House Insurance & Subsidence

MadAsToast
MadAsToast Posts: 20 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
edited 2 December 2016 at 4:59PM in Insurance & life assurance
Hi All,

New member so please be gentle ;)

Hoping someone might be able to assist or give some advice.

I had a small amount of subsidence 5 years back due to my local council not maintaining their trees and shrubbery running by the side of my house, this was sorted by my insurers and fully recovered and I had my excess returned (winner or so I thought).

Every year since I've been fleeced by my insurers as they constantly pile up the cost (about £100 increase this year) and I am unable to get a mainstream insurer to touch us with insurance.

So the question I guess is what do I do, I'm stuck paying through the nose to Tesco who repaired everything to their standards and have recovered the money and are now in the process of taking me for a ride.

I don't want to move, especially now as it'll be a hard sale to shift a house with previous subsidence, but I'm fed up of being stuck at the demands of a single insurer.

Any advice would be great.
Chris (AKA MadAsToast)

edit: (it seems I was hasty saying no-one would touch me, I might have saved some money, but I would appreciate any advice)

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    How much is your premium with Tesco's?
  • £520 after "negotiating"
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    MadAsToast wrote: »
    £520 after "negotiating"

Ouch, perhaps consider home insurance brokers rather than mainstream
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • I would check your policy wording and find out who your actual insurer is, who is underwriting the policy and get a quote from them. I would definitely stay with the same people who paid the claim.
  • Thanks for the reply.

The policy is with Tesco direct, however (and this is where it starts getting messy) at the time Tesco was underwritten by Zurich, and the claim was right on the cusp of a change over from Zurich to Tesco bank, so they split the claim over the two of them.

I'm reluctant to move insurance but I do have other quotes for about half the price (although I've never heard of some of the insurance companies so reluctant to use them).

It's never straightforward.

Thanks for all the comments/advice so far.

Why do you say to stick with those who paid the claim, I'm not sure I see the reasoning (although there might be a legitimate reason there)
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The reason is that if you stay with the same Insurer they will always offer renewal and importantly when you sell the house they will allow the new purchaser of the home to transfer the policy into their name.

(Both assuming you remain acceptable re claims etc)

If you go to a new Insurer, there is no guarantee that a) they will continue offering cover for you b) they will offer cover to a new purchaser of the home.

I've seen people in your position take cover out with an Insurer who had changed their acceptance on Subsidence and start taking new clients on. When they were selling the house I would receive a desperate phone call from them as their new Insurer had started receiving subsidence claims from the clients they took on and would not allow the policy to be transferred to the house purchaser.

The calls were all on the day of exchange and without fail the old (Original) Insurer refused to offer cover again as the client had broken the chain and insured elsewhere.

The majority of the sales fell through leaving the owner to remarket the house.

This may not be the case with the new Insurer you select but as someone who has been in the market a long time, I've seen this process happen with a few different companies who have dipped their toes in the market and then exited.

Your premium is not very high for a property with subsidence.

I would recommend you look at ways to reduce the premium.

This could include seeing if Tesco's offer discounts off your Home Insurance if you take other policies with them.

Seeing if a bigger excess offers a discount worth taking.

Looking if it's cheaper to just Insure your Buildings with Tesco but insure your contents with someone else (You only need to keep the continuous Building Insurance in place for the gurantee to continue)
  • Thanks for the advice, I'll leave the building insurance where it is then and see if I can save a few quid moving contents insurance.
  • I'm not an expert on subsidence and insurance but I was in a similar position where Swinton were increasing my insurance by ridiculous amounts each year. My house had subsidence and underpinning carried out 18 years ago.

A couple of years ago I made so many phone calls for quotes as I was determined to reduce this heftly monthly outgoing. Finally Legal & General not only said yes they could insure me but saved me approx £38 a month!

BUT my subsidence had been over 18 years ago and I could state clearly that there had not been any movement since the underpinning work. I notice your just 5 years into it so you might have to wait 10 years (for Legal & General).

I would give them a ring though and see, you've nothing to lose.

Good luck! The day I reduced that horrible monthly payment I felt a big weight lift. :j

(Just remembered I think I actually posted on here about it at the time in case it helped anyone else.)
  • The plot "thickens" I spoke to Tesco yesterday and they broke the renewal quote down into two chunks.

Buildings - £188,83
    Contents - £334.39

Seems that the "loading" has all gone against the contents insurance as the building insurance is still quite "reasonable" all things considered.

They confirmed that I had 9+ years of no claim bonus applied to the contents - I have quoted with other companies and at no point do they ask about subsidence for contents. I'm a little nervious moving the insurance after what was said above, so wanted to make 100% sure I'm fully informed before I "jump ship" with the content insurance, as far as I can tell I'm good to move contents, get better cover and save nearly £200.

Any more comments/advice are gratefully received

Thanks again for the comments.
  • That premium isn't normal for contents cover, even in london!

What CSI do you have, and are there any specified items (like jewellery)?

Or, perhaps whoever you spoke to got their numbers backwards? I.e it's the buildings which is £300+ and the contents are £180
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure