ETF risk?

Options
Looking at a small allocation to gold and have short-listed a couple of ETFs.

iShares Physical Gold ETC (GBP) SGLN, TER 0.25%.
The gold bullion is held as allocated gold bars with the custodian, JPMorgan. State Street acts as the Trustee.

Source Physical Gold P-ETC (GBP) SGLP, TER 0.29%.
The gold bullion is held in allocated gold bars with the residual amount held in unallocated gold in a segregated account with JP Morgan Chase Bank acting as Custodian and Deutsche Bank as Trustee.

How much significance should be put on the Trustee?
State Street probably refers to State Street Corp which has three divisions. It is massive but not without some scandals in the past.
Deutsche Bank has potential balance sheet issues now and Merkel has previously inferred it will not be bailed out if it fails.

Comments

• EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    I use SGLN and SPGP for gold investments (SPGP = gold mining and leveraged to the gold price). These iShares funds are run by Blackrock which I think is the biggest player; if you can't trust them, might as well give up.
  • beansOnToast_3
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about the Trustees in this case. Both are major players. The actual gold bars are held with the Custodian (JP Morgan in the case of both the funds you mention).
    The trustee is responsible to making sure the assets at held safely by the custodian and that correct accounting and regulatory procedures are followed by the fund.

In the end, as EdGasket says, if you're concerned about any of the institutions mentioned (JPM, State Street, DB etc), then the whole market has much bigger problems and you may be better off steering clear of ETF market completely.

Disclosure: I hold SGLN.
  • northbob
    Options
    Thank you for those answers.

Probably being over cautious.
  • northbob
    Options
    Both of these are up 35% in the last 12m.

Both have USD ETFs up 16%:
    iShares Physical Gold ETC (USD) IGLN
    Source Physical Gold P-ETC (USD) SGLD

The difference I attribute to GBP weakness v USD causing the GBP funds to gain on currency rather than the underlying asset value. A quick check seems to confirm gold spot is up 16% last 12m.

In short is it better to go with the USD version if the aim is returns that reflect the actual spot price of gold?
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about the Trustees in this case. Both are major players. The actual gold bars are held with the Custodian (JP Morgan in the case of both the funds you mention).
    The trustee is responsible to making sure the assets at held safely by the custodian and that correct accounting and regulatory procedures are followed by the fund.

In the end, as EdGasket says, if you're concerned about any of the institutions mentioned (JPM, State Street, DB etc), then the whole market has much bigger problems and you may be better off steering clear of ETF market completely.
    Observation: when Lehman Bros went under, it took bloody ages to unwind the assets held on behalf of loads of different counterparties. And Lehman wasn't around to pay you compensation for losses incurred while you couldn't access your positions.

The reason you will have heard of Lehman's, is because they were major players. So major that people were very surprised that they collapsed.

Yes, for Lehman's to go under there were bigger problems than just Lehman's going under. There was a big global financial crisis. However, in that crisis I was quite glad I hadn't directly held a meaningful portion of my assets in funds which were using Lehman as counterparty to a physical or derivative transaction. It turned out that they weren't safe to use even though they seemed big and famous.
    northbob wrote: »
    In short is it better to go with the USD version if the aim is returns that reflect the actual spot price of gold?
    In short, they are not hedging the currency effect themselves within the fund, so you are just getting exposure to the underlying assets.

Say a kilo of gold is today worth 1 GBP or 1.3 USD.

Then after a year it "more than doubles" in value to 3 dollars, but the exchange rate has moved to 1.50:1 from its current 1.30:1, so in GBP terms it is worth 2 quid. So it merely doubled, not "more than doubled" in sterling terms.

The fund priced in GBP shows 100% gain. So you could buy that GBP fund at £100 and later sell at £200.

The fund priced in USD shows 130% gain. So you could use your £100 to buy $130, then sell it at $300, and say whoopee, i more than doubled my investment. But then to get pounds back again you sell the $300 and get £200. Which is the same position as just buying the GBP fund in the first place.

If the USD fund is more readily available and more liquid and your stockbroker or investment platform doesn't charge much in the way of fx fees to buy $130 to buy into the USD-priced version of the fund, then sure, you could buy that one. Most UK investors would just buy the GBP one if it was readily available.
  • beansOnToast_3
    Options
    However, in that crisis I was quite glad I hadn't directly held a meaningful portion of my assets in funds which were using Lehman as counterparty to a physical or derivative transaction. It turned out that they weren't safe to use even though they seemed big and famous.

All valid points. Investing in any ETF / Unit Trust / Mutual Fund exposes you to counterparty risk.

I don't know what the OP's portfolio looks like. I myself have diversified fund holdings so that I'm not exposed to any counterparty to a degree that I'm not happy with.

Given the OP's question was about whether to be worried about DB or State Street being trustees of the ETFs. My answer was that they should not be any more concerned about those particular trustees or the custodian than any of the other big financial institutions. Yes, if any of those trustees failed it would take quite a while to get your money back. If the custodian (JPM) failed it would be a more severe shock to the global financial system than that caused by Lehman Brothers and I don't know how long it would take to get your money back.

If any of this makes you uncomfortable then I'd think twice about investing in any ETFs at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure