Depositing large amount of money - notice to bank

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to request a call back via call center from the relevant Hsbc branch manager?

I am to receive a large amount of money from abroad and would like to give the bank previous notice to avoid ML freezes etc etc.
I am not too happy about dealing with a call center operator hence my request form a manager.

Is it still possible to speak to a bank manager nowdays?

Thanks

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Probably not, but you could just ask them "what do I need to do in advance of a large deposit from abroad?" To get the ball rolling.
  • MarcoM
    MarcoM Posts: 798 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    thanks for your reply.
    i am wondering if it would be wise to tell someone in tha call center about this
    or if it would be best to tell someone face to facecassuming of course there are people left in hsbc branches rather than atms.
    i am concerned about inside fraud.
    what would you do in my shoes?
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    If you know how much, in what format, is being paid in & when, then rock up after 6 hours clutching origin paperwork, (a copy Will for example or a letter or something to explain it), likely the bank won't hit top C.
    If you anticipate issues of theft then make sure the originating bank deposit info is photographed & emailed to you and yell Fraud loudly if it doesn't come through.

Or you can try to divide it all down into under £7K lumps but that'll look a bit odd & is more nervous wear & tear & fees - frankly if it's legal & you can show that, you have little to worry about. Though I might check I had £200 in cash &/or another bank account while it was clearing and being settled, as I'm an untrusting so-&-so.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    MarcoM wrote: »
    i am concerned about inside fraud.
    what would you do in my shoes?

Well I certainly wouldn't be worrying about inside fraud, while it's not impossible there's a vanishingly small chance of anything happening.

I very much doubt if you will have any way of contacting someone with AML responsibility who would be able to take note of in advance of the money arriving so that they could let it through. The checks will either happen or they won't, HSBC will have an algorithm that will decide whether to flag it up, and it's unlikely anyone can prevent that. As Dig says, make sure you have money elsewhere just in case (which of course you should always do anyway as nobody knows when access to an account might become unavailable for a variety of reasons).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure