Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FLE123
    • By FLE123 29th Dec 17, 4:21 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 1Thanks
    FLE123
    Rebanding Council Tax in apartment blocks
    • 29th Dec 17, 4:21 PM
    Rebanding Council Tax in apartment blocks 29th Dec 17 at 4:21 PM
    Hi. A neighbour mentioned that I may be eligible for a council tax rebanding as I'm the only one bedroom apartment in a block of 12. The other 11 apartments all have two bedrooms yet we're all on the same band - C. Looking at properties close by on my road, I'm again in the same banding as other two bedroom flats (band C) - some are purpose built and others are in Victorian conversions which tend to have a higher value. Using the moneysavings calculator my property was valued at £48,041 in 1991 - band B.

So although I'm not on a higher band - I am on the same band as larger properties / properties with one more bedroom than I have which are of higher value than my place.

Is this a valid reason for appealing for a rebanding?

Thanks for all your help - first time user on the forum!
Page 1
    • CIS
    • By CIS 29th Dec 17, 4:48 PM
    • 10,182 Posts
    • 5,837 Thanks
    CIS
    • 29th Dec 17, 4:48 PM
    • 29th Dec 17, 4:48 PM
    Remember though that Band C has a range of £52-£68k in 1991. With the inherent inaccuracies in house price calculators the property could still scrape in at the bottom end of the Band C.

The only way you would find out is to contact the VOA and ask them to look at the banding.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,313Posts Today

9,525Users online

Martin's Twitter