PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The KonMarie method

VfM4meplse
VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
Forumite
edited 9 February 2016 at 11:33AM in Old style MoneySaving
I read this book a few days ago having heard about it late last year.

There is a lot of nonsense in this book (of the "possessions have energy", "thank your handbag every day for working so hard" variety), but amongst all that there are a few principals that do make sense, and I'm stunned to say have actually rubbed off on me! I've started this thread as the insights from this book would get lost within the decluttering thread (which I think is brilliantly inspirational, btw).

- firstly, discard. Hold the item and ask yourself, does this item bring you joy? If not, get rid. I struggled with this one at first because something can be of use and I can remember how much each and everything cost me! So I removed of some superficial stuff and then got a taste for it, I just kept on going for a couple of hours but didn't venture anywhere near my clothes. Despite this resolve, I suddenly found myself going through my wardrobe this evening and letting go of expensive items of clothing that do me no favours and I wouldn't actually miss so do not risk buying again.

- secondly, forget about additional storage solutions. This does make sense - law of supply and demand, etc - because it means that you just buy more stuff. From bitter experience, I know this to be true.

- store things differently. Vertical storage means everything is more visible, storing things stacked in top of each other means space gets taken up inefficiently. Aim to create a rectangle of the given item of clothing and then fold and store like a sushi roll (nothing on top of it), Every piece of clothing has a "give" point at which it will stand up (thinner materials will need more folds). Search for "Marie Kondo folding" on YouTube to see how it's done.

- tidy in one go, rather than a room at a time. "One go" could mean over 6 months - the point is tidy all the same family of objects (eg clothes, books, kitchen utensils etc) together in one go. The key here is having everything of that group in one place rather than scattered around in different places.

- ensure everything has a designated place. That way you're not lumbered with tidying all the time, you automatically return any given item to where it belongs. Strangely, this has really worked for me, from encouraging me to do the washing up to itching to clear all surfaces! Weird but true.

- don't stockpile. I can't help this, esp with toiletries - the thought of running out of toothpaste, deodorant, shower gel and handwash fills me with dread, and I love a bargain. The truth is its not a disaster if you do run out, we have 24/7 supermarkets (in cities and suburbs, at least) so nothing is too far out of reach. Where stuff is in units, I can calculate how long it will last me...but really, what is the point? This stuff belongs in a shop. What was anathema to me after a lifetime of hoarding such items seems to have rubbed off on me :o

What is even odder is that getting rid of stuff in this way is inducing a sense of well-being! Try it for yourself before you admit me to a psychiatric unit.

So well done, Marie Kondo. For all my skepticism it is paying off :beer:
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!

Comments

• jinny
    jinny Posts: 1,889
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 6 January 2015 at 6:53AM
    Thanks will take a look at the book.
    I've posted on another declutter thread that I cleared all stuff out of my kitchen and piled it in the dining room.
    My kitchen is tiny and a don't enjoy cooking in there at all.
    However when I made a chilli in the slow cooker for last nights tea I noticed a pleasant light feeling when in there. I enjoyed tea more and put some nice music on to wash up afterwards. I don't know if it's my fancy but I slept much better.
    Funnily enough when I did a bit of sorting out in the dining room full to the brim of the kitchen stuff my mood was very anxious and it felt stifling so it may be right about stuff effecting energy in our homes.
    I use you tube to learn how to fold stuff usually the military style of folding clothes
    The how to fold socks was a revelation to me
    Ive just gone in the kitchen for my morning cuppa wow it lovely so clean and tidy.
    Will finish off the clutter I dining room soon.
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • jinny
    Forumite
    edited 6 January 2015 at 1:11PM
    Update
    Well looked at the book on kindle clicked to buy.... Message said I purchased this book already oops!
    Need to declutter kindle books I guess
    So re downloaded it and before the first chapter was read I got up and de cluttered my huge mountain of kitchen clutter
    3 bags of rubbish/recycle and box for CS
    I need to scrub out the kitchen first before I run out of energy but so pleased with myself. Warped plastic lid city be gone!
    Your right she is a bit off the wall the bit about how a waterfall can be refreshing????
    However she is Japanese so translations and cultures may not transfer the same.
    Very inspirational indeed. There was a Japanese lady at my kids school when they were young she and her kids manners were immaculate
    I invited her to english afternoon tea she wore pearls and twin set for the occasion delightful lady
    Put on some lipstick
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • I'm reading this at the moment! I'm always moaning about needing to get rid of stuff, and find the book really helpful. I actually quite like all the random Japanese madness (and I really want to try standing under a waterfall!)
  • VfM4meplse
    Forumite
    lucy_lemon wrote: »
    I'm reading this at the moment! I'm always moaning about needing to get rid of stuff, and find the book really helpful. I actually quite like all the random Japanese madness (and I really want to try standing under a waterfall!)
    Perhaps treat yourself once your house is in order? ;)

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • jinny
    Forumite
    edited 8 January 2015 at 7:50AM
    Ha ha me too I love some quirky Japanese customs
    I did image that all Japanese people would be extremely tidy
    and neat. I was surprised to find she found a market for her skills there.
    I'm afraid I will have to do with a nice refreshing shower for now.
    There's not many waterfalls in the North east of England.
    Not in these temperatures anyway.

I find her quite charming
    I have watched her interview on you tube
    With subtitles

Her words are very motivating
    Put on some lipstick
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Thank you so much VfM4meplse for starting this thread. We are decluttering (or so I thought) in preparation for moving house. And thanks Jinny for further encouragement to get started.
    I'm going to get off the laptop now and actually go and do some proper tidying and decluttering. After I check out on ebay to fold stuff and google where the nearest waterfall is...
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • asparagus1968
    asparagus1968 Posts: 1,787
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I've been doing this last couple of weeks.
    The folding has been great, (t-shirts,socks and underwear, and carrier bags) have two extra drawers!
    getting rid of the tat/just in case/someone bought this for me stuff has been very "lightening".
    And it is so much easier to relax and get better sleep now, think I,ve de-cluttered my head a bit too.
    got a few friends now folding their carrier bags too:)
    LIVE SIMPLY * GIVE MORE * EXPECT LESS * BE THANKFUL

• VfM4meplse
    Forumite
    rosie383 wrote: »
    Thank you so much VfM4meplse for starting this thread.
    Well done :T

Remember, if it doesn't have a place, it doesn't belong.....;)

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,658
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It was a real eye opener realising that it made much more sense to fold tee shirts so that they could be stood up on their side. I fold them so that they are the depth of the drawer and line them up. No piles to be disturbed if I want the one at the bottom, I can see at a glance what I've got and it makes so much better use of the space I can fit everything in where I couldn't before
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    I need to watch more videos but I'm delighted to report that I did the bathroom. It looks great and felt so good doing it!
    Thank you!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport