ATB'S Frugal Foray to Freedom

atypicalblonde
atypicalblonde Posts: 3,057 Forumite
edited 26 May 2017 at 6:50AM in Mortgage-free wannabe
Good Afternoon All :)

So much has changed since my last diary, I felt now was the right time to start a new one. Linkie to the old one is here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5171678 if anyone wants a look-see!

A little about me for those who haven't 'met' me before. I am married to a fabulous DH, who runs his own business. There are major peaks and troughs to that, some months we are brassic and others we feel quite flush. It is a precarious balance at times, and we have to deal with constant late payers, tax bills etc, but on the whole it is worth it. DH job is very physically demanding though, and he works away all week.

We have two kiddies - DD is 4 and DS is 2. They are my world :A

Our outstanding mortgage as at today's date is bang on £141,900. When I began my old diary at the start of last year it was £171k, so we have done pretty well thusfar :) However, my income is greatly reduced now as I no longer work - I am officially a home-maker, and that is how it will stay for the foreseeable.

To clear our mortgage before we are 40 (i.e. 9 years time) is the grand plan. I would ideally like to do it in half that time, but 9 years is do-able and requires monthly OPs of £750.

I now have a spreadsheet (thank you hiddenshadow) and an obsession with only having 000 at the end of the mortgage (thank you A Frayed Knot!), and most importantly a frugal mind-set. We need to make each penny do the work of 3, whilst remembering to have some fun on the way.

The first target is to get into the 30s by Christmas... wish me luck, come along for the ride (but make sure you bring tea and biccies!)

ATB xx
MFW :)
[STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020

Comments

• Shiny new diary! :) (And thanks for the shout-out. ;))
  • Lovely up to date Diary :) and great to see your mortgage ending in 000.00 :D

Thanks for the shout out - think the 000.00 might be catching on :D

Might be looking for that spreadsheet soon ;)
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • Good evening all,

Really lovely day here, did a few niggly jobs, cleaned the house (apart from the bathroom, I promise I'll do it tomorrow!), and finished with a delicious lamb dinner and the fire lit - heaven.

In search of inspiration I have been reading over some diaries from the beginning, namely Tilly and Watty. Ladies you have inadvertently given me a kick up the derrière and inspired me - thank you :T

OP of £100 made, I quite fancy being in the 30s by 1st November so that's my next mini goal :):)

Batch cooking planned for tomorrow, and baking with DS. All meals planned for the weekend so I am hoping for a low/no spend weekend

Night all xx
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
  • A lovely day. Did some volunteering this morning, then some batch cooking and baking. DH still away with work which is tricky but I must focus on the positives :)

Had a low spend day - bought a beautiful wrap, t-shirt and bedroom hook for DS room from the local charity shop for the grand total of £10 - fab :)

Have lovely evenings all xx
  • Good morning all,

Really happy - we sold DH old clapped out car last night, and the chap collected and paid in cash immediately. That's a few 100 in the pot, so guess what I'll be doing once I've paid it in on Monday :rotfl: nearly at the 30s!

Have lovely days all x
  • I really must learn to read the whole post. Eyes nearly popped out my head when I read;-

[FONT=&quot]Really happy - we sold DH [/FONT]:eek::eek::eek: then read what followed, phew :naughty: I knew you wouldn't really sell DH :love: :kisses3: hmm :think::think::whistle::whistle:
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I love a new diary, great to see you back ATB.

I love how even in the first page your goal of hitting the 130's has changed from getting there by Christmas, then altered to November and you're nearly there in October!
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • Hmm maybe just some days AFK! :) Thanks for popping by Cath, I read your diary daily for inspiration xx

Morning campers :)

Been up since silly o'clock again, but the house is thankful! I have cleaned the kitchen, sorted laundry, made DH breakfast butty and packed lunch (he's at work today) and made myself bacon and eggs. Gammon is in the slow cooker for dinner too :)

My lovely friend is having the kids this morning so I can get DH food for the week and cook some dinners in advance (he is working away, self-catering, so I make his meals in advance).

Mortgage payment goes out tomorrow, so hopefully then I will have a clear picture of just how much we need to find to get into the 30s by month end.

Ooooh I just love these chilly, sunny autumn mornings :)

Have lovely days all xx
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I love these chilly autumn morning too & am impressed by how much you've done this morning already.

What sort of meals do you make for your OH to take with him? My gf works away a lot but stays in hotels so trying to think of things I can pre make her :)
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Shiny new diary...its like a new car. I fully agree that this is the best weather. Cold, crisp mornings whcih are perfect for dog walks!

My top tip is to stick a target for each month into post one, then cross off. Its worked a treat for me this year, and is good for a quick glance when you log in to on your phone/tablet and have no spreadsheet handy.
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure