PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Os portions

I was looking at an old cook book and it had a recipe with four pork chops that serves four people. When I make pork chops everyone usually has 2-3 each. It got me thinking about portions in other things, and I remembered when I went to my granny's house in the 70s and we were allowed to pick one biscuit from the jar each. Nowadays I eat 4 in a sitting easily! Also my dad used to cook a roast chicken and between 5 of us we only at one half of the chicken. Second helpings were unheard of! 1 lb of mince also made enough spaghetti bolognese to last the family 2 days - we each got a tablespoon on our pasta. It didn't feel at the time that dad was being stingey, it was just our normal sized helping. I don't know if other people at more? I was certainly not overweight like I am now!

Do you find your portions far bigger now that your parents used to serve?

Comments

• Absolutely portions are huge now.
    Sometimes when I'm eating out and I see small kids eating adult size portions it makes me feel sick.
    I think we always had plenty veg and less meat. Sweets weren't an everyday thing and biscuits the same. I know what you mean though I can easily eat a pack of biscuits on my own which is why I never buy them.:rotfl:
    I still base my portion sizes on what my mammy and my gran did.
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    No but we have more treats.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 March 2017 at 9:29PM
    We used to have pork chops, in a casserole. Tiny/thin things they were, with meat the size of a 50p piece. A portion was one chop - but as most of it was bone and a fatty end I didn't really like to bother most of the time and dad'd have my chop.

I was in my mid 20s before I saw a huge/fat chop - I had a friend who was a butcher and saw what she served up to her husband.... I was gobsmacked. Her chop was twice what we used to have for four of us.

One of my early memories was mum/dad in a supermarket, looking through the freezers for a chicken which had to be exactly 1lb 15oz. No bigger, no smaller. That was our Sunday chicken for a family of 5 ... with leftovers for tea and into the week. 1lb 15oz = 0.87Kg.
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Yes, portions are huge compared to what I remember from my childhood in the 60s. We weren't well off, but we weren't p!ss poor either - my mother was a good housekeeper.

Coffee used to come in a coffee cup, not a young bucket. 4oz of meat was an appropriate portion for one person (still is in this house) - meaning a pound of meat would feed 4. Ice cream only came as a single scoop. Crisps come in huge bags (I know you're supposed to share them, I also know that people buy them and eat them all by themselves). When we had our Sunday dinner (roast beef back then, as it was cheaper than other joints or a chicken), each person got two slices of meat, and the rest was saved to be eaten cold on a Monday.

Plates have got bigger too - so we feel we need to put more on them.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Lynplatinum
    Lynplatinum Posts: 939 Forumite
    Hiya

Somewhere on here there was a discussion about plate sizes. I agreed with the posters on there that plates have got bigger. I have been turning out my Mum's place and found plates etc from the 1950s and 60s. I recently bought a 4 place setting in white (only a cheap 20 quid one) because so many of mine were chipped and probably not hygenic anymore - in that you couldnt clean where they were chipped! they were about 20 percent bigger again! Mausssive!

Also because I have been on holiday last week I took my friend with whom I stayed for part of the week out for a 'thank you' meal - again - huge portion sizes which we struggled to finish. We also watched in horror at the sizes/ amounts that some folks took for their buffet breakfast. After one chap (very overweight) had gone up for the third time my friend said 'Oh it turns your stomach - doesnt it - I dont think I can watch him bolt another platefull - shall we leave!' I had to agree. :(

Also so many folk eat while watching the tv or reading - how can you know when you are full! this is a habit I am trying to stop as I am, myself, 3 stone overweight!

So, yes I do think portion sizes have got bigger and its not helping us - it makes us waste food and get overweight and suffer all the problems of obesity (which is why I am trying to loose weight)
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I have a full sized dinner set from when I had all my family around the table but in the past few years I have got a smaller sized plate as there is only me as a rule at the table (note table, and not on my lap ) My Mum would be horrified at the thought of not eating up to the table no matter what meal it was and after over 70 years I still can't break the habit of sitting at the table for my food. My eldest DD bought me a couple of smaller sized plates which I use all the time and do my best not to over load them I have just come home from dinner at my youngest DD's and brought with me some left over bits which will be my dinner tomorrow night two roasties, some slices of lamb and a yorkshire I will steam some veg, and make some gravy, and that will be more than enough for my dinner tomorrow night. On the odd occasion when I have been in one of those chain pubs where its a buffet the times I see people return to load their plates up makes me feel a bit queasy They often eat half and leave the rest and I think what a waste. When my OH was alive now and again we would have fish and chips (not often as I'm not that keen ) and we would get one portion of chips and a piece of cod between the two of us and it seemed there was always chips left over and the portions were huge.

perhaps its being brought up with rationing and never having overloaded plates as a child ,we ate all we had and certainly never asked for seconds :) I can't imagine what my Mum would have said if we had,but I was never hungry ,and we didn't snack on stuff between meals either as a lot of children seem to do today.Crisps were almost unheard of and a very rare occurrence in our house.
  • Willowx
    Willowx Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I find portion sizes in most places way too big personally, I had breakfast at a cafe in London a few weeks back and not only skipped lunch but only had a snack for dinner. My portions more or less match those of my childhood​, some things I have a bit more of some a bit less than back then. However, since my father has taken over the cooking at my parents house the portion sizes there have increased significantly when I visit my father refuses to give me a smaller portion, objects when I don't eat it all, yet he has no idea why he's gaining weight.
  • I don't remember plate or portion sizes, but do remember my grandma cutting very thin slices of bread. Slices of buttered bread were on the table set for most meals. I don't remember having sandwiches as a meal. Then we got sliced bread in the shops, I must have been 8 or 9, and remember the housewives - my friends' mums - coming back from the shop (it was 'Maypole') complaining the price had gone up to a shilling (5p) for a loaf.
    Makes me feel really old!
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Willowx wrote: »
    I find portion sizes in most places way too big personally, I had breakfast at a cafe in London a few weeks back and not only skipped lunch but only had a snack for dinner.

Same here. I always end up leaving food on my plate when I eat out which I hate as people think I am being wasteful.

I once saw an exhibition about food and obesity at the Wellcome Collection in London. They had plastic models showing what size a portion of different types of food should be. I remember thinking that a lot of people would object if you served them up such small portions. I remember the red meat one was the size of a pack of cards. If I made a Sunday roast where each person had that amount of meat (which I guess would translate into three small slices) I'd probably get a reputation as a miser!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Coffee used to come in a coffee cup, not a young bucket.
    Small and dainty teacups - I can't abide them! My standard size is 400ml and I will drink no less at a time, although since January coffee out has been a v rare treat indeed. I like my coffee with plenty of milk which is a handy way of sneaking calcium in (contemplates wandering downstairs to make another mug).

I'm slim, largely because I barely eat these days and am another one who eats off a single side plate, e.g. 1/2 a sandwich and 1/2 pack of crisps (or even, better aforementioned crisps in the sandwich :D). My side plates are getting chipped now, but I can't remember the last time my full plates got an outing when I didn't have people over to eat!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure