Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 8th Mar 15, 10:07 PM
    • 5,480Posts
    • 28,040Thanks
    AlexLK
    Renovations and Repayments.
    • 8th Mar 15, 10:07 PM
    Renovations and Repayments. 8th Mar 15 at 10:07 PM
    Hello and welcome to visitors familiar with my journey thus far and are surprised to see me on such a sensible board and a further warm welcome to the new faces wondering what they've let themselves in for.

Let me begin by clarifying a few points: the first one is I am not sure whether I'm actually serious or not about clearing my mortgage and the second is the fact my house needs quite a bit of work doing to it. This work I do myself and in the time my wife and I have lived in the house we've learnt all kinds of new skills. The current project involves renewing the windows and I am making the frames myself, two are done and I'm pleased to say look great.

I plan to use this mortgage free (how very grown up) diary to document the renovations and my savings activities, out of which overpayments may or may not be made. However, I am fully committed to long term saving and making as much money as possible. A long term goal of mine is to add to the BTL portfolio I shall one day inherit and am already becoming more involved in which is perhaps a good reason to pay my mortgage off and make my current property into an investment.

Aside from the recent interest in moneysaving I have a four year old son, run my own company, play and teach the violin and piano whilst studying for my own interest. Oh and don't mention the cars.

Those familiar with my debt-free diary will know I'm not exactly great at record keeping but am trying to improve, so please don't expect the detailed financial updates others seem to put on here. To kick things off, I suppose I ought to confess the mortgage debt is a total of circa £185,000 and I have no real timescale or plan in mind to pay it off.

Sorry if this is not a particularly articulate introduction, as I seem to be at a loss how to tailor it to both those who've read my debt free diary and to new readers frequenting mortgage free.
    Savings 2017: £1390. Overpayments 2017: £500.
    Saved £11,000 in 2015, £9,800 in 2016.
    From £32,000 in debt on 2/9/2013 to debt free on 12/1/2015.
Page 140
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 26th Mar 17, 3:26 AM
    • 366 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    badmemory
    I don't know if this will help with night time disturbances but I've just read an article on the BBC news website (health) that says that reducing salt intake can really help when there is no medical reason.
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 26th Mar 17, 11:36 AM
    • 5,497 Posts
    • 37,544 Thanks
    newgirly
    Would reading in bed help? Even if it doesn't help sleep wise its a good distraction from lying in bed worrying about not sleeping.

Hope you all enjoy Mother's Day today
    MFW 21
    Target for 2017 £38,545 / £6,135 paid so far

Mortgage £53,630 5 yrs 2 months left. Total owed £74,251 planning to clear in 18 months
    Weight loss target 2017 28lb target /1.5
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 26th Mar 17, 8:32 PM
    • 5,480 Posts
    • 28,040 Thanks
    AlexLK
    I don't know if this will help with night time disturbances but I've just read an article on the BBC news website (health) that says that reducing salt intake can really help when there is no medical reason.
    Originally posted by badmemory
    Thanks, badmemory. Unfortunately, I don't think it will help for me. I cook with very little salt / eat few foods with high salt content. I'm inclined to agree with the doctors I have seen about the causes. Whilst it's annoying, I'm glad to have (finally!) found I have nothing physically wrong with me. Cutting out caffeine and alcohol has helped. I only tend to drink very occasionally now. Last night my wife and I shared a bottle of wine and I had a (generous measure of) Scotch, a few years ago that would have been a light evening but since I hardly drink now it was quite a heavy one. Certainly don't have the tolerance I once had.

Didn't have a great night but got more sleep than I have in a few days. Whilst I tend to get up more after drinking, I do seem to fall to sleep more easily after waking. Drinking of an evening is not a solution to the not being able to fall to sleep problem, though.

Would reading in bed help? Even if it doesn't help sleep wise its a good distraction from lying in bed worrying about not sleeping.

Hope you all enjoy Mother's Day today
    Originally posted by newgirly
    Thank you, NG. I do not want to wake my wife and am not sure reading on the ipad is a good idea, either. When my wife is away I read in bed and listen to music which seems to help me to fall to sleep.

Mother's day has been hectic. I cooked a roast for lunchtime at my parents' and this afternoon we visited my in-laws. We got my wife a new set of pencil crayons (she enjoys drawing and painting and the current set are very old and worn to almost nothing) and made her a card. For my mother we made a cake, I framed a photo of my son and made her a card. For mother-in-law we did the same. Son has had far too many sweets; mother-in-law could probably open a sweet shop.
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 26th Mar 17, 8:40 PM
    • 5,480 Posts
    • 28,040 Thanks
    AlexLK
    March Targets:

OSPREYS - CHECK. Will have a double check tomorrow. By the time we got back tonight it was too late.
    Total Grocery Spend: £260/>£450.
    Surplus Money: £750/£750.
    Going to bed at a reasonable time: 21/31.
    Meditation: 23/31. Going to do this when I go to bed.
    One new recipe per week: 3/4.
    Read three books: 1/3.
    3 Things for Monday: 1. Three things to smile about, 2. Get all jobs I meant to do today done, 3. Go to bed at a reasonable time.

3 Things for Sunday: 1. Check this in the morning, Did not happen, hardly had time to do anything today!2. Find three things to smile about, 1. Glorious weather, 2. Lighter evenings, 3. Successful Mother's Day.3. Do at least the one minute meditation exercise. Going to do an extended one before I go to bed this evening.

No MSE activities done today. My wife and I are going to talk about the time scale of getting the bathroom done tomorrow. She is keen to get on with the work and potentially a little interest-free borrowing. I think we've waited all this time so we can wait a little longer.
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 27th Mar 17, 7:05 AM
    • 5,480 Posts
    • 28,040 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Went to bed at 11pm last night. Mrs K was still awake so I put a 30 minute guided meditation for sleep on. 6 1/2 hours uninterrupted sleep, woke with no muscle pain (tension) and getting up was not too difficult. No idea why it worked so well, it just did. Actually feel like facing the day for once which must be a good thing. Going to do a ten minute wake up one now which apparently helps you to have a positive and productive day. I need to be more productive which should hopefully in turn help me to make a little more money for the work on the house to be completed.

Managed to play two duets with my son and he's practising piano independently before school.

Finally checked this also ... so after the meditation I will send the invoices for the week (one job from yesterday) rather than trying to forget about life before 8.35am.
    Last edited by AlexLK; 27-03-2017 at 7:08 AM.
    • kelpie35
    • By kelpie35 27th Mar 17, 9:09 AM
    • 1,327 Posts
    • 4,084 Thanks
    kelpie35
    So pleased you have had a well deserved sleep.

Hope your day continues to be productive.

Take care
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 27th Mar 17, 4:36 PM
    • 5,480 Posts
    • 28,040 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Generally, a rather productive day, thanks kelpie.

Did the 10 minute wake up meditation. Son wondered what on earth I was doing - went into the study and told him not to disturb me. It does feel a bit silly but seems to be working well for me. A little while ago I did a 5 minute one for energy; was and am feeling very tired. It hasn't worked but has stopped some negative thoughts. I'm really tired so am not surprised. Often the days I have a good sleep I am very tired during the late afternoon of the next day.

Some meditations trigger some dark and negative thoughts momentarily as quite a few invite you to be positive about yourself, your surroundings and your past. One today said something along the lines of "you're exactly where you need to be at the moment", previously it mentioned your past actions put you exactly where you need to be. I find that especially difficult to deal with but any negative thoughts are very fleeting.

Not managed to do anything towards making some extra money towards the bathroom project but I have been working all day and got the last food shop done before April - well under budget for March. Thinking about knocking it down to £400 for April and the £100 saving from the amount we anticipate to spend being put towards the upcoming project.

Got the conversation about whether to save or borrow to get the project done tonight. I've no wish to borrow any money even if via the company or a 0% credit card - this is all Mrs. K.'s idea, can't say I'm happy about it. I want to get the work done but we've lived with it as it is for a long time and it's still functional. Don't even want to owe myself money if I'm honest but my wife thinks this is irrational.
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 27th Mar 17, 9:31 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 5,644 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Hi Alex, I tend to think along the lines of your wife. We recently got wardrobes and sofas on interest free credit. We had the funds available but chose to stash them & gain interest, then pay the monthly bill from our monthly wages (safe in the knowledge we can pay back in full if we had too! )

But if you have enough for the outlay, then I see the validity in your viewpoint too
    Emergency savings- £905.20 /£1750
    Mortgage Oct '16- £170.995 LTV- 90% end date Nov 2041
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    2017 MFW #20 - OP [B][COLOR="Blue"]£645.10/2150. 30%
    Jan- £68.15, Feb- £306.67, March- £270.22
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 27th Mar 17, 10:01 PM
    • 5,480 Posts
    • 28,040 Thanks
    AlexLK
    March Targets:

OSPREYS - CHECK.
    Total Grocery Spend: £305/>£450.
    Going to bed at a reasonable time: 22/31.
    Meditation: 24/31. Lots of meditation done today, will be having my sleep meditation on tonight again, too.
    One new recipe per week: 4/4. Delia goulash planned, thanks Maman.
    Read three books: 1/3. That went well ...
    3 Things for Tuesday: 1. Three things to smile about, 2. Be on time for things, 3. Do the meditations including the wake up one but try to do that earlier.

3 Things for Monday: 1. Three things to smile about, 1. Meditation mastered ... , 2. Talked about a difficult subject with my wife (bathroom project and paying for it) in a calm and measured way. We both listened to one another's point of view and whilst not reached any conclusion, we've agreed to discuss again tomorrow. 3. Getting through the day in a positive manner and moving on from the one minute meditation as and when needed to a more formal guided meditation.2. Get all jobs I meant to do today done, DONE! Without fuss or issue (even the ones I didn't want to do).3. Go to bed at a reasonable time. Done and will be doing again today.

Hi Alex, I tend to think along the lines of your wife. We recently got wardrobes and sofas on interest free credit. We had the funds available but chose to stash them & gain interest, then pay the monthly bill from our monthly wages (safe in the knowledge we can pay back in full if we had too! )

But if you have enough for the outlay, then I see the validity in your viewpoint too
    Originally posted by Kittenkirst
    I understand why she wants us to do it now - before I start my course in September. Currently we don't have the money spare to complete the job. To see the project through to completion before September (when we should have the money), we would need to either borrow money from the company I'm a director of which means dealing with my parents (they are also directors and it's their money, really ) or my wife gets a 0% credit card and we pay it back as if we were saving for the project, so would be clear in around September / October time.

A lot of the reason I do not wish to borrow money is due to the reason I ended up on MSE in the first place; I was in a very bad place with debt problems and resolved to clear the debt and not to let it happen again. My wife thinks I'm being irrational about this as she thinks it in no way means the beginning of the end to our current solvency. I suppose she's right about that as we projected when and how we'd pay the debt before the end of this year rather than it being a problem for another day. However, I cannot help but think any debt (other than our mortgage which I see as a debt from the past we are yet to clear) isn't a good thing. All that said if it were anyone else I'd probably tell them that if they'd projected how and by when they'd pay it back, they'd be crazy not to take an interest free loan (can always be making a little from your own capital whilst paying the loan and end up better off).
    • maman
    • By maman 27th Mar 17, 10:38 PM
    • 15,628 Posts
    • 92,898 Thanks
    maman
    Hope you enjoy the goulash Alex. Another very simple recipe I did last week was chicken breast, stuffed with cream cheese and garlic then wrapped in parma ham (although I used bacon as I wanted to use it up).

On the bathroom issue, I think you're responsible enough to have learned not to abuse the credit card. I think this would be a massively better idea than borrowing from your parents.

Hope you get another decent night's sleep.
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 28th Mar 17, 4:00 PM
    • 5,480 Posts
    • 28,040 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Hope you enjoy the goulash Alex. Another very simple recipe I did last week was chicken breast, stuffed with cream cheese and garlic then wrapped in parma ham (although I used bacon as I wanted to use it up).

On the bathroom issue, I think you're responsible enough to have learned not to abuse the credit card. I think this would be a massively better idea than borrowing from your parents.

Hope you get another decent night's sleep.
    Originally posted by maman
    Last night wasn't as good nor did the meditation seem quite as effective. Not bad and didn't wake in any pain, though I got up twice in the night. Overall more hours in bed but I think less sleep (didn't keep checking the clock or ipad though).

Not having the goulash until later in the week but I'm sure we'll enjoy it. The chicken dish also sounds very nice. May do that next week with some new potatoes, carrots, peas and perhaps another vegetable too.

I know doing the bathroom project in September / October will make things a little more difficult but I think it would be better for me to wait until then. Don't really want to speak to my parents about (personal) money nor do I want my wife and I to be in debt again. Last year's savings were completely wiped out by the roof being replaced; we've hardly been irresponsible with the money we've saved. Suppose the idea of getting into debt again makes me feel quite ashamed that we can't just pay for things despite making an effort with our finances.
    • Debsnewbudget
    • By Debsnewbudget 28th Mar 17, 7:29 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 1,992 Thanks
    Debsnewbudget
    Have you got a price for the bathroom ?
    It would be better to get it done before you start the course as I think you need to spend all your energy on the studying. Also if you are at college would there be anyone in The house to deal with any builders ?
    We are having the bathroom done and have factored in the amount we can save between now and the actual work in June so have said go ahead as it focuses our minds on needing to save. Its going to be close but I think we can manage it and then replenish the savings after.
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 28th Mar 17, 9:26 PM
    • 5,480 Posts
    • 28,040 Thanks
    AlexLK
    March Targets:

OSPREYS - CHECK.

Total Grocery Spend: £305/>£450. Also, NSD today.
    Going to bed at a reasonable time: 23/31.
    Meditation: 25/31.
    One new recipe per week: 4/4.
    3 Things for Wednesday: 1. Three things to smile about, 2. Be on time for things, 3. Do the meditations.

3 Things for Tuesday: 1. Three things to smile about, 1. Managed to get a lot of work done, 2. Really enjoyed cooking with my son today, 3. Not felt negative (probably due to occupying my mind all day).2. Be on time for things, Didn't really work, will try again tomorrow.3. Do the meditations including the wake up one but try to do that earlierDid the wake up meditation as I woke, it worked well and set me up for the day. .

Have you got a price for the bathroom ?
    It would be better to get it done before you start the course as I think you need to spend all your energy on the studying. Also if you are at college would there be anyone in The house to deal with any builders ?
    We are having the bathroom done and have factored in the amount we can save between now and the actual work in June so have said go ahead as it focuses our minds on needing to save. Its going to be close but I think we can manage it and then replenish the savings after.
    Originally posted by Debsnewbudget
    We're budgeting £8,000.

I'm not worried about studying. I did a second MA recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't find it a chore or difficult. The studying side I will be fine with, I'm very interested in pedagogy and the academic discipline. It's the work element of it I'm somewhat apprehensive about. I will be spending hardly any time at the university and the vast majority of days in a school working (don't know where yet). You're right about me not being at home of a daytime from September. I was thinking they could just come and go as they please; we shouldn't have tradesmen here for too many days as my wife and I will do at least some of the work ourselves.

We won't be able to save that amount before September / October time. Doing it then involves selling our Triumph saloon (not a big deal, we want to sell anyway, not too concerned about replacing it and it's not worth much), saving £750 per month every month and postponing the holiday we wanted to go on until next year. My wife wants to put c. £6,000 on a 0% card, sell the Triumph anyway and still go to France. To my mind we cannot afford to complete the bathroom project and go on holiday this year.
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 29th Mar 17, 6:02 AM
    • 5,497 Posts
    • 37,544 Thanks
    newgirly
    If I'm were you Alex try and reach a compromise with your wife or let her have her own way, it's been a stressful year for both of you and this is something she has been wanting a long time, I understand your reluctance to borrow but if it's short term and 0% it may be well worth it.
    MFW 21

Mortgage £53,630 5 yrs 2 months left. Total owed £74,251 planning to clear in 18 months
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 29th Mar 17, 8:41 AM
    • 16,269 Posts
    • 106,433 Thanks
    gallygirl
    As the great Saint Martin says, not all debt is bad debt. Borrowing a pre-agreed amount on a 0% credit card, with a definite plan to pay it off, is very different to overspending on high interest cards and not even opening the bills, let alone paying them off. You've come a long way, trust yourself.

As NG says, you've had a stressful year and a holiday will do you the world of good, as will having a new bathroom . Get it planned and booked and start getting the Triumph ready to sell. Then get it done with a nice holiday to reward you and Mrs LK for all your hard work .

Now you are feeling much more motivated and positive (which is great ), time to take a good look about you. Your lifestyle is about to undergo a major change and you won't have as much spare time as before. If you're worried about the debt why not get some stuff sorted to sell to pay for it? Do you actually have an inventory of furniture etc. that is surplus to requirements, plus a reasonable estimate of what it is worth? If not, why not? You could make a start cataloging stuff (using your newfound excel skills ) and sell items to help pay for the bathroom. Personally, I'd start with the largest items, not the most valuable, as clearing 'space' will help clear your mind. (Don't say that's all woo-woo as you've seen how mediation works, you ageing hippy ).
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • maman
    • By maman 29th Mar 17, 11:32 AM
    • 15,628 Posts
    • 92,898 Thanks
    maman
    I agree with gallygirl.

Planning the bathroom and a holiday will give you and MrsK a project to work together on and something to look forward to. Similarly planning to sell off some of the 'stuff' you've accumulated will be cathartic, clear some space and help allay your fears about how much goes on the 0% card.

Hopefully what you've learned from using mse is to spend wisely and responsibly not just to stop spending.

As for September. I'm sure you'll cope fine with the studying although it will be studying and writing after a long day at school which is different from full time study. What I think you might also find a challenge is the prescriptiveness of the curriculum and that you have to do what you can with a class of 30 and the resources you have which is very different from the independent sector or home schooling. I remember how critical you were of LittleK's class teacher and the discussions you had with the Head a couple of years ago.
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 29th Mar 17, 11:25 PM
    • 5,480 Posts
    • 28,040 Thanks
    AlexLK
    March Targets:

OSPREYS - CHECK.
    Total Grocery Spend: £305/>£450. Also, NSD today again.
    Going to bed at a reasonable time: 24/31. Not going to happen tonight.
    Meditation: 25/31.
    One new recipe per week: 4/4.
    3 Things for Thursday: Will try again ... 1. Three things to smile about, 2. Be on time for things, 3. Do the meditations.

Well, went to counselling this evening and my wife decided to bring up my "problem" with us potentially getting ourselves into even more debt. I've had a rubbish day in general. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

If I'm were you Alex try and reach a compromise with your wife or let her have her own way, it's been a stressful year for both of you and this is something she has been wanting a long time, I understand your reluctance to borrow but if it's short term and 0% it may be well worth it.
    Originally posted by newgirly
    I can't see how getting into debt can be "worth it" for the sake of a few months when we have lived with the bathroom as it is for a decade.

As the great Saint Martin says, not all debt is bad debt. Borrowing a pre-agreed amount on a 0% credit card, with a definite plan to pay it off, is very different to overspending on high interest cards and not even opening the bills, let alone paying them off. You've come a long way, trust yourself.

As NG says, you've had a stressful year and a will do you the world of good, as will having a new bathroom . Get it planned and booked and start getting the Triumph ready to sell. Then get it done with a nice to reward you and Mrs LK for all your hard work .

Now you are feeling much more motivated and positive (which is great ), time to take a good look about you. Your lifestyle is about to undergo a major change and you won't have as much spare time as before. If you're worried about the debt why not get some stuff sorted to sell to pay for it? Do you actually have an inventory of furniture etc. that is surplus to requirements, plus a reasonable estimate of what it is worth? If not, why not? You could make a start cataloging stuff (using your newfound excel skills ) and sell items to help pay for the bathroom. Personally, I'd start with the largest items, not the most valuable, as clearing 'space' will help clear your mind. (Don't say that's all woo-woo as you've seen how mediation works, you ageing hippy ).
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    I understand it is different and can see the benefits of taking advantage of 0% deals. I just don't want to owe money, interest free or not.

I'd love to go to France this year. I've been teaching my son French since before Christmas as I was planning to go just with my son if things hadn't worked out with my wife. However, my plan was to sell the Triumph (it's overstayed its welcome and I've no desire to replace it) and spend a few weeks away over summer. That did not take the bathroom project into account.

Do need and want to do something about the clutter. If I were really committed we could probably pay for the bathroom project in selling things we don't really want / need anymore. No inventory as yet ... no clue of what we have, to be honest. As for the excel skills, not sure reading a few pages of a for dummies guide makes it a "skill" yet.

Clearing some space would be good, I think. Woo-woo, as I still believe meditation is but it seems sometimes woo-woo can work if you allow yourself to give in to it.

I agree with gallygirl.

Planning the bathroom and a will give you and MrsK a project to work together on and something to look forward to. Similarly planning to sell off some of the 'stuff' you've accumulated will be cathartic, clear some space and help allay your fears about how much goes on the 0% card.

Hopefully what you've learned from using mse is to spend wisely and responsibly not just to stop spending.

As for September. I'm sure you'll cope fine with the studying although it will be studying and writing after a long day at school which is different from full time study. What I think you might also find a challenge is the prescriptiveness of the curriculum and that you have to do what you can with a class of 30 and the resources you have which is very different from the independent sector or home schooling. I remember how critical you were of LittleK's class teacher and the s you had with the Head a couple of years ago.
    Originally posted by maman
    Not sure having a project to work together on is a good idea after tonight. We've fell out over her trying to pressurise me into making a decision.

I've learnt that beyond necessary spending on essentials, only try to spend on appreciating assets. That way when the boredom inevitably creeps in, the item can be sold and a profit enjoyed.

We shall see re. the teaching. I've an open mind about it at the moment. Can't say I think the class teacher at my son's school does a good job now. My son has settled well and I don't want to take that away from him by rocking the boat. However, he has a lot of support from me, 1-2 hours per evening and around 6-8 hours over the weekend, so I don't think he is going to suffer academically for being at that school. It seems you've little faith in my ability to teach but anyone I've entered for a music exam has passed (practical and theory), my son is doing well, I've managed to engage with children others haven't, helped pupils to make progress through volunteering and have good reports about my ability to teach and engage pupils from the schools I've spent my own time volunteering in. Whilst I may not be paid to work in the schools (other than by parents wishing to have formal music lessons), I have put a lot of effort in to help pupils to progress academically.
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 30th Mar 17, 3:50 AM
    • 5,497 Posts
    • 37,544 Thanks
    newgirly
    I can't see how getting into debt can be "worth it" for the sake of a few months when we have lived with the bathroom as it is for a decade.

Not sure having a project to work together on is a good idea after tonight. We've fell out over her trying to pressurise me into making a decision.

I meant "worth it" from a marital harmony point of view Alex (which is always an excellent reason )
    MFW 21

• Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 30th Mar 17, 8:10 AM
    • 1,088 Posts
    • 14,534 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Alex, If you were going to sell the Triumph anyway, why not sell it now and put the money towards the bathroom while continuing to save as though it were for the bathroom, in order to have the money for the planned French trip? Just flex the pots the money is going to and you can accelerate the bathroom project and still go to France. With the sudden warming up of our Spring it is the perfect time to sell collectable cars. And the added benefit of compromising with your wife's desire to complete the project. It also means you will be around to keep an eye on the bathroom contractors ahead of your teaching course starting (when it could all feel rather pressurised while things settle down)
    MFiT T4 #2 update 12.11% after Q4
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £2,369.83/£11,000 (21.54%) after Mar (Save £12k in 2016 thread #92 £10,488.04/£10,000)
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 25.39% including stores after March
    Reading and learning about investing...
    • maman
    • By maman 30th Mar 17, 10:11 AM
    • 15,628 Posts
    • 92,898 Thanks
    maman
    Sorry Alex, didn't mean my comment to come across as criticism of your teaching skills. My worry was just that you hold such store and have had such success from taking individuals forward that I wanted to highlight the difference between that and the accountability for the progress of a class of perhaps 30+ against the backdrop of a prescriptive curriculum.

You've also hinted that 'if you were really committed' you could have a new bathroom and a holiday. It seems your differing views on what to do to the bathroom may be at the root of this but I agree it was a bit naughty of MrsK to seemingly try to use the counsellor to bounce you into it. But in your own post you've demonstrated that there is a solution. It's a mixture of selling the unwanted car, some 'stuff' and continuing to spend only on essentials. You've also proved that you can bring the cost of essentials down if you're careful. It seems you're ending March with money left in your food budget. Are you still cooking for the parents?

Hope the sun is shining on you as it is here. Do you have plans for the Easter holiday?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,330Posts Today

9,162Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Has twitter changed the character count so reply @ addresses no longer count? It seems that way!

• RT @SkyNewsEditor: Young journos: 24 hrs left to apply for @JSchofieldTrust Mentor Scheme - team up with top broadcast journalists: https:/?

• RT @LucyGrahamxox: @MartinSLewis just got £952 back in reclaimed account charges from my bank after watching the show! Holiday paid for! #M?

• Follow Martin