Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > EE's 4g price plans released (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
EE's 4g price plans released
Closed Thread
Views: 3,634
# 21
MillicentBystander
Old 23-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Maybe I'm missing summat here but why would anyone be in the slightest bit interested at these prices??
# 22
Rusty!
Old 23-10-2012, 1:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Because people like to have the bestest.
# 23
Kingsd316
Old 23-10-2012, 1:10 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony5101 View Post
According to their site, you must be in the first 6 months of your plan with either Tmob or Orange, and you must hand your handset back.
You then start a new 24 month contract with EE.

Isnt this for people with a non 4g phone?

I always thought the actually phone you get with a contract is not part of the service agreement, therefore T Mobile/Orange are allowing you to terminate the service contract and move to a new one on EE, therefore i would already have a 4g ready phone and only need a service plan.

As i said im sure this isnt allowed as its an easy way to get an iphone 5 and a reduced contract term
# 24
keke74
Old 23-10-2012, 1:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

EE really have missed a trick here. Staggers me that they don't offer any unlimited data plans for what is the UK's first 4g data network! Even a data cap + unlimited 3g (or a "if you go over you can still surf and email" ala T Mobile) would have helped.

Their sim only plans are OK I guess. Either way think the sensible option is to wait a bit,you can guarantee that EE will be offering discounted plans a month or so before the other networks launch next year.
# 25
GooliesOfFire
Old 23-10-2012, 1:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I don't think they have missed the trick. Their trick is to milk people while there is no competition
Freeview HD / T-Mobile Full Monty (which is like installments for Galaxy S4 really) / Co-Op Energy Fixed July 2015 (gas/elec) / Virgin Media 20Mb/s Cable Broadband only (£4 discount)/ Anglian Water (no meter).
# 26
diamonds
Old 23-10-2012, 1:29 PM

For all the fanfare EE offer nothing but a speed upgrade...

*If you run out of data you wont be able to use the internet and you'll need to buy a data add on to use the internet until "you" next bill date*

YOUR ! Ze French CEO need learn english.

Now unlimited calls & texts with capped internet is good, but why not post these data add on details EE ?

Why not allow unlimited MMS aswell as texts like all providers do in AU on unlimited plans, really offering the UK something NEW with more than just a "4G"speed upgrade.
INSTANT RELIEF >>> ¬

Last edited by diamonds; 23-10-2012 at 1:33 PM.
# 27
MillicentBystander
Old 23-10-2012, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keke74 View Post
EE really have missed a trick here. Staggers me that they don't offer any unlimited data plans for what is the UK's first 4g data network! Even a data cap + unlimited 3g (or a "if you go over you can still surf and email" ala T Mobile) would have helped.

Their sim only plans are OK I guess. Either way think the sensible option is to wait a bit,you can guarantee that EE will be offering discounted plans a month or so before the other networks launch next year.

What's even more laughable is they are offering unlimited calls and texts but relating the real USP of 4g, just 8gb/mth data at most. Hilarious.

Last edited by MillicentBystander; 23-10-2012 at 1:32 PM.
# 28
keke74
Old 23-10-2012, 1:32 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Totally, I get that :-)

Problem is that I think they have missed an opportunity to get a real lead on the other networks before they launch. With more appealing plans they would have tied up more on 12/18/24 month contracts and then been able to discount further next year when there's more competition.

As it is now they've gone for the premium take-it-or-leave-it option which offers little to the consumer and will hurt EE in the mid-long term.
# 29
MillicentBystander
Old 23-10-2012, 1:40 PM

Imo they would have been better offering a 'sensible' calls/texts package of, say, 300 mins and 1,000 texts and then unlimited data. Surely that's what 4g is supposed to be all about?? Seriously, how many people really need unlimited calls? I got my son a 3G SIM only deal with Virgin (30 day contract) for £17/mth that includes

1200 mins
unlimited texts
truly unlimited data (and unlimited tethering allowed).

Last edited by MillicentBystander; 23-10-2012 at 1:44 PM.
# 30
diamonds
Old 23-10-2012, 1:41 PM

You’ll need a 4G ready phone that’s compatible with our 4G network. By compatible, we mean it’s a 4G phone that you’ve bought either directly from Orange or T-Mobile. Or on those networks through an indirect retailer. The exception is an iPhone 5. Any iPhone 5 bought from Apple, Carphone Warehouse or Phones4U in the UK can also get 4GEE.

NO NASTY SURPRISES

With unlimited calls and texts, you'll never need to worry about going over your allowance. And if you manage to burn through your data, we'll let you know when it's running low — and when it's run out. Then you can choose to buy a data add-on or stop using data until your next bill.

TRAVELLING A LOT?

For an extra £5 each month, you’ll be able to take all your minutes and texts with you when you go and explore Europe and selected countries around the world. (You can see which ones are included at ee.co.uk.) Just choose one of our 4GEE phone plans with roaming.

SWAP YOUR PHONE FOR A 4G VERSION. JUST £99

Want 4GEE? But just got a new Apple iPhone 4S, Samsung Galaxy SIII or HTC 1X that's not 4G ready on a plan from either Orange or T-Mobile? No problem. We'll be able to swap you to a 4G version of your phone, and move you to a superfast 4GEE phone plan. All for just £99.
INSTANT RELIEF >>> ¬
# 31
diamonds
Old 23-10-2012, 2:08 PM

Looks like Vodafone £3 a day high roaming customers will be jumping to EE though...
INSTANT RELIEF >>> ¬
# 32
mumbles87
Old 23-10-2012, 3:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony5101 View Post
According to their site, you must be in the first 6 months of your plan with either Tmob or Orange, and you must hand your handset back.
You then start a new 24 month contract with EE.
the way it reads is thats if you just got say a new nokia or another phone.. however as im 1 month into an iphone 5 contract i want to know where i stand

the sim only plans have good amounts of data on the line.... however am i classed as sim only.. or am i classed as another one... i will only switch if im classed as the one thats £36 pm and gets me 5gb of data.

Its not like i need a new phone (like i would if i was in the first 6 months of a new contract with a non 4g phone) and its not like I need to pay the cost again as i have already paid it
# 33
diamonds
Old 23-10-2012, 3:52 PM

Local Orange store staff think they are crap....
INSTANT RELIEF >>> ¬
# 34
jayme1
Old 23-10-2012, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillicentBystander View Post
truly unlimited data (and unlimited tethering allowed).
Whereas that would be nice truly unlimited data is mostly unsustainable even for LTE, I think there are better solutions that prevent the possible abuse of an unlimited plan but give the user freedom such as:
my personal favourite and the solution I would want it is to give a 'practically unlimited' limit, something like 60GB (able to use however you want), that's more than plenty for everyone but stops the select few people downloading hundreds of gigabytes.

2nd solutions is like T-Mobile do now, you have a limit (1GB on T-Mobile but I would expect 5 or 10GB as an absolute minimum on LTE) then if you reach that limit it cuts you off from high intensity downloads eg iPlayer ect. but you are still fully able to surf the internet and send email no problem.

A third possible solution is to have a limit (again 5-10GB as a minimum) but then have the limit not count (or a high off-peak limit something like 60GB) at certain times and in areas where network saturation is low, ie everywhere at night time and all the time in rural areas where they may be only a couple of villages using a mast.

You can always have extra add-ons for the few who need more data, in exactly the same way as EE is having but £20 should buy 20GB not 4, there certainly shouldn't be any overcharges it should either cut you off from data until you buy an add-on or cut you off from data intensive downloads (as per 2nd solution).

All solutions should always include tethering within any limits, I've said before 1GB of data downloaded from a phone or PC is the same, give people a limit and let them use it however they see fit, at worst case for the networks all they would have is people buying more data add-ons.
# 35
mumbles87
Old 24-10-2012, 9:25 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I have just spoke to t mobile, my contract is 36pm fully monty so id go onto the £36 pm contract with 500mb net or have to pay more for more net etc

no need to return handset if its iphone 5 or 4g ready etc

hope this clears anyone elses query if they had the same as mine
The Following User Says Thank You to mumbles87 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 36
Kingsd316
Old 24-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbles87 View Post
I have just spoke to t mobile, my contract is 36pm fully monty so id go onto the £36 pm contract with 500mb net or have to pay more for more net etc

If this is the case, then as the dragons would say "I'm Out"
# 37
MillicentBystander
Old 24-10-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbles87 View Post

Tell me about it - here are your options:

50MB for £3
500MB for £6
2GB for £15
4GB for £20

Stupid.
# 38
mumbles87
Old 24-10-2012, 12:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsd316 View Post
If this is the case, then as the dragons would say "I'm Out"
completely agree! I will not be moving. Unless they suddenly have a rethink and offer me 5gb say for 36pm

that would be a reasonable amount of data for the price IMO but i think its because they are offering unlimited calls and txts they just want to stick you with the data

that said i have found 3g pretty good over recent years. I use my ipad to tether my mac on the go and it seems pretty fast

I have BT infi at home.. and it doesnt seem that much faster sometimes!!

has anyone else tho today found ee signal fine as in its there but txts etc not sending? i wonder if they are testing the 4g and its mucking around with the network...
Closed Thread