How long should a boiler last - consumer Law?

Comments

• I have nt got central heating at all but I am considering fitting one this year. Is it possible to still buy one of the old style units new, not a modern one, but one which has a pilot light and no, or little electronic circuit boards in it
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    sacsquacco wrote: »
    I have nt got central heating at all but I am considering fitting one this year. Is it possible to still buy one of the old style units new, not a modern one, but one which has a pilot light and no, or little electronic circuit boards in it

in a word no
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • diywhynot
    diywhynot Posts: 742 Forumite
    I have nt got central heating at all but I am considering fitting one this year. Is it possible to still buy one of the old style units new, not a modern one, but one which has a pilot light and no, or little electronic circuit boards in it

New, no. Fleabay special, yes.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My Glow Worm spacesaver 50 is now on its 32nd year of stirling service. Modern boilers are mostly junk.

When i had the boiler changed in my last house the one that went out was about 30yrs old. The engineer told me i'd find the new one much more efficient and would save me money.
    Maybe yes it was more efficient, but are they really saving you any money when you're going to have it replaced in 7/8yrs time.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post

I think if you are fitting one that it will have be a condensing boiler which rules out ones that are 100 years old.
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    edited 23 March 2013 at 1:52PM
    My Glow Worm spacesaver 50 is now on its 32nd year of stirling service. Modern boilers are mostly junk.

My GlowWorm is up to 25 years so far.

It had a thermocouple replaced a few years ago and the fan cleaned a few weeks ago.

It wasn't deemed inefficient enough to qualify for the 'Scrappage Scheme' when that was (c)on. It's an 'F' iirc.

Typically, a replacement boiler including labour etc will come to £1800.

A new boiler won't save that amount during its expected life (which seems to be under 10 years lol).

The economics don't work. My gas and electricity for a 3 bed detached 25-year old house is approx £1250 per year, of which gas is usually about half.

A new boiler isn't going to reduce my gas bill by anything like 50%, so it won't be replaced until it dies.

I've got a Boilermate system (hot water on 24/7 with a pressurised hot water cylinder) that give me hot water at mains pressure and flow. I can't imagine wanting an on-demand hot water dribbler any time soon.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • By the sound of it getting 10 years out of these new unreliable boxes will be the exception, i have heard horror stories about one make ( by Potterton ) on BBC Watchdog where it was constantly breaking down needing new circuit boards. I will probably be getting the most reliable brand possible, Valient or Worcester I have heard on here are one of the best
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I will probably be getting the most reliable brand possible, Valient or Worcester I have heard on here are one of the best

I got an Ariston last year with a 5yr guarantee, but even 5yrs isn't a long time compared to the old ones.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    This subject has been covered many times, and correctly IMO the concensus is always the same - don't change a boiler until it really cannot be repaired.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2930080&highlight=telegraph
  • Road_Hog
    Road_Hog Posts: 2,749 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post

Yes, they are still available. You wouldn't buy one through one of the normal central heating companies that would come and fit it.

However, they are still available and imported into the country and you can purchase them. The problem is, that no Corgi person should fit it, as they by law should be the new condenser type.

But, if you're fitting it yourself, that isn't a problem. I looked into this last year, as I don't intend to replace my boiler with a condenser unit, as they're expensive and don't last very long. From memory, the booilers are Italian and from about £400.

Just do a Google on it and you find DIY/gas fitter forums where people have already discussed it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure