Cancelled adele concert tickets issue

Options
Inigo_Montoya
Inigo_Montoya Posts: 1,214 Forumite
First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
I sold a couple of adele concert tickets back in december 2016 (over 180 days ago) by paypal

the concert has just been cancelled so I told the buyer I would refund if the concert wasnt rescheduled

the buyer has said she wants a refund even if the concert is rescheduled but Im not sure I want to agree to that if I cant get a refund myself for those ticket from the distributor

if she doesnt like this answer is there a way she can still open a credit card dispute so I end up with a paypal chargeback problem ?
- apparently normally its a 180 days limit but ive read on the internet that people appear to have been subject to them after this limit

If she manages to do a credit card chargeback will my paypal account be deducted or will her own account go negative instead ?

She cant open a standard paypal dispute as its more than 180 days

hopefully the concert wont be rescheduled so this issue will disappear

Comments

• Tealblue
    Tealblue Posts: 929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You're entitled to a refund whether or not the concert is rescheduled. See http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/can-i-get-a-refund-on-my-ticket
  • Inigo_Montoya
    edited 1 July 2017 at 11:06AM
    Options
    thats good to hear

also having just read this
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/guides/article-2523075/What-Christmas-purchases-wrong-How-chargeback-help-money-back.html

it says a buyer can file a CC chargeback up to 120 days after the actual date of the event and not the date of the transaction
  • MrJones1
    MrJones1 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    In this case the buyer has stated that she wants a refund even if the concert is rescheduled. She should get a refund. I don't think that it will be a problem for you. Most ticket sellers for big gigs are members of the Society of Ticket Agents and Retailers. It means that they have to follow its code of practice. If a gig is cancelled or rescheduled, you are entitled to a full refund. The refund however doesn't extend to lost travel costs or rearranging the travel.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The buyer may be able to open a dispute. Paypal's buyer protection has a caveat for Event tickets, which although woolly does give a buyer some help.
    13.11 Event tickets

In certain cases, if you purchase a ticket or pay for the right to attend an event from a Payment Recipient who is a UK registered PayPal Account holder (“Event”), all monies paid by you may be held by PayPal on trust for you, so that the beneficial interest in such monies remains with you until the performance of the Event in question.

Ultimately it is not the fault of the buyer that the event has been cancelled, in her/his shoes I would also prefer to have a full refund. What is to say she keeps the ticket, the event is rescheduled but as the original purchaser you claim a refund. She may turn up to the event with an invalid ticket.

Refund. You won't want a chargeback on your account, they come with a £14 fee and they may also retain your Paypal fees.

What platform did you use to sell them?
  • Inigo_Montoya
    edited 4 July 2017 at 11:49AM
    Options
    I will be refunding the buyer (the event isnt being rescheduled)

However Paypal will take their pound of flesh from me as they remove the 'issue refund' button after 180 days so there is no way to claim their not insignificant fees back

Furthermore the buyer will also get charged paypal fees on the refund I send unless I use send money to friends/family or dont use paypal - however if i do that it leaves me vulnerable because should the buyer do a CC chargeback as well then I end up refunding twice & fees on top

There is still potential for dispute with the buyer as I do not intend to refund the £6.45 cost of posting the tickets by special delivery as this was an optional cost - I offered posting or free collection from me on the event day - i do not think this is unreasonable but no doubt there will be people who will say I should refund that too

Hopefully when I explain to the buyer that I have non refundable paypal fees to pay & that Im prepared to pay them in a way that means they dont incur paypal fees themselves they will accept the £6.45 amoutn I wont be refunding

I sold the tickets on gumtree

thank you very much adele - please mime next time & save me the headache
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I will be refunding the buyer (the event isnt being rescheduled)

However Paypal will take their pound of flesh from me as they remove the 'issue refund' button after 180 days so there is no way to claim their not insignificant fees back

Furthermore the buyer will also get charged paypal fees on the refund I send unless I use send money to friends/family or dont use paypal - however if i do that it leaves me vulnerable because should the buyer do a CC chargeback as well then I end up refunding twice & fees on top

There is still potential for dispute with the buyer as I do not intend to refund the £6.45 cost of posting the tickets by special delivery as this was an optional cost - I offered posting or free collection from me on the event day - i do not think this is unreasonable but no doubt there will be people who will say I should refund that too

Hopefully when I explain to the buyer that I have non refundable paypal fees to pay & that Im prepared to pay them in a way that means they dont incur paypal fees themselves they will accept the £6.45 amoutn I wont be refunding

I sold the tickets on gumtree

thank you very much adele - please mime next time & save me the headache

If you ring Paypal, they will be able to refund through the original transaction for you. They will also sort out the fees if you do it this way and you won't be out of pocket other than the 20p transaction fee.

Personally I think you should suggest splitting the Special Delivery fee.
  • highnal
    highnal Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just had my confirmation from Eventim on my Adele tickets refund.

Booking fee isn't included in the refund.

£6.50 per ticket! Ridiculous.
  • Inigo_Montoya
    edited 6 July 2017 at 10:38AM
    Options
    highnal wrote: »
    Just had my confirmation from Eventim on my Adele tickets refund.

Booking fee isn't included in the refund.

£6.50 per ticket! Ridiculous.

Was half expecting they would not refund the booking & delivery fee - for me its a total of £34

i will attempt a visa chargeback if I get that too

not acceptable IMO

I suspect there will be some small print somewhere that gives them the 'right' not to refudnthe booking fee but thats an unfair contract clause IMO

there are going to be 100s of thousands of unhappy ticket buyers
  • countingbeans
    Options
    I agree - I am awaiting my refund for these tickets from Songkick - I've checked their T&C's and it says refund will include booking fee but not delivery - I can live with this as this was £2.50

However looking at Eventim's T&C's - they say they will refund ticket cost only and not booking fee. Totally agree that this doesn't seem fair at all; especially given it is such a high proportion of the ticket price!
  • Inigo_Montoya
    Options
    I agree - I am awaiting my refund for these tickets from Songkick - I've checked their T&C's and it says refund will include booking fee but not delivery - I can live with this as this was £2.50

However looking at Eventim's T&C's - they say they will refund ticket cost only and not booking fee. Totally agree that this doesn't seem fair at all; especially given it is such a high proportion of the ticket price!

mine were from songkick too so thats a relief - can live with the £4 delivery charge
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure