Splott, Cardiff

Comments

• SHIPSHAPE
    SHIPSHAPE Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    bethdurk wrote: »
    Hey I'm about to move to splott from cathays. I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me if there are any good pubs/ restaurants in the area ??

There is only one pub left in Splott, The Cottage.

However, there's a few social/rugby clubs.

Restaurants? The closest you will get to one in Splott is a greasy spoon and a couple of chippys on Splott Road.

Don't try and impress a lady with a night out in Splott.
  • SHIPSHAPE
    SHIPSHAPE Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    Trouble with Splott is that it neighbours Tremorfa, the biggest sh!thole in Cardiff. Then there is Adamsdown & Broadway, hardly places you would send someone a 'Wish You Were Here' card.

However OP, as you are from Newport it could well be a step up!
  • hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Is anyone familiar with Splott in Cardiff (or it's reputation)?

I'm looking at potentially moving to Cardiff, and know what certain areas are like... but not particularly this one!

I'm gathering that it had a bad reputation but may be "semi-gentrified" as one comment suggested - any thoughts?

The posh people call it Sploe!:T
  • mildredalien
    mildredalien Posts: 1,057 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Just putting in another vote for Roath or Canton. I don't know Canton quite as well but I've heard to stay north of Cowbridge road east.

I'd stay out of Cathays - that's where most of the nasty student places are - but some areas of Roath are pretty nice and quiet with a mix of students, professionals and young families. I found the little area in between Newport Road, City Road and Albany Road good if you can find somewhere towards the middle and not right next to City Road. Moving out towards Roath park is also good although probably more expensive, and further up the roads off Whitchurch road are pretty nice and quiet.
    Savings target: £25000/£25000
    :beer: :T

• I can only repeat what others have said, Splott should be taken on a street-by-street basis. I grew up in Pentwyn, my family are from Splott and we used to go to church in Grangetown, lol. I now live in Atlantic Wharf which is fairly reasonably priced but is high demand so if properties come up in the area for rent they seem to go very quickly. Might be worth keeping an eye on right move though, just in case.
  • I would like to say that tremorfa is no worse than splott. I have lived in tremorfa for 25 years, went to school here etc, and know from personal experience that a lot of the youths that cause trouble here are not actually from tremorfa. Most of the streets in splott north of splott road from railway street back to moorland road are fine, but as a lot of others have said, you get good and bad everywhere! Both areas have definitely quitened down in the past 5 years or so

also the Clifton street area is actually classed as adamsdown, not splott :)
  • I have read all the post and have to say that I live in Tremorfa. It is very small, so small that on our council tax bill or ward is Splott!! I hate Tremorfa and I hate Splott! I lived in Splott for 3 years and the I've been in Tremorfa for 10 years! Only moved over this side of Cardiff becuase I could not afford anywhere else!! STAY CLEAR OF BOTH AREAS it is a living hell! I keep myself to myself. I have to, I have travellers as next door neighbors!! I lived in LLanrumney for the first part of my life, it was not too bad, even though it has a reputation. Better than tremorfa! But if I could choose anywhere I would say, Penylan, off Colchester ave or around Roath Rec ground. Cathays is foul!, Riverside is worse.............Plasnewydd (City Rd) is growing with eastern european groups, which could be fine, but there are some that are letting the rest down! Adamsdown is probably the worse area in Cardiff and if you moved to Splott, you will be right next door to it! And as for the bay, highly overpriced! Full of young professionals that think they are better than the rest! Remember in the 80's there were snobs, well this is evolution for you - Cardiff Bay.
  • Really, avoid it.

Not to say that there aren't some nice properties individually, but as an area it is not somewhere you would want to walk alone at night, generally speaking.

Not sure if you are buying or renting, but either way you would be better off in Roath (north of Albany Road), or Pontcanna if you can afford it.

Llandaff North is more of an up and coming neighbourhood: 'semi-gentrified' as you describe. It will be a long long time, I'm afraid, before Splott could be considered gentrified.

If you don't mind being a bit further out of town then Whitchurch and Llanishen could also be good options for you.

If you are buying, it will take a lot longer for property values to recover in poorer areas of the city than it will in more popular areas. Avoid Ely, Fairwater and Riverside also.
  • Have lived in Cardiff all my life & lived in a few different areas of Cardiff.

Whitchurch is lovely. Rhiwbina also very nice but prices go up in this area. Both of these areas still have active 'village centres' with loads of shops/nice pubs etc plus good schools & good transport links as buses are regular, trains go in to city centre, I actually used to walk in to the city centre when I lived in Whitchurch, both areas also close to the M4.

Penylan is also very nice & a lot of housing developments going on along Colchester Avenue at the moment. I know some of the primary schools in proximity are fairly good. Not too sure which high schools cover the area though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure