Apple Pay - what's the biggest amount you've been able to do?

On the back of the contactless thread i made i was wondering about this.

Am i right in thinking contactless is £30 across the board?

I read that for the TSB 5% cashback you will still get this if you use Apple Pay, since it's contactless but i also read somewhere that there's no set amount as the highest you can get away with using Apple Pay, which suggests it can be higher than £30 but who knows what up to.

So just wondered what the max is you've used Apple Pay successfully for?

Comments

• cbrown372
    cbrown372 Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    £239 in part payment of a new phone in an Apple Store.
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama ;)
  • Nice to know you can do serious payments then.

Out of interest does the shop have to offer specifically Apple Pay? Or is it anything that offers contactless will also take Apple Pay?
  • LindaMary
    LindaMary Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Lidl is unlimited. Handy for weekly shop!
  • On the back of the contactless thread i made i was wondering about this.

Am i right in thinking contactless is £30 across the board?

I read that for the TSB 5% cashback you will still get this if you use Apple Pay, since it's contactless but i also read somewhere that there's no set amount as the highest you can get away with using Apple Pay, which suggests it can be higher than £30 but who knows what up to.

So just wondered what the max is you've used Apple Pay successfully for?

Apple Pay contactless is limited to £30 - and don't forget TSB cashback is just on the first £100 each month.
    Please note that any posts that I make on here are based on my personal opinion, experience and what I have read.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I've been told (by a shop employee) that Apple Pay contactless is available up to your daily cash withdrawal limit at an ATM. And in one lump.

My largest spend on it was £150.00.
  • benten69
    benten69 Posts: 366 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Apple Pay contactless is limited to £30 - and don't forget TSB cashback is just on the first £100 each month.
    Gers wrote: »
    I've been told (by a shop employee) that Apple Pay contactless is available up to your daily cash withdrawal limit at an ATM. And in one lump.

My largest spend on it was £150.00.

It actually depends on the bank and the retailer. RBS / Natwest have NO LIMIT, but if the retailer has a limit of £20 then that is all you can spend, but there is nothing stopping someone with an RBS / Natwest account / credit card going into the Apple store and paying £2000 for a new macbook via Apple pay providing funds are available.

I know some banks do impose limits, but there is no universal limit that goes across the board for Apple Pay like you have for contactless cards.

I believe the reason for this is that while Apple Pay is contactless, you still need to use your fingerprint to authorise the transaction, unlike a contactless card which doesn't require any other authorisation which means anyone could use contactless cards they found on the street, that security risk isn't present with Apple Pay.
  • 33q
    33q Posts: 43 Forumite
    edited 19 October 2016 at 11:06AM
    Paid for our Spectacles....just short of £600....on my Apple watch
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    I know Lloyds Bank/Halifax tend to be slightly more restrictive in the amounts allowed on Apple Pay.

A lot of places are capped at £30 for Android/Apple Pay and ordinary contactless but quite a few retailers are getting on board and taking higher value payments.

If your receipt has something along the lines of "Cardholder Device Verified" it's probable you can spend over £30.

It's worth pointing out that some businesses have Apple Pay decals in their window but have the £30 limit; IKEA is one such example.

I purchased my Apple Watch using my iPhone 6 Plus at their Regent Street branch in September 2015.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • I wonder if TSB are restricted to £30 ... until 1st January 2017 ;)
  • cbrown372
    cbrown372 Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    I downloaded the Tesco PayQuiq app on my phone which links your Tesco clubcard and a bank/credit card together. You log in and the cashier scans the barcode showing on your phone screen. To my knowledge there is no limit at the moment and trialling in London and Edinburgh.

Problem with paying for everything using my phone is yesterday I was in Asda and discovered they don't take Apple Pay and I didn't have my purse with me, fortunately I thought to ask before doing a shop.
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure