m3 to Kwh conversion factor.....Eon

Phlik
Phlik Posts: 1,088 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Just this last month changed over to Eon for dual fuel, Energyonline extra saver 5.

As I'm slightly sad I decided to take meter readings each morning for the next few weeks, monitor my usage and set up a spreadsheet to calculate my bills (told you I was sad :o )

Just phoned Eon to find out the conversion factor for m3 to Kwh to calculate the gas bill, apparently its as follows

(((Reading x 2.8) x1.02264) x 38.9)/3.6

For an average use per day of 4.6 m3 of gas this gives a quarterly bill larger than some countries national debt :eek: (I'm exagerating slightly, but it is bloody huge :D )

Does anybody know what Eon's actual conversion factor is, not sure I can stand the excitement of phoning them again.

Phlik

Comments

• squiggles
    squiggles Posts: 1,635 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Im not an eon customer but i use this site to estimate my gas bills :)

http://energylinx.co.uk/gas_meter_conversion.html
  • Phlik
    Phlik Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You're a star, have a thanks :D

It was the 2.8 that was throwing it out, you need that in for converting from ft3 to Kwh.

Phlik
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Fairly accurate conversion of m3 to kWh: multiply m3 by 11.

Rough conversion: multiply by 10.

Don't worry about calorific correction figures, they vary by fractions of a decimal point.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thats exactly what i do, multiply by 11, simple.
  • mprice1988
    mprice1988 Posts: 242 Forumite
    At Scottish and southern we calculate our gas as follows

Reading x 1.02264 x 2.83 x 39 / 3.6 = kwh used
  • SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,333 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    mprice1988 wrote: »
    At Scottish and southern we calculate our gas as follows

Reading x 1.02264 x 2.83 x 39 / 3.6 = kwh used

Only if you are converting from hundreds of cubic feet, If you are converting from cubic meters leave out the 2.83 (as mentioned above).

And in case someone gets the wrong idea, don't just use your reading, use the difference between your current reading and the last one.

[Sorry, one of those days when everything needs to be explained]
  • The conversion equation you quoted is correct. You have to be careful with the units though. You HAVE to enter the reading in hft3(hecto cubic ft or 100xft3). Most older gas meters (including mine) read in cubic feet (ft3) but the last two digits (usually in read) are ignored in the meter readings. Thus the meter readings read and quoted by the companies are in 100xft3 and NOT in ft3. I think that is where your frightening paradox lies.
    If you really want to know more about the gas conversion equation:
    1 hft3 = 100 ft3= 2.8317 m3 this explains the first factor.
    1.02264 is a "bodge factor" to correct from the nominal (assumed by the company gas temperature and pressure from the "standard values" of 15 °C and 1013 mBar assumed in the calculation of the calorific value
    39.3 is the currently quoted "calorific value of gas" by Eon.This converts from M3 to MJ /m3 (MJ stands for Mega Joule, 1 joule = 1 Ws -watt second). Typical values of "calorific value" of natural gas range from 37.5 - 43 MJ/m3 depending on how rich it is on heat generating hydrocarbons (Methane etc.).
    Finally the 3.6 divider is supposed to convert from seconds to hours required for the final kWh figure (1h = 3600 s ; the 1000 factor together with another 1000 factor for the kW is cancelled by the mega = 1000000 factor in the calorific value).
    I hope that this is all clear to you but if you have any more questions just shout !;)
    Phlik wrote: »
    Just this last month changed over to Eon for dual fuel, Energyonline extra saver 5.

As I'm slightly sad I decided to take meter readings each morning for the next few weeks, monitor my usage and set up a spreadsheet to calculate my bills (told you I was sad :o )

Just phoned Eon to find out the conversion factor for m3 to Kwh to calculate the gas bill, apparently its as follows

(((Reading x 2.8) x1.02264) x 38.9)/3.6

For an average use per day of 4.6 m3 of gas this gives a quarterly bill larger than some countries national debt :eek: (I'm exagerating slightly, but it is bloody huge :D )

Does anybody know what Eon's actual conversion factor is, not sure I can stand the excitement of phoning them again.

Phlik
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    basilp wrote: »
    I hope that this is all clear to you but if you have any more questions just shout !;)

They will have to shout very loudly - that thread was over two years old :D:D
  • But still very relevant today - I called NPower and they couldnt tell me a conversion rate!
  • I was in a flat last year and had a meter that used about 4 units/day and this cost approximately £35/month (so i hope you're in a similar flat!). I just moved into a new, smaller flat and was delighted when my meter only clocked about 0.8 units a day but, somehow, this also costs £35/month!

I'm really confused about this... someone help!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure