Competition Scams - Please Post Them Here

Comments

• Hi all,

I got an e-mail a few days ago from 'PREasyJet' telling me that I had won two return EasyJet flights to Helsinki. They attached a booking form which I had to send before the end of December. The title of the e-mail was 'TimeOut Winners' which had me fooled for a while although I couldn't remember entering the competition. The dates on the e-mail also didn't match up so I e-mailed back to say it didn't make sense with no response. I only became suspicious when I had a proper look at the form and it asked for my passport number, address, date of birth etc. I have e-mailed TimeOut to ask them if they were aware of the scam but have not heard back. It is a bit scarey to think that a company as big as TimeOut could sell on your details to people like that. Unless of course it is legit. Either way it has kind of put me off comping a bit.... _pale_

The prize is from this comp of rrickyuk's that you entered-
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1239281&highlight=helsinki+timeout
    :T
    Thanks to everyone who posts comps, I love winning prizes big and small
    :A:A:A:A:A:A:A:A
  • Really?! You reckon it is legit?? I haven't heard back from either TimeOut or Easyjet. I am sure when you book flights with Easyjet you don't have to give them your passport number. I will give them a ring tomorrow to find out.

Thanks Poodledoodledoo.
  • as far as i am aware these days you do need your passport details for easy jet flights....
  • I see this cruise scam is having a bit of a resurgence - can everyone who's had a call from these people please add themselves to the blog:
    http://www.digitaltoast.co.uk/free-imperial-majesty-nassau-cruise

I won't abuse your email address, it stays private, but I'm going to have another go at Watchdog soon, and it would help to have a few more on the list.

Thanks!

i get this phone call and similar ones at least a few times a week, well does my head in!!!:mad:
  • i get this phone call and similar ones at least a few times a week, well does my head in!!!:mad:
    Thanks! And don't forget to add to the blog - even if it's just what you wrote above, you don't have to register or anything. It's a "weight of numbers" issue.

If I have another bash at Watchdog and they now see 150 complainants, they might take another look :)
  • Thought i'd got 1st win, but on looking closer says have won a voucher worth £525 for paintball on a day out for upto 35 people. It then goes onto say you pay £10 per person on booking but it will be redeemed in the form of your 1st 100 paintballs, but a days play normally uses about 500. Plus theres a £1 admin fee per person. So looks like the day would cost £51 per person. So doesn't look such a good prize. Is this just another scam to get you there. Has anyone else had a letter from them.:confused: What do you think?:confused:
    1st Win, James Blunt c.d :T Peroni bottle opener:j Lipgloss,Cadburys Chocolate and Fairy dishwasher tablets.:rotfl: Skate shoes:beer:
  • princess
    princess Posts: 278 Forumite
    yeah I had the paintball letter today. Mine went in the bin, it seems like a scam to me.
  • Really?! You reckon it is legit?? I haven't heard back from either TimeOut or Easyjet. I am sure when you book flights with Easyjet you don't have to give them your passport number. I will give them a ring tomorrow to find out.

I'd call and double check but i fly pretty regualrly with ryanair and easy jet and im sure you have to have your passport number. I recently won flights with Lufthansa and i have to book through a special telephone hotline so maybe you;ll be able to book over the phone too? Congratulations if you have won! :beer:
    It Will Be Mine in 2009 - Member 1001. *[STRIKE]Holiday/Acomodation[/STRIKE]*Shoes or Handbag*Vouchers*
    Please ask me if I'm getting my moneys worth from the gym!
  • I had the paintball voucher through today as well. Mine's going in the bin beacuse it doesn't feel quite right to me
    An uneffected guitar sounds like a little girl crying. An uneffected bass sounds like an angry Rhino!
  • Hi All,

Thanks for all your advice, got an e-mail from TimeOut today confirming that I did win the flights and it was not junk e-mail! I guess sometimes you can be a little over cautious! :beer:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback