£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Comments

• Bobarella wrote: »
    I had two very quiet weeks in April. It is scary when the lines go dead so to speak.

Are there any new platforms you could add your services to? I have just canned one completely but one of mine is a real life line, guaranteed enquiry per day usually. Do you look on local forums for work? Could you put some flyers up somewhere useful? I dont know what is relevant for your world so forgive the random dump of suggestions :)
    Thanks for the random brain dump :) . I possibly could advertise elsewhere. I could certainly be doing more social media on both businesses which would up my income level. I am actually more struggling with making the time to do these things at the moment than I am with ideas for ways to make money, if you know what I mean.

Time really is my number one commodity actually - I know I have earning potential, it's making the time to do the earning that's the permanent problem. We are away for the next two weekends, then it's half term, which is making me slightly stressed - even less time than usual to keep on top of everything. I am just a bit knackered at the moment - my day yesterday was not at all atypical, and it just feels like we are living at 1,000 miles an hour without really going anywhere at the moment.

To be honest, I do often feel like just jacking in the hard work juggling everything and repaying debts for another five months until DC3 is at preschool, and just living off some of the acres of credit we have available to us still (I have an unused credit card with a £9k limit, and there is about £15k of space left on the two cards that have balances on them), and then going for a DMP at that stage. I know we won't actually do it, and it would be totally irresponsible and not in line with our (hanging onto them by a thread) financial principles, and would totally screw any chance of a decent mortgage rate when our fixed term expires in November, but some days it really is rather tempting sometimes. I know that having this diary and feeling somewhat accountable to all of you lot helps stamp on those temptations too, so thank you all for reading along.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Hi TOP. I think you've said before that you prefer not to schedule social media posts in advance, but is that something you could look at doing just for the next couple of weeks while you are so busy? It might be easier to find an hour to get this done for several days than trying to find 20 minutes here and there.

I too feel the stress when social engagements sneak up on me. We've had two weekends away from home and although productive in their own ways, I am feeling really behind on my course work. I want to get this qualification done (realistically will be 18 months at least) because it will ultimately lead to a higher salary, but with my sparkly new MSE attitude I can't use my credit cards on convenience foods etc to compensate for my lack of time. I'm in absolute awe of how much you are juggling and giving myself a bit of a kick up the bum as a result.
  • dktreesea
    dktreesea Posts: 5,736 Forumite
    Here you go :)

Don't try it just before bed in case you dream you signed a contract to buy a cappuccino every day and it was charging you compound interest... :D

What an interesting tool! My cappuccinos only cost 80p, but still, by the time the non essentials added up - there were only 8 things on the list! - they came to two thirds of my income. :eek:
  • TOPM, I also sell my time (I'm a content marketing strategist) and my only suggestions are:

Charge more! Don't know if this is relevant in your job, but I hit a wall last year and decided that instead of bringing in more work, I was going to bring in better paid work. So I'm slowly increasing my hourly rate and letting go of the lower paid clients I took on when I was starting. That's possible in most fields, it's just a matter of getting laser-targeted and going after the higher end.

Outsource the social media and any admin you can: there are people in my field who work pretty cheaply, and if it's fairly simple social media (scheduling posts, responding to comments, checking for spam) rather than in depth content development, it might be worth your while to free up that time for the actual work - and when you're not as rushed, you can go after the higher paying niche.

But also, if you are feeling burned out: there's a middle ground between working-every-hour-of-the-day to pay down debt, and not earning at all and ramping up the debt. What do you need to make to just jog along until DC3is in pre school? Would just earning that much work for you? And lastly (sorry for all the advice when you didn't even ask for it) I think you sound so busy and so stressed that I genuinely don't understand why you are doing things like ironing your husband's shirts. I wasn't joking about that before.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • Hi TOP. I think you've said before that you prefer not to schedule social media posts in advance, but is that something you could look at doing just for the next couple of weeks while you are so busy? It might be easier to find an hour to get this done for several days than trying to find 20 minutes here and there.

I too feel the stress when social engagements sneak up on me. We've had two weekends away from home and although productive in their own ways, I am feeling really behind on my course work. I want to get this qualification done (realistically will be 18 months at least) because it will ultimately lead to a higher salary, but with my sparkly new MSE attitude I can't use my credit cards on convenience foods etc to compensate for my lack of time. I'm in absolute awe of how much you are juggling and giving myself a bit of a kick up the bum as a result.
    Convenience foods and other 'lazy' options are one of the things I miss most about pretending we had money! So hard to get through a hard day without giving into the easy options, or rewarding myself with a nice coffee in a cafe. Good idea to try to bulk schedule at least a few posts - even if I only managed to schedule a couple a week for each business it would be a start.
    TOPM, I also sell my time (I'm a content marketing strategist) and my only suggestions are:

Charge more! Don't know if this is relevant in your job, but I hit a wall last year and decided that instead of bringing in more work, I was going to bring in better paid work. So I'm slowly increasing my hourly rate and letting go of the lower paid clients I took on when I was starting. That's possible in most fields, it's just a matter of getting laser-targeted and going after the higher end.

Outsource the social media and any admin you can: there are people in my field who work pretty cheaply, and if it's fairly simple social media (scheduling posts, responding to comments, checking for spam) rather than in depth content development, it might be worth your while to free up that time for the actual work - and when you're not as rushed, you can go after the higher paying niche.

But also, if you are feeling burned out: there's a middle ground between working-every-hour-of-the-day to pay down debt, and not earning at all and ramping up the debt. What do you need to make to just jog along until DC3is in pre school? Would just earning that much work for you? And lastly (sorry for all the advice when you didn't even ask for it) I think you sound so busy and so stressed that I genuinely don't understand why you are doing things like ironing your husband's shirts. I wasn't joking about that before.
    Charging more is an interesting one - I have recently put up my prices a little bit, and I'm comfortable with where they are now, but at least the increase should help a little. I am expensive for what I do anyway (I'm good at it!) and I think there's a limit to what I can reasonably charge. It's interesting to think about it in terms of what is paying me a good hourly rate though - which business, which tasks for each business etc.

Poor DH and his shirts :D . He is just as busy as me - he takes over childcare immediately after dinner (we all sit down together as soon as he gets home) and once he's got all the DCs in bed he starts on the usual washing up/laundry type chores, and he does solo childcare on the weekends when I work. He works at least as hard as I do, he's just absolutely rubbish at ironing :rotfl: .
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Week 14: Day 4

Another rainy day here! It held off for an hour yesterday, so I was able to get more gravel laid in front of the house - it is looking so much smarter, I'm really pleased with how it's shaping up. Weather forecast is grim today but I'm hoping to get the pots done tomorrow and the last of the gravel laid. Need to demolish an enormous hydrangea bush first though :eek: .

Wednesday is a 'quiet' day round here - no preschool for DC3 so I only attempt to work during nap time, the rest of the day is spent with her, and no clubs this evening so DH puts them to bed while I work. Hoping to get some of the little jobs off my list today.

Phew, my last refund from my minor shopping binge last month came through yesterday, so my budgets balance again, even if the figures are a bit pathetic!

Today's list is very very similar to yesterday's - I was knackered (mentally rather than physically) and did very little, apart from laying gravel!

to do today:
    1. Ask MIL if she will step in and help out with a one day childcare gap I am trying to resolve (still haven't done this!).
    2. Go through calendar for next couple of months and check we haven't inadvertently booked weekends away on ones when I'm pencilled in to work - I have a vague feeling we've done this so need to rejig my working days if necessary.
    3. clear the remaining ironing.
    4. make sourdough
    5. get DH to submit meter readings, check into online accounts for utilities and check everything is as it should be.
    6. bake some flatbreads.
    7. get a laundry hung out on airers - we have a big backlog and it's forecast to rain for the rest of the week!
    8. catch up on order packing for the smaller business.
    9. top up shop - have managed to avoid doing a full shop for 10 days now, and we're away from Saturday morning to Sunday night, so I'm planning one last top up shop today to get us through until big shop next Monday. We've had some random meals, but I think we've only spent £60 on food in 11 days, so it's been worthwhile. Aiming for get food shop in under £25.

to do this week:
    1. lose another 0.5kg.
    2. Make my work time more focused - I was very inefficient last week.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Its pooring down here as well. Since around 5 I think.

I was offline most of yesterday, and then doing the rounds on social to discover Fishfingergate. It makes you realise how social can be a double edged sword. Mind you I also noticed one of the main 'slummies' had been boosted by around 4k in new followers so far. Not so bad after all :) Thats what you need to do. Get in there posting about hating ironing!
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Bobarella wrote: »
    Thats what you need to do. Get in there posting about hating ironing!

I'd join that group! :rotfl:
  • Week 14: Day 5

ACTUAL SUNSHINE outside. My poor laundry bin is more or less collapsing under the strain - drying indoors when it's too warm to have the radiator on is a complete pain. Also hoping to get some of the plants I bought for our front-of-the-house makeover potted up today.

to do today:
    1. Laundry x1,00,000
    2. Ask MIL if she will step in and help out with a one day childcare gap I am trying to resolve (still haven't done this!).
    3. Clear the remaining ironing. just in time for all the laundry to come in and replace it :eek: .
    4. Catch up on order packing for the smaller business.
    5. Research camping weekend with friends in the summer to find the cheapest/best place.
    6. Pot some plants up for the front garden.
    7. Chop down the hydrangea that is preventing us painting the front of the house.
    8. List that chair on eB@y that I mentioned ages ago but never listed.

to do this week:
    1. lose another 0.5kg.
    2. Make my work time more focused - I was very inefficient last week.
  • Hi - is mil retired or still of working age? I just read something on the book of faces that mentioned people who are looking after grandchildren & of working age may be able to get ni credits to top up their state pension... I can't remember if you mentioned whether they had retired or not & thought it might sweeten the deal slightly if not (not that I'm saying your children aren't sweet enough...:A)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback