MSE News: Halifax slashes Help to Buy ISA rate for new customers

Halifax has cut the interest rate of its Help to Buy ISA from 4% to 2.5% for new customers...
Read the full story:
'Halifax slashes Help to Buy ISA rate for new customers '
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• pinkdalek
    pinkdalek Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It will soon lower the rate for existing customers just wait. Afterall it is advertised as a variable rate. They did the same with the JISA 6% to 4%.

The scheme though is not to be sniffed at, basically £50 return for every £200 you save towards your new house!

The rate is just a bonus in my opinion. As the article states it is still competitive in the market. Halifax probably cannot afford to keep the rate so high for its newer customers.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,580 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    And it was revealed on MSE first!
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • queserasera_2
    queserasera_2 Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I opened an isa online yesterday and received email containing my new account number etc. But I've not yet paid over the opening deposit, will I still be eligible for the 4% interest rate?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,213 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I opened an isa online yesterday and received email containing my new account number etc. But I've not yet paid over the opening deposit, will I still be eligible for the 4% interest rate?
    Perhaps you could have made a case for getting the 4% rate if it was still being advertised on the website when you applied. However, we have our first report of the rate having been updated on the Halifax website at 6:37 AM yesterday (see existing thread above).
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    MSE_Callum wrote: »
    We believe the following Help to Buy ISAs are currently the best available:...

Get your facts straight Callum! Barclays Help to Buy ISA is 2.27% APR.
    : )
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    MSE_Callum wrote:
    We believe the following Help to Buy ISAs are currently the best available:...
    Get your facts straight Callum! Barclays Help to Buy ISA is 2.27% APR.

Well, if Barclays is only 2.27%, which is worse than Santander's 4% and Virgin's 3% and Halifax's revised 2.5%, it's hardly one of 'the best available' on grounds of paying a high interest rate, is it.

In terms of features/ functionality, Barclays is only paying about a quarter of a percent more than Nationwide or Aldermore (about a fiver extra interest over the first year on the max deposits per month), yet doesn't offer the split ISA feature which those two do.

So, what sort of customer would want the Barclays account? It is not in the top three if getting a top rate of interest is important. It is not one that lets you put away a large total balance if that is important. For what sort of customer, other than a lazy Barclays customer, is it one of the 'best available' options?

I can see why MSE didn't include it in the list of accounts which they believe are the best available. In what world do you think it qualifies as the best available? Am I missing something? I'm not in the market for one of these accounts but just curious .
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    I can see why MSE didn't include it in the list of accounts which they believe are the best available. In what world do you think it qualifies as the best available? Am I missing something? I'm not in the market for one of these accounts but just curious .

I took the MSE article to be a comparison of top rates, which would place the Barclays HTB above the two offering 2%. True, it doesn't offer a split ISA, but as the rate is higher it strikes me as an omission. The article doesn't state it's limiting its scope to the top 3. *shrug*
    : )
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 May 2016 at 3:43AM

If you opened the account on Tuesday 3rd (cant work it out from your post) then you will get the lower rate, as the rate dropped at 6am on Tuesday

What date/time is on your email? that will tell you the information about when the account was opened even if its not been funded.

Don't forget you have window of 21 days to make the initial deposit of up to £1000, followed by the regular payment.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Hi. In your weekly email and news story you wrote:
    Santander is now the only company to offer the top rate of 4% on its Help to Buy ISA
    ... and you feature Santander as the only 4% offering and Virgin Money as the only 3% offering in your Best Buys table.

What about Penrith BS at 4% and Tipton BS at 3%? Below the Best Buys table, you remember to mention them:
    Other providers offering Help to Buy ISAs

There are no circumstances we can think of where these deals beat the ones above – but you’ve asked for a full list, so here it is:

Straight Help to Buy ISAs

• Penrith BS – pays 4% AER variable
    • Tipton BS – pays 3% AER variable
    What’s going on, MSE? Is this because your links to Santander and Virgin Money bring in revenue for you, while the building societies’ links don’t?

Please issue a correction to your weekly email and news story and feature the two building societies alongside Santander and Virgin Money. If you don’t, I and others will be forced to question your impartiality.

Thanks—and please, don’t do this again; you risk losing our trust.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure