german e bay

I saw a listing for an item that was in germany and listed on e bay uk, it had best offer, so i made an offer of around 10% lower than asking price

the seller made a counter offer that was around 5% lower than the original asking price saying that was the best price he could sell it for on UK ebay, he then said if i bought the item from his german e bay page the best offer price would be around 12% below the original asking price on e bay uk

why can he sell cheaper via the german site ?

Comments

• RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,009
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    force_ten wrote: »

why can he sell cheaper via the german site ?
    I'm guessing but there could be any number of reasons. The exchange may be different. So if he lists in the UK he has to list on a fixed Pound sterling price that will fluctuate to him against the Euro. If he lists on the German site then the sale price to him stays the same.

Another thought is that if he sells a lot on the German Ebay he may get fee discounts that he doesn't get on the UK site.

There are other possibles around VAT, etc.

I sell a fair bit on Amazon in Germany and do get a varying return from German sales that I don't get from the UK due to currency changes.
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    RFW wrote: »
    Another thought is that if he sells a lot on the German Ebay he may get fee discounts that he doesn't get on the UK site.

I have just thought that myself, if he had a final value fee offer on his home e bay page that he didnt get on the Uk page

it was bit daunting buying on a foreign language e bay page, i have a very limited ability to speak german but near zero ability to read german
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure