Alternative wedding venue ideas?

I'm feeling stuck! I won a wedding photographer for our wedding which is amazing, but we're not wanting to spend thousands on a reception venue. All the venues I've looked at (kent) are really pricey and if they're not, the catering sure is. We need to book a date soon so we don't lose our photographer incase she gets booked up.

Looked into a reception at home, but the gardens aren't quite big enough and the biggest is a rental and I wouldn't want to damage anything.

Are there other alternatives I could go with? Something I'm not thinking of?

Thanks brides!

Comments

• firebird082
    firebird082 Posts: 577 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What sort of wedding are you planning? Village halls are an obvious, cheap reception venue. Do you need a a licensed venue?

You can find a list of all the licensed venues in Kent here: http://www.kent.gov.uk/births-ceremonies-and-deaths/Ceremony-venues.
  • swampduck
    swampduck Posts: 962 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How about you and your husband taking off for a little while to a local beauty spot or place of interest with the photographer. My niece did this for her wedding as the local Hilton didn't quite fit the criteria for nice outdoor wedding photos. They had some spectacular ones done with local Durham scenery along with all the usual family ones in the venue.

Swampy
    Expect the worst, hope for the best, and take what comes!!:o
  • mandragora_2
    mandragora_2 Posts: 2,611 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Don't let the tail wag the dog. Plan your wedding for what you want, and where you want it (we had our reception at home; got married in the town hall, both suited us perfectly). A good photographer will take lovely photos, of the two of you, on your happy day, wherever you are and make it all look fabulous. That's what matters.
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    There's plenty of very photogenic wedding venues even registry offices, Maidstone is stunning and even Rochester has the Catherdral and castle grounds almost opposite.

A good photographer focuses on the people not the surroundings and can make the most ordinary venue look amazing anyway.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • The important thing about wedding is that both of you are happy and relaxed all the time. The most common situation is that young people is usually worried and can´t relax during the entire wedding, which is the worst. Organize all according to your desires and wishes from the location, the food and music, it is important to enjoy the whole day and the rest is not important.
  • Is there a farm near by?
    You could approach the farmer to see if he has a paddock that you could rent and put a marquee on the land?
  • What about a hog roast?
    They are about £500 for 50 people..
  • Evil_Olive
    Evil_Olive Posts: 322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 September 2015 at 9:42AM
    I second village hall - we found a lovely one with a tree-ringed meadow out the back for £150 that let us provide our own catering, though we had to use their bar if we wanted one. We googled 'village hall, place name' and found lots that were run by local residents associations etc that weren't listed elsewhere. It wasn't licenced for weddings but we just did the legal bit elsewhere & had the photos done at the village hall.
    Don’t try to keep up with the Jones’s. They are broke!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure