Rockdoor quote

I got a quote today for a Rockdoor - it was £1827 for a white Carolina about 850x2000mm.

I know they're expensive and the company I asked are quite large (fancy showroom etc) so I was expecting a bit of a markup, but having seen the doors online for around £900, I thought charging double this was quite steep?

What sort of price would be more reasonable? I'm waiting to hear back from a smaller company who sell them, but other than that the other companies I found either no longer sell them or try to convince me they're no good.

Comments

• Is this just door and frame with no side frames if so thats a rip off .where in the country are you
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • Just a door, frame and cill to replace all timber - no side window or anything. This was a company in Bucks, but I'm in Berkshire.
  • up north no more than 1k
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • I was hoping no more than £1200, is that too optimistic for this area?
    The company I'm waiting to hear back from are in Surrey, so they might not be much cheaper. Other than that I'm struggling to find places to get quotes from.

I live up north, but helping my mum out with her house - the difference in our utility bills is surprising enough, but looking into doors and windows is a real eye-opener!
  • docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    This is my door :D

doorafter.jpg

The only way I did this fo the prce I wanted to pay was to buy it from a supplier in Birmingham (5 miles from where they're made) and pay a fitter seperate. I think the door was 1k and the fitter wanted 200.

If u want the number of where I got it from i'll dig it out.
  • docmatt
    Found it, the door was 750 (12 months ago) fitting 200.
  • docmatt wrote: »
    This is my door :D

The only way I did this fo the prce I wanted to pay was to buy it from a supplier in Birmingham (5 miles from where they're made) and pay a fitter seperate. I think the door was 1k and the fitter wanted 200.

If u want the number of where I got it from i'll dig it out.

Very nice! :D

Did you find a fitter who had fitted a Rockdoor before?
    How does doing this effect the 10 year guarantee? I think the Rockdoor guarantee says something about only being valid if the door is fitted in accordance with their installation procedure. Not sure if that means it has to be an approved installer or just that it needs to be fitter correctly by anyone who does it. Did your fitter give you a separate guarantee instead/as well?

I've spoken to 3 companies now who said they used to install them but don't anymore as they had trouble with either the door or Rockdoor customer service - they suggested either Solidor or Rocal instead - I still really like the Rockdoors though!
  • docmatt
    Yes he had done a few before, he was just a freelance window fitter. I recall the black rockdoors had problems.
  • docmatt wrote: »
    Yes he had done a few before, he was just a freelance window fitter. I recall the black rockdoors had problems.

Thanks, will see if I can find a local fitter then.

The Surrey company got back to me with a ballpark figure of £1300 - although the guy rang me from a number that I've found is actually for a different company who are based in Berkshire instead, all a bit confusing.

I tried a local trade place today, whose website says they provide Rockdoors, but they said they've changed to Hallmark, so that's quite a few companies who have changed supplier now, hope that's not a bad sign.
  • docmatt
    Which design is it and I'll ask the place I bought mine from
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills