PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

New here and really need to sort myself out(please move if in wrong place)

Comments

• Small success - finished off my Charlie fragrance before going to work yesterday so now I can bin that bottle and move on to the FCUK fragrance my mum got for me 3 Christmases ago that I had forgotten about in favour of those cheap Impulse sprays! :O
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Plus I never know whether its best to shower first thing in the morning or just before I get into bed in the evening and that leaves me even more confused.

I shower or bathe in the evening in winter - right after I make a hot water bottle and turn the heating off for the night. It means I go to bed warm and don't have to worry about wet hair or a cold bathroom in the morning.

In summer I shower in the morning as I tend to sweat in the night and like to go to work fresh.

HTH
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • Yes that does help a lot, thank you :)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'd suggest you try to buy nothing at all in the way of cosmetics or anything else you're hoarding until you've used up what you've got. It might take an age but you'll get through it eventually.

Also, the idea of sorting through everything and making an inventory is a good one as you might have forgotten exactly what you have. One of the tips from Marie Kondo is to store all things of the same 'category' together and that helps.

As for the showers I think it depends on how much time you have in the mornings. Before work is good but if you have 'high maintenance' hair or pushed for time then after work can be better. If we ever get a hot summer then you might need to go for morning and evening.
  • Thank you maman, i will make an inventory and set about storing like items together after tea :)
  • A couple more small successes:

I have sorted through all my things and my newest best stuff is stored in individual containers depending on what it is for, so haircare is in one container, skincare in another and my makeup is in a rather expensive makeup bag I bought a few months ago, plus I cleaned everything before storing it. :D

Last night for tea I did spaghetti Bolognese. I only had to buy the mince as we had half a packet of spaghetti here already, a jar of Bolognese sauce and I spotted half a squeezy tube of tomato puree so popped that in too to use it up and get rid of :)

I also used the last tin of tuna, half a tin of sweetcorn from the other nights jacket potatoes and some salad cream to make a sandwich spread!

I now have the skincare items I want to use the most on my bedside table, and the makeup I want to use up before moving on to my good stuff on my computer desk next to my light up mirror.
  • Another success in the way of helping mum clear out the freezers - had the last ice lolly from a pack of them that must have been bought at least 3 or 4 years ago. Been having the last few over the last couple of days, kind of killing 2 birds with one stone as my throat had been hurting a little and i think the cold helps a bit. Now just got 2 1 litre tubs of ice cream to clear! :rotfl:
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    A word of warning about cosmetics - if you open a new eyeshadow or mascara, you need to use it up within a short space of time, not eke it out for months. This is because it can become contaminated with bacteria after a while, and can lead to a nasty eye infection. Likewise, if you develop conjunctivitis, chuck out all your eye makeup and start afresh once the infection has gone. It is not worth having several colours of shadow, mascara and liner on the go all at once, just stick to one or two basic colours in each. The same applies to lipstick, especially if you are prone to cold sores.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    I recommend clear plastic containers, for smallish things - I use the ones intended for shoe storage - you can see what's in them and they stack.
  • Nargleblast - I actually bought and opened and started using a mascara this time last year, used it for a couple of weeks then left it on the side. Picked it up about a month ago and tossed it straight in the bin as I know what old eye makeup etc can do :/

jackyann - Thank you for that suggestion, I picked up some of those tubs that basically look like miniature linen baskets!

Now I know why I stopped using moisturiser! Just spend the last 20 minutes literally rubbing cream into my legs and it wasn't going anywhere! Other than around and around on my skin! :rotfl:

Once I actually got everything together tho I found I only had 1 and a half moisturisers to use and a body oil. Will the body oil be ok to use in the summer when I go outside? I don't want to put it on and cook my skin if that makes sense?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure