Bank Card Readers - all the same?

I've amassed quite a collection of these bank card readers but have only just discovered today that you can use some (or is it all?) bank cards in any reader.

Thought it might be useful info to anyone else like me who has lost a reader or just doesn't want to be messing around with lots of them.

Comments

• Interesting.

I have a Barclays one. THought I'd try other cards in it:

First Direct: Fine
    Lloyds: Fine
    Halifax: Fine
    Santander: "This Card is Not Valid".

Intelligent reader wouldn't you say?
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,515
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Interesting.

Latest JD Power survey - Santander bottom of class for service for 3rd year running. Card reader must be wise to it!
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • IMHO, the card readers may be a bit more subtle than that.

although the technology is shared by several of the banks (for instance a Natwest card is recognised by a Nationwide labelled reader) try authorising a transaction with the "wrong" reader.

or if you want a worry, google "optimised to fail" and read the (2meg) academic paper.
  • Sceptic001
    Sceptic001 Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    Interesting.

Which Santander accounts use a card reader? I have never required one for a Santander current or savings account.
  • Amba_Gambla
    Amba_Gambla Posts: 12,107
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Gah, these things are horrible. If my bank ever send me one, I'm closing the account and moving elsewhere
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    A very efficient extra security device.

Nat West, Tesco and Nationwide are interchangeable. Of course when putting another card in you need the appropriate PIN......
  • I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,436
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I have a Co Op card reader.

I thought they were personal to you as you have to put your PIN number in and didn't think your PIN was stored on your card.
  • I_luv_cats wrote: »
    I have a Co Op card reader.

I thought they were personal to you as you have to put your PIN number in and didn't think your PIN was stored on your card.

It has to be, because when you insert the card into a shop reader, only over a certain amount does it electronically go to the main computer for authorisation.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    although the technology is shared by several of the banks (for instance a Natwest card is recognised by a Nationwide labelled reader) try authorising a transaction with the "wrong" reader.
    It's not a problem authorising a Co-op payment with a Nationwide reader (or, indeed, authorising a Nationwide payment with someone else's NW reader).
  • asc99c
    asc99c Posts: 134 Forumite
    It has to be, because when you insert the card into a shop reader, only over a certain amount does it electronically go to the main computer for authorisation.

Also, when you enter your PIN, it is validated or rejected immediately, while the rest of the transaction tends to take a lot longer as it goes off to the bank.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure