The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

can i get this removed from credit report?

hi all, my fiance and i have been tryin to improve our credit reports since a year ago which we have succeeded in doing. in jan of this year my fiances score was at 804 from 570, we were going in to see our mortgage advisor tomorrow to set up an agreement in principal so got his new score today and its dropped to 669. The only thing thats changed is he opened a current account at the end of jan with natwest to be able to get one of their 'customer mortgages' and when everything has been switched over his old barclays account is showing as 7 pound over his 10 pound overdraft limit so it says he is using 170% of credit available to him. Obviously something has not been switched over or has been missed which we didnt realise. Is there any way we can get this taken off his report? I feel its so unfair that we have woked hard to improve it for a year and a mix up for 7 pound has took 130 points off which will take another year to get back up and be able to apply for a mortgage :-(. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Ash1982
    Ash1982 Posts: 189 Forumite
    Danielle,

Dont worry about the points scoring, they are indicative and dont neccessarily reflect how the bank will access your mortage application. Is the Barclays account showing as in default on the credit report? If so, I would go to Barclays and find out why it has gone into the overdraft (is there still a direct debit, standing order or recurring payment set up). If there is still a direct debit set up to Barclays, I would check whether it was shown on the schedule provided by Natwest when they transfered all the direct debits, if it is, I would take this up with Natwest, ask them to contact Barclays to clear the outstanding debt and request that Barclays notifiy the credit agencies to clear any default from the record. Plus I would ask Natwest to compensate you for the distress (say £50).

Ash
  • ScottHeron
    ScottHeron Posts: 42 Forumite
    Hmmmm,

Its a hard one. In principal i don't think you would be able to alter the score. From a technical point of view, your husband using 170% of the credit available to him is correct..

All I would suggest is that you pay off the £17 and wait for a few months for the report to change.

All the best
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Setting aside the "170%" tag for a moment, how is the account being displayed in the history section of the report?...still '0000000...' or '3210000...'.

If the former, I wouldn't worry too much. If the latter, then that's a lot more serious because it says the account has been over it's agreed overdraft limit for up to 3 months.
  • Ash1982
    Agreed, it depends exactly whats on the file 0000 or 3210 but I would also find out why the account has gone overdrawn in the first place and then whether it was a user error (i.e. using the VISA to pay for something or a standing order that wasnt cancelled) or alternatively an error that can be attributed to the transfer (i.e. Natwest didn't transfer all the direct debits that they said they would with the timeline they stipulated).

Just a bit of investigative work!
  • thanks for the replies. Not too sure what its from, going to go into barclays tomorrow to see where the £17 has come from. Just checked his report and the barclays account is showing 0000000 for the past 25+ monthes.
  • Ash1982
    Ok thats good, just go to barclays, find out what it is and just settle it for the sake of £17 and no affect on the report with 000000.

The score you were given would have gone down as switching your current account can negatively affect your credit score (they like the stability of someone being with a bank a long time). If you are getting a mortage with Natwest, who your transfer to though they may not take this into account, after all, they have recently 'won' your custom. you could always keep the Barclays account open and continue to quote it as your 'current account' for new credit though to get round this (just not in the case of this mortgage application).
  • Ash1982
    p.s. why is this thread on the credit card board?! lol
  • ohhhhh I see! I didn't even think about that affecting the score. Bit of a nuisance really :-(.
    Haha, I didnt know how to find my way around the forums to the right one so I just clicked on one in the 'money' catagory.:) Sorry:rotfl:
  • Ash1982
    One last thing, please don't waste anymore more on getting your credit score. Just get a statutory report for £2 in future or you can sign up to noodle(Google it!)
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    edited 17 April 2012 at 11:58AM
    Ash1982 wrote: »
    The score you were given would have gone down as switching your current account can negatively affect your credit score
    Remember that lenders calculate their own credit scores and will never tell you the score. You will either be accepted or declined. Potentially, many things can affect a real credit score but you will not know how until you apply for credit. And if you are refused credit, you will not normally be told exactly why.

The score you are given (or sold) by Experian (Equifax etc.) is not a credit score. It is just a numerical representation of your credit history as held by Experian (or Equifax, etc.).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure