PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

make do and mend for tougher times

Comments

• grandma247 wrote: »
    We use Basmati rice but I am pretty sure this will work for any white rice. I just add one cup of rice to two of water and put the lid on the pan , bring it to the boil then turn off the heat. DO NOT PEEK. Leave it 15 mins and it will be cooked. Basmati will cook a little quicker but I leave it till I am ready to serve.

Thanks grandma will try that. Hard to believe that years ago I did cook everything from scratch, make jam and some preserves, did all my own DIY including decorating, laying carpets, even put new on roof way back but this darling condition has made me forget so much and knocked my confidence over doing things I used to be able to do in my sleep. I sometimes sit here and think I must have dreamed doing this or that. I have to constantly relearn things drives me nuts. I have Basmati, White and Wild Rice in ( that will take a lot longer)

Forgive me I can see am a bit down today, lack of sleep, worry about my baby and the others and not taking anti-depressants(am on a low maintenance dose) as just plain forgot to take them past few days and on me I notice the difference with in a day or so if do or don't take them.......must remember to start again tonight.

Will go and give myself a kick put some clothes on, still in towelling robe after shower two hours ago, and go into garden to soak up some sunlight.

Hugs and Love to all xx
    Need to get back to getting finances under control now kin kid at uni as savings are zilch

Fashion on a ration coupon 2021 - 21 left
  • LavenderBees
    LavenderBees Posts: 1,718
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    edited 1 September 2012 at 2:53PM
    Sunshine4 wrote: »
    Had a friend ring me this morning and asked if I would like some onions as her husband brough some home fron his brothers farm. Yes please.

She has just left well the few onions turned out to be a sackfull.
    As there is only two of us, can I chop and slice some and put them in the freezer to put in soups and stews over winter. Would that be okay ?

Definitely can freeze onions. The only downside is that sometimes the onion smell infiltrates the rest of the freezer. I freeze mine raw, but I think I've read somewhere that others cook then freeze. I haven't tried that. i don't see why that wouldn't work though, and means no cooking when you want to use them.:)
  • katieowl_2
    katieowl_2 Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    Ca-ching....Mr T had a labelling error. 'Cool Oil' which we really like but rarely buy as it's £8.99 a bottle, was shelf edge marked at £2.24 a bottle. Slipped all five remaining bottles into my trolley and it went through - @ £2.24 :D

Oh how it pays to know what the normal price of something is :rotfl:

Kate
  • Thank you LavenderBees.

There is just so many of them dont want to waste any.
    Now I know what I am doing for the rest of the afternoon.:D
    C.R.A.P. R.O.O.L.Z. Member. 21 Norn Iron deputy h
  • grandma247
    grandma247 Posts: 2,412
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I definitely used to get an onioney whiff every time I opened the freezer door when I froze onions. They get dehydrated these days.
  • Sunshine4 wrote: »
    Thank you LavenderBees.

There is just so many of them dont want to waste any.
    Now I know what I am doing for the rest of the afternoon.:D

Good luck! I don't honestly envy you, but you'll benefit once it's done. It's one of those jobs I hate but get real job satisfaction from.
  • meme30
    meme30 Posts: 534 Forumite
    Well we had a lovely hours ramble along the fields and old railway line today. My total haul of blackberries is 12 just 12 not oz's just 12!!!:(

Most bushes don't have flowers on never mind berries. We did find some with small green berries on them. We also managed to find some Sloe bushes with green turning purple berries on so we will wait until they ripen. I had a chat with the farmers wife and she says none of their Damson or Cherry trees have produced any fruit either!:eek:
    I think it's going to be a hard winter for the wildlife, very little food here for them.
    Give us the strength to encounter that which is to come, that we may be brave in peril, constant in tribulation, temparate in wrath, and in all changes of fortune, and down to the gates of death, loyal and loving to one another.”
  • Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    Fuddle, I don't want to sound like the thread police, but codes should only be offered on the code thread. I found out the hard way. :o
  • Grandma Would love a dehydrator, its on my wish list
    C.R.A.P. R.O.O.L.Z. Member. 21 Norn Iron deputy h
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Sunshine - how about making up some onion soup to freeze and some caramelised onion chutney.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure