dog burps loudly after eating

Comments

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    This sounds like anxiety to me , and it's amazing he is part lab, as all mine were canine dustbins :D
    Think you need a second vet's opinion though x
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    candygirl wrote: »
    This sounds like anxiety to me , and it's amazing he is part lab, as all mine were canine dustbins :D
    Think you need a second vet's opinion though x

It definitely is anxiety. He's half whippet, to balance out the labrador greedy guts!

He'll start trembling the minute I say "do you want your dinner?"

Then sit salivating, staring at his food, till he gets up and flees looking for somewhere to hide.

It's like he's frightened to eat.

I'm throwing his food out constantly and it drives me mad.:(
  • Helen2k8
    Helen2k8 Posts: 361 Forumite
    If a vet said my 9 year old dog wasn't worth the effort, I'd find a new vet. Unless, perhaps, I had a great dane or something similarly huge and short lived.

It sounds to me (disclaimer - not a vet!) like there is or has been some sort of stomach upset that is now either causing physical or psychological issues.
    You say it started at 3 years old, did anything in particular happen? Chewed a bottle of household cleaner, or got a stick stuck in their mouth, or.... some sort of internal injury?

Trying the pets at home raw food sounds worth a go, and I would also change your routine. Don't ask about "dinner", don't mention the D word! Perhaps just say "Time for food" or something instead, put down the bowl of food, and walk away. See what happens then. :)
  • zaksmum
    Helen2k8 wrote: »
    If a vet said my 9 year old dog wasn't worth the effort, I'd find a new vet. Unless, perhaps, I had a great dane or something similarly huge and short lived.

It sounds to me (disclaimer - not a vet!) like there is or has been some sort of stomach upset that is now either causing physical or psychological issues.
    You say it started at 3 years old, did anything in particular happen? Chewed a bottle of household cleaner, or got a stick stuck in their mouth, or.... some sort of internal injury?

Trying the pets at home raw food sounds worth a go, and I would also change your routine. Don't ask about "dinner", don't mention the D word! Perhaps just say "Time for food" or something instead, put down the bowl of food, and walk away. See what happens then. :)

I agree though with the vet that it's not a physical problem, but anxiety. I don't know why he's anxious - he has no need to be.

But if the smoke alarm battery needs changing, and beeps, he's a nervous wreck, shaking and panting, till the noise is stopped.

Not remotely bothered by things like fireworks though.

When he finds food in the street, like an old KFC bone, he'll freeze and stare at me as if to say, "can I eat it?". Of course I tell him to leave it, and he does, but then if someone offers him a bit of their sausage roll, he'll do the same thing, and scoff it only if I say "go on then".

Sometimes he does that with his food, as if needing my permission to eat.

I say "go on then" and he will sometimes start to eat, then change his mind and walk away. Unless it's steak trimmings or bits of chicken!

He's a very much loved dog, but definitely a very complicated one!
  • helcat26
    helcat26 Posts: 1,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Really I hope you sort this.
    But I cannot help it this post cries out for the classic response to" it was the dog farting not me!"
    on that subject dogs always seem to want what I am eating. Could you share food to get him more confident?
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Do you need to take the food away at all?

We feed our dog on demand. He lives on dried food and basically if his bowl is looking empty or nearly empty whoever is passing will wash it out and top it up.

That means there is absolutely no dramas about food and he eats when he wants. Sometimes he eats after his morning walk, sometimes he doesn't eat until tea time. Quite regularly he will eat after we have gone to bed.

It wouldn't work for every dog - particularly where there are concerns about them putting on weight, but it works for us.
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    When you feed him chicken or steak, is it always from your hand? Does he eat the steak if it is in his bowl?

Have you tried tinned food n your hand? Gross, I know.

Perhaps he just doesn't like commercial food? Given that he scoffs real meat he knows that he's hungry and he knows what he likes.
  • zaksmum
    Nebulous2 wrote: »
    Do you need to take the food away at all?

We feed our dog on demand. He lives on dried food and basically if his bowl is looking empty or nearly empty whoever is passing will wash it out and top it up.

That means there is absolutely no dramas about food and he eats when he wants. Sometimes he eats after his morning walk, sometimes he doesn't eat until tea time. Quite regularly he will eat after we have gone to bed.

It wouldn't work for every dog - particularly where there are concerns about them putting on weight, but it works for us.
    The problem with that is, in this weather, the food will sit untouched in his bowl all day, and because there are doors and windows open, flies come in, and go to the food in the bowl.

So then I have to throw the food away. I have known him not to eat anything at all for two whole days, at which point I'm desperate for him to eat ANYTHING at all, so that's where the bits of chicken etc. come in.
  • zaksmum
    Fen1 wrote: »
    When you feed him chicken or steak, is it always from your hand? Does he eat the steak if it is in his bowl?

Have you tried tinned food n your hand? Gross, I know.

Perhaps he just doesn't like commercial food? Given that he scoffs real meat he knows that he's hungry and he knows what he likes.

Yes I have given tinned food as well as kibble from my hand.

He will turn his head away more often than not, and walk away.

Sometimes he'll take the food in his mouth then spit it back out.

The bits of chicken or steak will be wolfed down even from his bowl.

It's only if there's another dog around that he'll eat whatever I give him.
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    If he likes meat, why not feed him meat. He will be happier, and you'll save money by not having to bin tinned food all the time.

There's lots of information out there on meat and raw-feeding. Does he like vegetables? Some dogs go mad for a bit of carrot.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure