My spending and debt free diary!

Options
After lurking for a very long time I've decided to start my own journey! I've been debt free before then decided to spend more than our means! It's now got to the point I'm spending on the credit cards for no reason at all and just for silly things for the house!

I've always planned to make sure we had emergency savings in case something happened but we never quite got there and something happened! My husband was cycling home from work when he hit the curb to hard and fell off his bike! He broke his elbow and now has to have 6 weeks off work! He took a holiday for the first week but we now have 5 weeks of sick pay! It will be a reduction of nearly £300 per payday! He gets paid fortnightly. Luckily his dad said he will pay our rent for the month and it's just the council tax we have to find but its so stressful! Savings would have been great! :rotfl:

He goes back to work on 26th July so counting down the days! I'm going to use this as a 'what we spent today' diary then hopefully when we have a regular income again a debt free diary!

Anyway some background! We are a family of four! My dd will be 7 in 2 weeks and my ds will be 4 on Xmas day! My and my dh have been married for 5 years! Life is good apart from money! My husband works full time but on a zero hour contract:mad: and I am a carer for my uncle. Will post a soa soon!

With love x
MBNA- £740 now - £550 DFS - £366 now - £320.25 Barclays - £1966.50 now - £1811.40
TOTAL NOW: £2681.65

Comments

• Roxanne1988
    Roxanne1988 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Today has been a nsd! :j

We have had a very busy day! My brother is hopefully getting a car valet business up and running so did a practice run on my car for free! It looks amazing and like a brand new car again!

I finished painting my daughters room. Still needs another coat :mad: good body magic though!

My daughter was invited to a birthday party. Gift found under my bed from unwanted Christmas gifts! No spend there! We all ended up going to the party took some money for drinks but they had some ready for the kids and we just sipped theirs!! Kids keeping themselves busy with drawing till its bath and bed time!

Going to have a proper look at all our accounts tonight and get actual figures for our debt and were we are finically!

X
    MBNA- £740 now - £550 DFS - £366 now - £320.25 Barclays - £1966.50 now - £1811.40
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good luck Roxanne ! Hope hubby better soon.
  • UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the board :D
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • LadyP01
    LadyP01 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hey welcome and good luck.

Sorry to hear about your dh there's a few boards on here who have gone through the same thing with sick pay it's a killer especially for that long.
  • Roxanne1988
    Options
    We still don't have a clue how much he will get! We know it's £89 on the government website but some girl from his works was on sick the other month and she only got £52 and his boss said it was £52! We will wait and see!

Thank you for your welcomes! Xx
  • Roxanne1988
    Options
    Been a busy day but a low spend day!

Had to return some paint we never used so that was £10 back in the bank!

My mum and dad bought a little puppy today so they gave me £15 for some essentials for him but we ended up spending £19.85 so we put in the £4.85. We went the shop to buy wallpaper paste which we completely forgot! (Too busy shopping for puppy!) so we will have to make a trip to the diy store in the morning! :mad:

Hubby had a physio therapy appointment at the hospital luckily we still have free parking at the hospital if you ever find a parking space! Twenty minutes of driving round I finally found one! We took our son with us but he was beyond bored ended up at the hospital shop so spent £3.80 on two ice creams and a bottle of pop.

Mum kindly cooked tea for us so I can use the food planned on another meal! My husbands bank account is dwindling quickly and we are still none the wiser how much he will get on the 7th! Taking it day by day! Physio said he is making progress another appointment booked for 17th then hopefully he will be ready for work!:j

Total spent: £8.65 - :mad: nothing essential bought need to stop spending on silly things!

Much love
    X
  • Roxanne1988
    Options
    Forgot I put £5 in our nephews birthday card for the end of the month so our total spend for today was £13.64!

Tomorrows plans are to get the wallpaper paste and start the wallpaper! My daughter has requested a new unicorn themed room for her birthday! Hopefully a low spend day tomorrow! X
  • Roxanne1988
    Options
    Today's spends so far are £5.90 in diy shop for paste and brush!

We are running out of food and its shop day tomorrow! Tempted to do a big freezer shop on the credit card but I know that's defeating the objective and I'm meant to be saving money not spending more on the credit card. We won't get a decent wage till at least 18th August it's going to prove costly if we keep adding things to the cards.

Will make some dinner from the food we have left then will make a proper shopping list for tomorrow! We have been managing on £35 a week for four of us and its getting tough!

Hubby arm seems much better today so hopefully on track go back to work! X
  • Roxanne1988
    edited 5 July 2017 at 1:29PM
    Options
    So it's about 9.30am and I'm already spent up! Today was my weekly payday so had to buy petrol and groceries!

Petrol: £15 (instead of my usual £20 hope we can make it last!)
    Groceries: £44.85 (we normally budget £50 but been trying to keep it around £35 whilst hubby is on sick but I'm happy with this we needed a lot of food!)
    Car fund: £25 (this is towards our monthly car payment we have to take £50 out each week to make sure we have enough for the payment at the end of the month!)

Total so far: £84.85 :eek:

Going shopping with my mum later on this morning hopefully I won't spend anymore as I'm just there for company!

Xx

Update:
    Phone credit: £20 (for both phones)
    Shopping: £9.25 in b&m (£4 for a present rest was on junk

Total: £ 114.10 for today! Hopefully no more!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure