
    MrsLWW Posts: 86 Forumite
    I get mine fluffy by washing them (just with powder) and tumble drying. I find that if you use fabric softener it affected the absorbancy.
    Debt peak approx £30,000 :eek: now debt free!!! :j
    My parents always said "If you can't afford it cash, you can't afford it!" so true!.... mind you, turns out we can't afford much lol :rotfl:
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I don't know the answer, but I quite like a rough towel. I feel they dry you better and buff your skin.

Generally they soften after one use in any case
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Washing them at 60 degrees rather than 30 or 40 also seems to help. Perhaps it leaves less residue behind?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure