Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Scott Vodrey
    • By Scott Vodrey 11th Jan 18, 9:04 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Scott Vodrey
    Credit Card Application declined with perfect repayment history
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:04 PM
    Credit Card Application declined with perfect repayment history 11th Jan 18 at 9:04 PM
    Hi,

I'm hoping that any of my fellow forum users can help me with a deeply frustrating situation I'm having with a recent credit card application.

I applied for a platinum Barclaycard and as I have never been refused credit, I was confident that I would succeed. However, not only was I declined but their credit agency of choice Equifax and Barclays continually give me conflicting information about why I was declined and my credit history.

To begin with, I am a fastidious, near paranoid bill payer and as such, I have never missed a payment on so much as a magazine subscription in 20 years. As soon as I was declined, I obtained the credit reports of both myself and my only financial associate (my wife) and there isn't a single blemish across either report, which I have kept for my records.

Although Barclays is investigating my complaint, I have been told that a manual search on my history via Equifax showed a late payment within the last 12 months; something that Equifax themselves have denied during my calls to them this week. My credit reports don't show any evidence of any late payments during the last 6 years either.

Do any of you have any experience with this kind of problem? I'm unsure as to what to do next but as a final kicker, I was told that the impact of the declined solution would be negligible only to have my credit score drop 29 points overnight!

If I'm not a suitable customer, I can accept this all day long but I won't sit back and accept a 29 point drop and a refused hard credit search for something that seemingly contradicts reality.

Thank you for any help!

Scott
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Jan 18, 9:06 PM
    • 14,813 Posts
    • 15,651 Thanks
    zx81
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:06 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:06 PM
    If you have a good credit file, you may simply not meet their target market.

Whatever you do, don't fret over a 29 point drop in a made up score from someone who won't ever lend you money. So sit back and relax.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 11th Jan 18, 10:23 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:23 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:23 PM
    Which shows you how "reliable" credit scores are.

Barclays would have assessed the data on your files and scored you off the back of their own system.

So try another provider and watch the score drop... Then go up again... Then drop when the moon phase changes.
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 12th Jan 18, 6:25 AM
    • 2,837 Posts
    • 2,075 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 12th Jan 18, 6:25 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 6:25 AM
    There's a whole lot of missing info;

Earnings?

Existing debt?

And has been said ignore the score.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

682Posts Today

6,617Users online

Martin's Twitter