Vision Express "FREE" Eye Test Voucher - scam?!

I receive a letter from Vision Express in the post last week and attached was a voucher for 'FREE eye test plus £50 off eyewear'. I carefully checked if there were any T&Cs or smallprint (as it did sound like a very good deal) but there weren't any so I booked an appointment at my local branch.

I had my eye test and it turns out I did need glasses so I was asked to choose some frames. I chose some £80 ones, keeping in mind my £50 voucher so I only had to pay £30. I was then told to add an extra £81 for my lenses. when i realised how high the price was going to be, I explained to the member of staff serving me that I did not had sufficiant funds in my bank account until my payday later on in the week. I asked if I could pay a deposit now and pay the balance upon collection (I know some other Opticians do this) but I wasn;t allowed to do that. He then told me that because I wasn't purchasing my glasses today, I would now have to pay for my eye test (25!). I reminded him of my 'free eye test' voucher but he refused to let me use it, saying it was invalid if I wasn't buying any eyewear.

I reluctantly paid the £25 and took my prescription - needless to say I will NOT be going back to a Vision Express store to get my glasses!

When I returned home I carefully re-read the letter and voucher, checking it didn't say "for terms & conditions please see our website", or something similar. But it DEFINITELY didn't.

So, is there anything I can do? I have made a complaint on the Vision Express website. I just feel so silly for paying for the eye test, I should have stuck to my guns but it's difficult to do when you're on your own :(

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Why did you think the frame price included lenses?

It is a total deal. You get a free eye test and then £50 off eyewear. It can not be split. You can't have test and no specs for free or specs with no eytest and get £50 off.
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    I don't think it's a scam. It sounds pretty usual to me - the freebie part is only redeemable if you buy their product and lenses and frames are pretty much always charged separately.

It might be that the voucher wasn't very clear, but without having sight (ha ha!) of this, it's difficult for me to comment on whether they're being a bit naughty with their wording.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • Just get your prescription from them and go elsewhere for the glasses? Presumably you didn't pay for an eye test?
    I'm sure they are obliged to give you the prescription.
    That's what I've done in the past when they've (not vision Express) tried to steer me towards their glasses and lenses aftyer a chnge in prescription. I just say no thanks, my prescription please, then go elsewhere, usually online where you choose frames and provide prescription details for the lenses.
    If it says FREE eye test and there are no catches like only if the glasses etc. are purchased from them then the test surely has to be free? What would they do if you hadn't needed glasses? They couldn't have then charged for the test.
  • Oldagetraveller - I did pay for the eye test! They insisted I couldn't have it for free even though my voucher said "free eye test" and they only told me this after I'd had the test! :( I have my prescription so at least I can go elsewhere for some glasses.

Fluffnutter - It didn't specify on the voucher that this was the case - as Oldagetraveller said, what if I hadn't needed glasses?! All they needed to do was put some smallprint on the reverse of the voucher - as with most other vouchers around. The exact words on the voucher are "FREE eye test plus £50 off eyewear - to redeem just bring this voucher into your local Vision Express branch". I believe this wording is rather mis-leading.

!!!!!! - I didn't think the frame price included the lenses, I just didn't realise how much lenses cost. This is the first time I've needed glasses so not sure how/why I would have been aware of this. If the voucher says free eye test then why can't I have a free eye test? Again, as above - what if I hadn't needed glasses??

I'm sure I'm not the only person to take the voucher into Vision Express and actually expect a free eye test, regardless of whether they need glasses or not. It is very misleading. The voucher should have had small print that explained that the eye test was only free IF I purchased some glasses, in which case I would get £50 off.
  • System
    I wish I could pay £81 for lenses instead of the £400 I have to.
  • That's helpful, thank you !!!!!!.
  • halibut2209
    halibut2209 Posts: 4,248 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Your mistake was paying them.
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • Your mistake was paying them.

I realise that, but as a young(ish) girl I didn't feel confident enough to stand up to a group of staff members and refuse to pay! I felt that I had no choice.
  • System
    That's helpful, thank you !!!!!!.
    My pleasure
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    If you still have the voucher refer it to the Advertising Standards Authority
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure