Fencing quote

Comments

• Drachenfach
    Drachenfach Posts: 171 Forumite
    The only thing holding up the current fence is the wire for the electrics in the garage (don't ask). 4 of the wooden posts have snapped off at ground level so the whole lot is teetering drunkenly over next door's vegetable patch.

I really really don't want to have to do this myself! I do have some brawny mates to help out if needed, but as they prefer to be paid in beer I can see the new fence looking as p1ssed as the old one!
  • bretts
    bretts Posts: 470 Forumite
    Beers are going to be a lot cheaper though
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 May 2016 at 6:52AM
    Just get more quotes, there are more than 2 fence companies in your area. One person could do it but the trick is getting things perfectly lined up and straight. I use 3 bags of postcrete per concrete post to ensure things are solid; it's heavy work. I'd guess a 2-man team might take 2 days to get the job done perfectly. Plus waste away. £800 labour, £100 waste. £30 per panel, £10 per gravel board, £20 per post, £3 per panel fixtures, £15 per panel postcrete = roughly £900 materials.

So I'd reckon £1800 is reasonable (materials costs above include profit margin for the contractor as they need to arrange and collect/get delivered).
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Well, im in Epsom, Sry & since the storm have been trying to get an estimate for Fencing repairs, not one of the 5 nearest ive left messages for have rung back!!
  • bretts
    edited 6 May 2016 at 9:34AM
    Its the same case here, I have called in about 15 companies and none of them called back, only one guy picked up and he said I will come and see you but never turned up. I wish I was not into a 9 to 5 job but a builder :) believe me good ones are scarce these days. And to top it all off I am in london.

Anyone got on doing the job DIY from the post yet? I am still digging out the old fence posts which are concrete and huge at the base as they all are I guess.
  • Drachenfach
    Drachenfach Posts: 171 Forumite
    Just coming back to this one to advise that we got a second quote for £1700 for the same job, so will probably go with that one.

The dog unearthed a very very dead chicken (as in pet, not ready to roast in tray) from behind the stones holding up one bit of the fence, so all the more reason to get someone else in to deal with it in case there are any other horrible surprises lurking round there.
  • bmthmark
    bmthmark Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Just an update on my fence panels. Over the weekend I've just replaced 10 panels with concrete posts and gravel boards.
    I was lucky to have 3 others helping me, there is no way anyone could do this on their own unless they are super strong and have really long arms.
    We started at 8am and finished 3pm, we mixed our own cement using rapid dry cement. This helped a lot as it set very quickly so we were able to move on to the next post fast.
    I also purchased a fence post spade that helped keep the holes small and compact.
    The difficult bit I had was that the garden slopes slightly so it was tricky to know how to deal with the slope.
    I'm glad I did this on my own (with help from friends) as it was a lot easier than I thought it would be and I saved myself £1k in labour costs :)
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Well, im in Epsom, Sry & since the storm have been trying to get an estimate for Fencing repairs, not one of the 5 nearest ive left messages for have rung back!!
    Im still waiting! Any fencers Epsom area interested?
  • bretts
    bmthmark wrote: »
    Just an update on my fence panels. Over the weekend I've just replaced 10 panels with concrete posts and gravel boards.
    I was lucky to have 3 others helping me, there is no way anyone could do this on their own unless they are super strong and have really long arms.
    We started at 8am and finished 3pm, we mixed our own cement using rapid dry cement. This helped a lot as it set very quickly so we were able to move on to the next post fast.
    I also purchased a fence post spade that helped keep the holes small and compact.
    The difficult bit I had was that the garden slopes slightly so it was tricky to know how to deal with the slope.
    I'm glad I did this on my own (with help from friends) as it was a lot easier than I thought it would be and I saved myself £1k in labour costs :)

So you think it was easy?
    I have managed to remove all the old concrete posts and will not start digging to get the new ones in.
  • bmthmark
    bmthmark Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    bretts wrote: »
    So you think it was easy?
    I have managed to remove all the old concrete posts and will not start digging to get the new ones in.

It was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. I originally planned to spend Saturday and Sunday doing this. But we got it done on the Saturday, I did have 3 other people helping me.

I did cheat slightly, instead of digging up the old concrete (lots of it) I just dug up the first one, I then cut one panel in half and fitted that, this then made all the others really easy as I never had to dig up the old concrete. The post digging tool I bought (from wickes for £30) then made it really easy to dig the hole for the new post.
    But if you have already dug the old concrete out you have done the hard bit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure